The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Free Will and Boasting

TGB thanks for your patience. I’m one of those blind guys who’s got my hands on the elephant and am just trying to figure out what it is I believe about LFW and boasting.

you said

The question was: if a Christian theology endorses God’s unconditional love for all (he does not make our worth and value depenent upon our performance) but requires particular works (salvation is condition especially under LFW - to make a choice which is generated by the individual and NOT by God) then why is that not a logically possible?

So far I’m thinking it is.

That is God could provide salvation by works and love man unconditionally, so long as the works are not immoral.

Tom, good responses!

Item 1: You got me right. Choices are vital, but putting emphasis on what differentiates us has a precarious down side. And seeing God’s actions as accounting for truly righteous responses can have a big & effective upside.

1. Touche! Yes, we shouldn’t captitulate to seeing choices as making us superior. But to me, my approach undercuts it more effectively.

2. I agree that both camps have pride. I just see less reasurring humility in either.

3. I agree that U.R. could maintain LFW, and still encourage humility. But, short of selling churchmen on UR, I think seeing God’s strong hand in our choices is the most effective way to encourage it. I am supportive and glad about your efforts to teach that God loves people unconditionally (and agree that it leads toward UR). Godspeed! I just find enormous resistance to this basic among most who think that our differences are a key to understanding life.

One upshot I’m seeing here is that part of my preference here lies in just having less motivation to defend LFW (though I’ve already granted that the notion of ‘unforced’ wills bolsters some imporatant values). This gets back to how the classic pleas for epistemic distance seem logically problematic to me. And as a psych grad of the B. F. Skinner tradition, most accounts of ‘freedom’ honestly still seems like an an unteilligible concept to me. It appears to me that the factors in people’s religious choices are clearly not equal, or uncorrelated with the influences in their lives. ‘The nature of ‘free’ choice’ remains a mystery to me

Aug: The question was: if a Christian theology endorses God’s unconditional love for all (he does not make our worth and value depenent upon our performance) but requires particular works (salvation is condition especially under LFW - to make a choice which is generated by the individual and NOT by God) then why is that not a logically possible?

Tom: I don’t see any logical problems. Like you said, God can command that we not eat from the fruit of the tree (or that we love our neighbors as ourselves, etc.) without it being the case that our worth and value to God are generated BY our obedience.

I suppose we’re getting into the nature of faith to godly behavior. And I’m not sure what to say. Is there a pitfall here somewhere we LFWers should be looking out for? ;o)

I’ll say this much though about divine commands. Assuming God loves us unconditionally, it follows that God’s commands are an expression OF that love and thus designed to guide and direct us into an experience of that love (or to define for us what loving another looks like or doesn’t look like). Doesn’t Jesus say all the law and prophets reduces to loving God and loving others? So there’s no conflict between God loving us (= valuing us) unconditionally and God telling us what loving and valuing others looks like by means of commands designed to direct and guide us, or even to protect society in general. Right?

But I don’t think the ‘condition’ of obeying God’s commands (which essentially mean loving God and loving others, right? which in turn simply means valuing ourselves and others as God values us and living in ways that affirm and maximize that value) ends up meaning salvation is BY WORKS in the illigitimate sense Paul talks about–so that we have a scheme in which God loves us unconditionally AND salvation is by works (or conditional). It’s important to make a distinction between salvation conditiond upon works (in the bad sense) and salvation conditioned upon a life that demonstrates that one has indeed rested by faith in the value and love that are his in Christ apart from other specific behavioral demands. In other words–not killing, not stealing, not coveting, etc., and not requirements we must fulfill in order to earn our way into the enjoyment of God’s unconditional love for us. I think not. Rather, not killing, stealing, and coveting is how people who have embraced their unconditional value and worth in Christ apart from those commands in fact end up living. Doing the right things and not doing the wrong things are the FRUITS of progressing into the truth of one’s unconditional acceptance in Christ and the captivating beauty of God who is worshipped.

It’s a bit like a fruit tree. In what sense is a tree an apple tree because it bears apples? Or, in what sense is ‘bearing apples’ a ‘condition’ for a tree to be an apple tree? Well, certainly NOT in the sense that the tree becomes an apple tree AFTER and BECAUSE it bears apples. Rather, an apple tree bears apples because it’s an apple tree. The fruit is a condition, perhaps, for us or others to know what kind of tree it is (by their fruit you’ll know them), but the fruit is not a condition upon which the tree constitutes its identity and nature as an apple tree. On the contrary, it’s identity and nature (its BEING an apple tree) is what constitutes the condition upon which it bears fruit.

