The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Excitement for the Lost

This morning in church our pastor delivered possibly his best sermon that I’ve heard him preach. It was on Luke 15 and was about the elder brother.

Anyway, at one point he exhorted us that we needed to get as excited about the lost being saved as the angels in heaven do. In the past, I would have had in the back of my mind the reason being that it’s one less person who’ll burn in torment forever and ever. Now, with my (newfound) belief in EU, I’m wondering what that reason would be. Is it because that’s another person on the team, or another person who’ll be able to have an abundant life, or other things?

Nothing more delightful than gaining another brother or sister! I think part of the appreciation comes through the long and arduous fight, the struggle, the burden and that birthing process that Paul referred to. But it’s all so worth that deep bond we acquire with them.

Actually it was wanting to share the wonderful, incomparable treasure of the presence of God that led me to universalism. I wasn’t even all that worried (at least not as much as I should’ve been!) about the fate of those who rejected Christ as C.S. Lewis’ picture of hell was pretty satisfactory to me - after all, if they choose it, it’s up to them!

But having become overwhelmed by God’s bewildering and magnificent loving presence, an experience that grew over the years and finally culminated at this point, wanted absolutely everyone to experience it - not even JUST everyone on earth today but all those who had ever lived or ever would. That became the focus of my missions and caused me to end up at such dark places as ChristianBurner.com (where I pleasantly surprised someone with a hint of universalism). My heart was overflowing and I simply could not imagine even one single person being left out.

I think that this is the proper interpretation of the prodigal son. In a day and age where people clung to their family, the son is invited to take part in all that his father has for him and thus all of his father. He welcomes him with wide open arms, running toward him on the road cue the song And God Ran…

Do we need any further proof that it’s the person themselves who are valuable? Not merely their salvation like some cheap commercial enterprise. When we see God’s unmistakable touch on someone’s life, well… it just causes the heart to tremble in awe. Mine at least. Those touches are so rare, it’s simply an awesone treasure.

I mean, we should also be happy they’re escaping misery as well. Perhaps it’s best that they realize their misery first even (and the realization is hell). But when they come back around it’s high time for rejoicing!

I personally have this deeply embedded sense of longing, this intense need to experience more of God through experiencing more of the variety of the different facets that different siblings bring out of God for me. To FEEL that dep supernatural bond of longing and love, of fulfillment and deep crying out to deep, of love spreading and multiplying everywhere, as the thousand splendors in Dante said,

“Lo, here now is one who will increase our loves…”

It’s hard to follow after such a passionate reply :smiley: Anyway, there are many reasons to rejoice at seeing someone become a believer, here’s just a handful:

]The person is no long on the road away from God but on one towards Him./]
]It’s similar to being happy when someone is recovering from a sever illness./]
]They have found the Way, the Truth and the Life./]
]They are now in a much better relationship with God./]
]They have the Holy Spirit to help them live as God intended./]
]If they are blessed with seeing EU as true, that’s even cooler, as they can rejoice in knowing God won’t loose anyone, including all their loved ones. What’s more, no good deed or love is wasted, as it all plays a part in God’s big plan (as opposed to ECT, where my love is “wasted” on 90% of people, as God secretly hates them :open_mouth: )./]

It is - but it’s the attitude I wish I encountered more often from Christians (Total Victory’s posts often affect me in the same way). It’s in those passionate and selfless displays that I see a glimpse of God dragging me toward his son.

That’s a question that universalists are often posed with, and I think the reason it’s difficult to answer is that the threat of hopeless torment is such an enormity that anything less seems a relief. So they ask, “How do you explain the urgency of evangelism, if everyone will be saved in the end?”

For one thing, they won’t be saved except by the evangelism.

But the main reason for the urgency is the restoration of the individual to righteousness and proper relationship with the Father, mankind, and the cosmos.

While the prodigal son was blowing his inheritance in evil and selfish living, would you tell him, “It’s okay to do this, whenever you choose to go back, your Father will welcome you with open arms.” Is this the lesson of the parable? No!

Was not his Father grieving for him the whole time he was “enjoying” himself, and is that not reason enough for urgency? “Your Father loves you and it hurts Him to see you destroying yourself and walking the path of destruction. Turn back! --before you are destitute and find yourself covered in filth and eating pig-slop!”

