By Scott Cairns

*Among obscurer heresies, this dearest rests
within a special class of gross immoderation,
the heart of which reveals what proves these days to be
a refreshing degree of filial regard.

Specifically, the word is how we apprehend
one giddy, largely Syriac belief that all
and everyone will be redeemed – or, more nearly,
have been redeemed, always, have only to notice.

You may have marked by now how late Semitic habits
are seldom quite so neighbourly, but this ancient one
looks so downright cordial I shouldn’t be surprised
if it proved genesis for the numbing vision

Abba Isaac Luria glimpsed in his spinning
permutations of The Word: Namely, everything
we know as well as everything we don’t in all
creation came to be in that brief, abysmal

vacuum The Holy One first opened in Himself.
So it’s not so far a stretch from that Divine Excess
to advocate the sacred possibility
that in some final, graceful metanoia He

will mend that ancient wound completely, and for all.*

Scott Cairns is an American Greek orthodox poet originally from a Reformed background. The poem is written in a ‘difficult style’ and I’m still thinking it through (although I really like it) Here are some notes I’ve made on what I think it means to date – but feel free to correct me -

Apocatastasis is the Greek word for reconcillation - taken as read. And as a doctrine refers to unviersal reconcilliation.

Among obscurer heresies, this dearest rests
within a special class of gross immoderation,
the heart of which reveals what proves these days to be
a refreshing degree of filial regard.

He talks about universalism as a ‘dear heresy’ – so he’s actually in love with this heresy which is immoderate in its compassion

Specifically, the word is how we apprehend
one giddy, largely Syriac belief that all
and everyone will be redeemed – or, more nearly,
have been redeemed, always, have only to notice.

‘Syriac’ – universalism flourished anciently among Syrian Christians (???). I think he may also be referring to Jesus’ words because Aramaic is a dialect of Syriac and the Aramaic/Syriac Abba is used in a later stanza.

You may have marked by now how late Semitic habits
are seldom quite so neighbourly, but this ancient one
looks so downright cordial I shouldn’t be surprised
if it proved genesis for the numbing vision

I guess ‘late Semitic habits’ might refer to the hellish conflicts between the children of Abraham today which shows a complete lack of filial regard/brotherly love…

*Abba Isaac Luria glimpsed in his spinning
permutations of The Word: Namely, everything
we know as well as everything we don’t in all
creation came to be in that brief, abysmal

vacuum The Holy One first opened in Himself.
So it’s not so far a stretch from that Divine Excess
to advocate the sacred possibility
that in some final, graceful metanoia He

will mend that ancient wound completely, and for all.*

These final verses refer to the mysticism of Isaac Luria – who has influenced the contemporary Universalist Jurgen Moltmann – well Moltmann uses Luria’s idea as a good enough poetic image to speak about the unspeakable rather than as a new doctrine.

Luria speculated that in order for the universe to exist – God had to make a space/abyss/vacuum in which God was not so that the universe could exist in freedom. The drama of redemption is of God once again filling his creation so that it turns back to him (metanoia) in freedom so that God will be ‘All and in All’. Isaac Luria was a Jewish Cabbalist who became influential in Christian post-holocaust theology – because Luria’s mysticism ( gave hope to Jews under persecution. Cabbalist Rabbis mediated on permutations of the names and attributes of YHVH for inspiration – often organising the letters into circle formations mimicking the divine wheels in Ezekiel’s vision.

If you are confused about how to pronounce apocatastasis you can find out how at -

pronouncehow.com/english/apo … nunciation

I’d got it slightly wrong :laughing:

And here’s some blurb about the history of the word

Apocatastasis

APOCATASTASIS. The oldest known usage of the Greek word apokatastasis (whence the English apocatastasis) dates from the fourth century BCE: it is found in Aristotle (Magna Moralia 2.7.1204b), where it refers to the restoration of a being to its natural state. During the Hellenistic age it developed a cosmological meaning, variations of which can be detected (but with a very different concept of time) in Gnostic systems and even in Christian theology, whether orthodox or heterodox, especially in the theology of Origen.
In Acts 3:21, it denotes “the restoration of all things” (apocatastasis panton, in the Vulgate restitutio omnium) on the Day of the Lord.