My head hurts!
Tom

A couple of things;

I think you’re right about that. The argument that LFW induces boasting is based on the premise that
a) If faith is generated by the person apart of God then the person has something of himself to boast about.

That is basically the question you are addressing, namely is a good (godly righteouss) choice produced prior to faith being present or is it produced afterward?

If a righteouss godly choice is to be made without faith, then how is that?

If the good choice requires faith in order for that choice to be made, then where did the faith come from?

LFW/Arminians seem to me to derive that Faith is not a gift, such as the discussion I have with William (at the link provided earlier) when he states:

He’s willing to make salvation the subject and recepient of the word “gift” but it seems that this is trouble to apply gift to “faith” because that must be of the person’s own creation.

And there I believe is where the conflict lies.

Where detereminists are inclined to claim that ALL good things (including the right to believe, the faith to believe, and the belief itself) are all souced and generated in and by him (Christ Jesus).

Now the second note:
Talking with dinner with Bob Wilson last night as he treated to Luciels bar-b-que (how luck am I to get a great meal and a great mind to dissect), we discussed this topic a bit. I’m wondering how you might respond to the notion that calvinism contains unconditional love and leaves no room for boasting yet you find plenty of determinsts who are arrogant.

If that is true then it must also follow that one’s belief in God’s unconditional love for them does not relieve all possibilities for boasting.

If you say Calvinists do not believe in unconditional love because they don’t believe it’s universal then you should know that I’ll respond: but they don’t know who are elect and therefore are only left to treat every individual as if they’re unconditionally loved (since they may be elect) - leaving no room for boasting.

I’ll let you answer those.

Also excellent discussion Tom, and I’m very sympathetic to what your saying. I just have to ask the hard questions in order to help shape my thinking.

Thanks again,

Gene

Gene,

I’m glad for the continued conversation. Sorry I missed the BBQ!

Gene: The argument that LFW induces boasting is based on the premise that if faith is generated by the person apart of God then the person has something of himself to boast about.

Tom: As you probably know, LFW doesn’t have anything to do with religious faith per se. Many atheists are proponents of LFW. It’s just a theory on the nature of choice. But I see your point: if we freely determine our response to God’s offer, and if responding to this offer involves ‘faith’, then we must somehow be producing ‘faith’ on our own.

I see pretty much everything that exists as a ‘gift’, a ‘grace’ of God. All my capacities (of reasoning, of choice, of physical movement) are all gifts of God, and I see it this way for unbelievers as well. In other words, atheists are participating in the grace of God (on the fundamental level of being) when the walk, eat, think, and reason, even when they disbelieve. No created being exists without participating in a real way in the grace that sustains the rational and volitional capacities that define all human beings.

So…to step back into Eastern Christianity for a moment…viewing creation as a gift infused with God’s energies and grace means no human being is really ever absolutely divided or separated from God. We’re fallen and sinful, yes. We’re suffering the consequences of broken relationship, yes. But the capacities required of us to be restored to God—the capacity to believe God, to agree with the gospel, to welcome and trust his offer and invitation)—are not alien elements to human being per se which get downloaded to us ‘by faith’ (however determined) so that we THEN can respond to God. From an Eastern point of view, the question, Is ‘faith’ a gift of God which enables us to respond or a product of our own making? only arises because we’ve divided things up so absolutely and mistakenly. These capacities (to reason, to choose, to trust, to believe, etc.) are definitive of human being per se. Sinners don’t need to aquire them. They just need to exercise them obediently, which God designed them to do and which they CAN do, but only because God is present in the world, in love, gracing us with an existence that’s already hardwired for fellowship with him. To possess this hardwiring, these capacities, is to be a human being (if even a sinful one). Hence, sinners DO retain the capacity/ability to understand and respond to God. They CAN agree that their worth and value are a gift of God’s love for them, and they CAN choose to trust in God. That they do not when they have the opportunity to do so is what constitutes their greatest guilt.