But I agree–the motivation is different. From an ECT standpoint there’s a dreadful desperation to save people before the deadline falls and they are irretrievably lost without hope–the prodigal will forever live in the pigpen. From a UR standpoint, we hope in the shepherd who is sent to save the lost, and we gladly join him in his work, confident of final success. Urgency, yes! Desperation, no!

Jesus is not afraid to let people walk away–the righteous young rich man walked away sorrowful because he loved his wealth, and Jesus watched him go and loved him. He is patient, and His ways are the way of life.

When Thomas doubted, Jesus came and said, “Look! Touch!” He didn’t blast him for having no faith in the testimony of others, but came Himself and showed him.

This may be a bit easier for me since I never have believed in ECT: I was raised to believe in annihilation.
Nonetheless, it seems ever clearer to me that our entire mindset is set in the winners/losers mindset. As if there are a limited number of slots in the heavenly lottery and what we’re doing is competing against each other for those salvation slots.

wrong wrong wrong…

We who know God know of His infinite extravagance. And on the road of life we abide where we KNOW that up ahead, the damn BRIDGE is out! Is it even conceivable that we would sit snuggly inside our home by the road knowing that up ahead the BRIDGE is out?? Not a chance…
Of course God, in His gracious mercy will guide all HIs children home. Yes. But do we rest safely inside while in full knowledge that fellow travelers, who don’t KNOW the bridge ahead is out, rush to their suffering?
Oh my no!
What we do, as Universalist Christians, is stand out on that road at ALL hours of the day and night and shout and scream and wave flags of warning! There is PAIN and SUFFERING up ahead! Since we see YOU as our brothers, we can not, WILL not stand idly by and watch you head toward destruction.

Now should our intrepid Universalist find that he actually has pulled a traveller aside and prevented the doom of speeding ahead over a downed bridge, I would fully expect that Universalist to be full of rejoicing. Not because he has saved the person, but because he has saved him from further and unnecessary pain and suffering…
Being a Universalist means we care for our fellow travelers (or at least try to) as much as God Himself.

It’s not fear of eternal torment that motivates us: it’s the thought that a fellow traveler has spent ONE unneeded moment away from the awareness of the beauty of our Christ.

TotalVictory
Bobx3

SLJ,

Thankyou for this insight. The more I see it, the more I realise that the prodigal son story in Luke 15 might just be the most important “story” in the New Testament. I will ponder this some more.

TotalVictory,

I am really really really blown away by your insight, and (as someone recently wrote of you) passion, and overall-big-picture-understanding of things. I will think hard about what you wrote here, but I think already you’ve hit the nail on the head. The whole “limited lottery winners” concept has made things very clear. Thankyou…

I’m loving it too! The bridge is a great analogy!
Sonia

Also, “there is more rejoicing in heaven over the one who was lost than over the 99 who never needed saving.”

The being lost and being saved has to be in regard to sin: lost in sin, saved from sin.

And a big OT theme of praise and “confession” (in the technical use of the term), has to do with God’s mighty saving victories, bringing the confessors out from enslavement to something into the freedom of the inheritance of the children of God. And at the level of eschatology (beyond typological salvation such as being brought out of Egypt), that means being saved from sin.

We should celebrate the overthrow of the powers and principalities by Christ; but how much moreso should we celebrate if those powers and principalities are brothers of ours who have been lost (literally “destroyed”, in both the parable of the prodigal son and in the parable of the lost sheep) but now are found?–who were dead and now are alive?

Or, if we complain about this notion, then how are we not volunteering for the role of the older brother?!

If universalism is true, then why preach the gospel? Everyone will make it in the end…

Frank: Hey Mary. Where’s the grocery store?

Mary: Up the road, first right.

Frank: Gee that sounds boring. Don’t you know the world is round? If I head in any direction, sooner or later, I’ll find the shop. You are so restrictive, unimaginative and narrow.

Mary: Suit yourself, Frank, but if you want to be back before next century, I’d head up the road, and turn right.

:laughing: :laughing:

And whatever path you choose to take, in the end you still have to go through the Door! :sunglasses:

Sonia

Because your brother has been delivered from slavery, translated from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of light, because your brother has come home from being in slavery in a far country, because he’s delivered from hell on earth and has embraced heaven on earth, because your brother who was dead is now alive! If that’s reason to shout, I don’t know what is!