Medical, Moral, and Juridical Meaning

Plato employed the verb kathistanai in the sense of to “reestablish” to a normal state following a temporary physical alteration (Philebus 42d). The prefix apo- in apokathistanai seems to reinforce the idea of an integral reestablishment to the original situation. Such is the return of the sick person to health (Hippocrates, 1258f.; Aretaeus, 9.22). **The verb has this meaning in the Gospels in the context of the hand made better by Christ (Mt. 12:13; Mk. 3:5, Lk. 6:10). **There are Hellenistic references to the apocatastasis, or “resetting,” of a joint. In a psychological sense, the same meaning is present (with nuances that are hard to specify) in the so-called Mithraic Liturgy.

Brain wave :bulb: - the medical meaning of ‘apocatastasis’ is referred to in the last line of the poem -

will mend that ancient wound completely, and for all.

I enjoyed the poem, thanks for sharing it. My son, Joshua is writing a research paper on UR for his undergrad class in English at a Christian university. I actually suggested he use this poem to start his paper, being it’s for his English class.

That’s great Sherman – and do let us know how Joshua gets on and wish him luck from me! :smiley:

Some final thoughts have occurred to me –

‘Abba Isaac Luria’ was actually ‘Rabbi Isaac Luria’. The poet gives him the title of an Orthodox Desert Father. Foremost of the Universalist Fathers was ‘Abba Isaac of Syria’ whose most loved words are -

What is a merciful heart? It is a heart on fire for the whole of creation, for humanity, for the birds, for the animals, for demons, and for all that exists. By the recollection of them the eyes of a merciful person pour forth tears in abundance. By the strong and vehement mercy that grips such a person’s heart, and by such great compassion, the heart is humbled and one cannot bear to hear or to see any injury or slight sorrow in any in creation. For this reason, such a person offers up tearful prayer continually even for irrational beasts, for the enemies of the truth, and for those who harm her or him, that they be protected and receive mercy. And in like manner such a person prays for the family of reptiles because of the great compassion that burns without measure in a heart that is in the likeness of God.

This is too much of a coincidence for me – the first and Christian Isaac’s vision of the healing of all creation is found again in the mystical flights of the second and Jewish Isaac (holding out hope for healing of the strife and bitterness between the two sister religions through their universalist traditions?). And Isaac of Syria also explains ‘Syriac’ (although I’m sure it also alludes to Jesus’ dialect of Aramaic).

Hmmmmm :slight_smile:

I’ve found a really good article about Scott Cairn’s – and here is the link (really enjoyed it!!!). religion-online.org/showarti … title=2625

And here’s another poem from the series ‘Adventures in NT Greek’ which I will not attempt to explain/ruin (for obvious reasons)

***Adventures in New Testament Greek: Mysterion
by Scott Cairns

What our habit has obtained for us appears
a somewhat meager view of mystery.
And Latinate equivalents have fared
no better tendering the palpable
proximity of dense noetic pressure.

More familiar, glib, and gnostic bullshit
aside, the loss the body suffers when
sacrament is pared into a tidy
picture postcard of absent circumstance
starves the matter to a moot result, no?

Mysterion is of a piece, enormous
enough to span the reach of what we see
and what we don’t. The problem at the heart
of metaphor is how neatly it breaks down
to this and that. Imagine one that held

entirely across the play of image
and its likenesses. Mysterion is
never elsewhere, ever looms, indivisible
and here, and compasses a journey one
assumes as it is tendered on a spoon.

Receiving it, you apprehend how near
the Holy bides. You cannot know how far.***

And yay - I’m happy to say that an Icon of St Isaac of Syria adorns the cover of his verse volume Philokalia