Gene: I’m wondering how you might respond to the notion that calvinism contains unconditional love and leaves no room for boasting yet you find plenty of determinists who are arrogant.

Tom: I have to admit to only recently running into Calvinists who were also universalists. I think the few of you on this board who fit this description are the only such Calvinists I know. For the most part, all the Calvinists I’ve encountered have made it clear that God does NOT equally and unconditionally love all persons. I just finished a book by Don Carson not too long ago on this very subject. Several of the authors in that book (all Calvinists) made it clear: God does not equally and unconditionally love all. So it’s a bit of a surprise to run into Calvinists who disagree with the mainstream on that. I’m still wrapping my head around it.

Gene: If that is true then it must also follow that one’s belief in God’s unconditional love for them does not relieve all possibilities for boasting.

Tom: Right. But there are any number of reasons for why people would boast. What we want to do is judge a system of belief at its most consistent, right?

Gene: If you say Calvinists do not believe in unconditional love because they don’t believe it’s universal then you should know that I’ll respond: but they don’t know who are elect and therefore are only left to treat every individual as if they’re unconditionally loved (since they may be elect) - leaving no room for boasting.

Tom: I just don’t get this response by Calvinists who admit that God doesn’t love all equally and unconditionally. The point of love and valuing others is to TRULY love them. And to love is to believe a particular TRUTH about someone’s value and worth to God, NOT to act a certain way toward them because you don’t know what the truth is about them. One’s love for another is an assertion of what one believes to be the truth regarding that person’s value and worth to God. In short, you can’t pretend to love and really love. In my view, for Christian theism, we love someone because we believe they’re loved and valued by God. I can’t think of another way to ground Christian love for the lost and unbeliever. I literally wouldn’t know how to love an unbeliever while also admitting I don’t know if they’re loved by God because I don’t know how to ground my love for anyone outside of believing that it’s an expression and participation in God’s love for them.

Tom

Hi Aug – you said

I had some initial impressions on first seeing that question then, by the time I got back the discussion had exploded! Which is cool (I’ve read about half of it) even though it drifted in a different direction than I might have imagined it would.

So, even though this might not be exactly pertinent to the current discussion, it did trigger and help solidify some thoughts and for that I thank you Aug!

First off it seems this is in the subheading of the bigger question which gets asked often here (and on many Christian forums) of the nature of salvation by “works vs faith”. My own latest wonderings on this topic were formulated in
Jesus, the unwrapped gift: a Christmas Meditation

It’s an incredibly interesting dynamic and one which we as Christians should be pondering all the time I think. But for me I found your question made me really uncomfortable and in wondering why I guess my response begins more like a testimony of sorts…

I thought back to my initial realization – as if for the first time! – of who God really was and where I fit in the picture. (Others call this the “born again” experience, “being saved”, “seeing the light” and many other descriptions. For me it was circa 1994…) And I can tell you with certainty that the very LAST sentiment I experienced was pride and arrogance or anything at all like “boasting”!

For me it was far more like shame, and embarrassment. My first reaction was along the lines of “My God! Here He has been all this while seeking me, and I respond only NOW? after all these years? I must be the stupidest dolt ever!” So I was overwhelmed by a sense of what I had been missing – and feeling incredibly sorrowful for all the missed years of Grace and peace! And not a little bit guilty for being so slow at missing it so long! Here I was, bathing in the presence of so many saints in my life (bathing being a metaphor you realize!) and it took ALL this time to “get it”??

So for me anyway, the premise of your question rests, in essence, on a view of God and salvation and how He brings it about that sees the endpoint, the “goal” of all this, as very self-centered and all about “me”. eg “I” am saved. I’m suggesting that our salvation is only a byproduct (hope I don’t offend by using that word) of the far far bigger thing going on which is the Revelation of who God actually is as revealed in the Christ. So instead of an instinct to “boast” about “my” achieving this lofty “status” of being saved, (as if it’s some trophy I can place on my mantle) it is, rather, a dawning awareness (which it turns out God has been working incredibly hard to show us for so very long…) that I am merely coming to grasp that I’m part of His family and now join many others who call Him Father. Pride that I finally “got it”? Hell no! Shame that it took me so long!

Now inevitably when these things come up it seems that there is an emphasis on how “undeserving” we are. Which misses an incredibly important point I think and I tried to share this here way long ago in an Essay titled “On Getting What we Deserve”

While the richly varied biblical descriptions of salvation employ a vast array of images (sometimes a frustratingly large and seemingly contradictory array) certainly the relational images weigh particularly for me. But this discovery of relationship and identity to which the Gospel brings us has only one proper response and that is gratefulness and humility; a veritable universe apart from any arrogance that this discovery was of my doing.

For me, this may well be substantiated by that seemingly troublesome text in Romans 11:32. Here we see that (this may or may not be a paraphrase you agree with…) maybe in some ways what we might see as our own cleverness at being “wise” enough to chose God is simple something like God removing the blinders from our eyes at a time of HIS choosing. So why on earth would I have reason to boast at having had the blinders removed? That image works for me because it’s obvious that the glory, and boasting if there is to be any, goes to God!

What I’m saying then is that any temptation to boast must necessarily recruit the dynamics of “works” to make sense at all. You hear boasting, you are hearing works. God of course loves good works; but only as fruit of hearts that have already seen the true nature of their salvation.

Lastly, it seems in the nature of the “saved” to feel keenly for their “lost” brethren who yet remain outside the safety of the fold. The “sheep” who remain safe in the enclosure in that dark and stormy night do not “boast” that they are safe and warm, but rather immerse themselves in the very sort of selfless attitude in which that Shepherd Himself goes out to rescue that lost one. None dream of gloating that they have been “wise” enough to find themselves safe inside the “fold”. Rather, those safe align themselves with the true heart of the true Shepherd and do not rest until ALL are safe in the fold; which is to say, they experience the very heart of God.

TotalVictory
Bobx3

Well I certainly have my sympathies with much of what has been shared but I need to make another comment.

If unconditional love cancels out any form of boasting with a given theology and it is incompatible with salvation by works, then can’t it be said that unconditional love is incompatible with any given created creature has having produced godly measure outside of God sourcing that goodness?

In other words: I might make the same objection (such as):
Well of course unconditional love removes any form of boasting from TGB’s Universalism, but TGB has an inconsistency that he produces some form of righteousness which is incompatible with unconditional love. That is to say - Like Arminianism and Calvinism, (EDIT) his theology is prone to allow boasting due to inconsisticies in his theology - in this case it’s LFW.

I continue to remain in orbit around this notion:
If someone does something, then they deserve credit for it.
If a man produces faith or a godly decision outside of God generating that faith or thought, then the man deserves credit for it.

The humility you both (TGB and TV) express certainly is something I love to read, but I don’t necessarily find it to be a defense of the above statements. To say “Those who are truly saved will not boast of their salvation”, totally misses the mark of the question, of whether or not a person who creates faith deserves credit for that faith. If the person deserves credit then are they prone to taking credit. I think the answer is obviously yes. So saying “When someone TRULY comes to believe, that person will not boast”, simply does nothing to resolve the charge that LFW is prone to allowing boasting.

I see determinism or soft determinism (indirect determinism) as being the only way in which a person logically cannot take credit for the faith which is in them.

Aug

Bob, I like your take. But crediting our saving choices to “God removing the blinders in HIS time” sounds to me like Auggy’s more reformed explanation for such a decision. Would that be accurate?

Auggy: If unconditional love cancels out any form of boasting with a given theology and it is incompatible with salvation by works, then can’t it be said that unconditional love is incompatible with any given created creature having produced godly measure outside of God sourcing that goodness?

Tom: Yes, IF the sort of creaturely production you’re describing constitutes a “work” that God “pays” the wages of salvation to. But libertarian choice doesn’t equate (I don’t think) to the idea that we have a capacity to choose that is “outside of God’s sourcing it.” In my view, LFW is consistent with it being the case that nothing that exists exists and functions outside of God as source and sustainer.

But it seems to me, Aug, that for you God can only relate as ‘source’ to what God ‘determines’. And in that case, I’d disagree that unconditional love is incompatible with creaturely self-determination. You keep naming self-determining choice as ‘producing independent righteousness’ or ‘creating faith’ independently of God. But freely ‘agreeing’ with God that I can’t save myself can’t honestly be construed as having saved myself by an independent work of righteousness. That would be to say agreeing I can’t save myself independently of God in fact saves me independently of God. It doesn’t work. You can’t include the choice to agree and submit to the truth about one’s dependency upon God among those works of self-reliance and arrogance that are rightly rejected as work-righteousness.

Likewise, it doesn’t follow that choices we can take ‘responsibility for’ are also choices we can ‘boast about’. ‘Boasting’ requires more than merely ‘being responsible for’ a choice, so though justifiably boasting of a particular choice would require that the choice be libertarian, it would also require other things that libertarian choice doesn’t entail, so LFW itself can’t be blamed (I don’t think) for human boasting.

Tom

But certainly, the root of my complaint is that in order to “freely agree” a righteousness has to first take place within the host. In order for anyone to conclude and thus choose to call upon the name of the Lord, he must first have a change of heart and of mind from evil to good. And what is it that changed his mind? I would conclude that like Lydia, God has to oepn our mind and our hearts to understand the unconditional love. Now I agree God has every means at his disposal to do such transformations; I don’t believe it has to be software nor strings which are pulled in order for God to bring us to our senses.

I’m thus still inclined to think that for TGB to freely agree with God, God must cause something in TGB to change in order for TGB to agree. Thus I don’t find your free will to be free in a Libertarian sense. I also believe scripture supports these very ideas such as Paul who states, they cannot obey God’s commands - due to the restriction caused by their sinful natures.

We keep skating along this edge of original sin and I’ll continue to stay away for now. I’m still curious however and will wait for you to respond to Bob’s epestemic distance post, if you don’t mind. He stated:

I want to hear you discuss more of this because it revolves around this notion of LFW.

Aug

Auggy: the root of my complaint is that in order to “freely agree” a righteousness has to first take place within the host.

Tom: That’s what separates us, because I wouldn’t agree with this point.

Auggy: In order for anyone to conclude and thus choose to call upon the name of the Lord, he must first have a change of heart and of mind from evil to good. And what is it that changed his mind? I would conclude that like Lydia, God has to open our mind and our hearts to understand the unconditional love.

Tom: An Arminian would agree with you so far as this goes, BUT she’d add that the grace that opens one’s heart to understand and respond to the gospel can be refused. It’s not irresistible. But I would say that the capacities required to say yes to God at this fundamental level are given as a gift of natural capacity to human beings bearing the image of God and cannot be eradicated by sin. In a very real sense, Auggy, in our natural capacity to reason and choose (indeed, in our very existence) we already ARE the grace from God that makes it possible for us to say ‘yes’ to God.

Auggy: We keep skating along this edge of original sin and I’ll continue to stay away for now.

Tom: Eventually we all have to figure original sin into the equation and say how we think it impacts the exercise of God-given human capacities like reason and choice. I think our sin obviously impacts the exercise of these God-given capacities, but they are impaired and not abolished or annihilated.

So, about epistemic distance. Basically all ED means is that our reasoning and perceiving powers are finite. Not much to object to there. We’re not omniscient. But neither are we absolutely ignorant. We’re in between–and that’s just how it has to be for us to develop morally toward our perfection. Our natural capacities are capable of perceiving SOME things, even extremely important things of theological consequence (Rom 1). So we’re not absolutely void of relevant knowledge. But neither are we so knowledgeable that we perceive all mysteries. We fall “in the distance” between the two absolutes—being absolutely void of all knowledge and being absolutely knowledgeable of relevant truth.

Some libertarians (and I’ve run into this in a couple of the Fathers—forgive me for not knowing off hand which ones, Athanasius and Maximus the Confessor I think) argue that this ‘cognitive distance’ or wiggle room is necessary to the sort of character development and human perfection God intended us for. That is, we have to be sufficiently free to make responsible choices relevant to good and evil and THAT means understanding enough to say ‘yes’ and enough to say ‘no’. This is not an unkind or ungracious thing. It’s a great gift in fact, even though it entails the risk of our saying ‘no’. That risk is just the metaphysical price tag God had to pay to get beings who could develop morally into the kind of responsible partners that God wants us to be.

So epistemic distance just describes that amount light and truth needed in order for finite creatures like ourselves to freely develop morally. You can’t develop morally and responsibly without enough light to choose as you ‘ought’. But neither can you develop morally if you are absolutely overwhelmed by truth, for then the reason and will are left no ground upon which to responsibly reject God, for it cannot rationally (and so responsibly) say ‘no’ to God. I get the whole sin is a delusion thing, but it’s a responsibly chosen delusion. And I don’t know how to call it “responsible” if it’s not “minimally rational” GIVEN THE INFORMATION ONE HAS. But then I don’t know how a choice to reject God is minimally rational if the mind is absolutely overwhelmed at every turn with the obviousness of the truth, that is if God essentially doesn’t let people (or given them the cognitive space required to) say “no” to God. And to say “no” to God responsibly (i.e., rationally), it seems to me one’s got to be able to construct or sufficiently explain to one’s self WHY one is saying “no” to God.

Bob: Do you mean that it’s disastrous if “we know enough information that we are left no rational basis for refusing God”?

Tom: It’s not a disastrous state per se. In my view in heaven we shall be incapable of misrelation and sin because of the effects of the beatific vision—we shall “be like him” for…we shall “see” him as he is. The depth of perception that shall define heavenly existence will reduce our epistemic distance to zero. But we’re not there yet. And we weren’t created there originally either. So one has to wonder why. I think it’s because–metaphysically speaking–there is simply no way to get “created being” into a state of permanent loving partnership with God apart from endowing creatures with a measure of “say-do” appropriate to their freely participating in God’s purposes. God could not have STARTED with already perfect loving personal partners; he HAD to start out with beings who had to freely participate with God in arriving to that goal.

Bob: I take it that maintaining such a “rational recourse” means have a proper basis (enough ambiquity) to maintain a “delusion.” Where does the Bible celebrate that…

Tom: What does Eve do when tempted? How does she ‘reason’ her way (albeit falsely) into accepting the Serpent’s offer? That’s what I’m talking about. Nobody in a perfected/glorified state would be able to reason as she did because the epistemic distance just doesn’t obtain in a glorified state. But in our original state (and fallen state) we don’t perfectly perceive the truth about all things relevant to our moral development and perfection. We’re not CONSTRAINED to sin by this distance, for we are also given enough light and evidence to make choosing rightly POSSIBLE. And being in a place where choosing right and wrong are BOTH POSSIBLE is just what defines LFW.

Auggy: What is your interpretation of people who sing of feeling ‘constrained’ by grace, or about a hound of heaven who cornered me, such that I feel I could not make a choice to discount God?

Tom: The beauty of the gospel is a powerful thing. It’s even more powerful because our natural capacities are DESIGNED by God to respond to it. Believing and trusting God is our NATURAL state. Disbelief and sin are un-natural. But we get screwed up, I understand that. And I understand how psychologically powerful a revelation of God can be. I can’t stand inside of the experience of others and parse out just how free or constrained they ‘felt’. I can only say that as far as I understand how the divine-human relationship works, God never absolutely check-mates or determines human beings on decisions that matter to our ultimate destiny. As overwhelmed as one might feel, the rejection of God is nevertheless possible—as the original angelic fall suggests. Imagine what depth of perception and revelation Lucifer enjoyed, and yet he misrelated himself to it all. Of course, this may be just another reason for a determinist to conclude that God unconditionally determined that Lucifer reject the truth. I can’t say that.

Bob: Might it be ungracious to leave someone properly able to be convinced that he has a “rational basis” for rejecting what is actually true?

Tom: Not if the most loving purposes for them entail their freely determining themselves with respect to some relationship or what have you. THEN the gracious thing to do (if the purpose is truly loving and in their best interests) would be to grant them just the right amount of truth-content required to create the necessary ‘space’ for them to develop towards the perfection of those purposes.

Do all this mean that for me God’s choice to create entailed a certain risk (for creation especially, but also for himself)? I admit that that’s precisely what I think.

Now we’re chasing a hundred rabbits down a hundred rabbit holes!

Tom

I recently offered up two issues to my Arminian friend William Birch. Actually it’s more of a reponse only to say all sides have issues.

His recent blog post was “Is God the Author of Sin?”
When he asked me if I believed God authors sin, I responded with:

1. I believe God is no more tha author of sin then a rank sinner is the author of righteoussness.

and since this Arminian posits that God did harden Pharoah (like aaron37 used to endorse) because Pharoah was already a rank sinner, I posted:

Since God hardens rank sinners then he must be the author of some sins right?

Ok, I know I’m going to get blasted TGB :slight_smile: LOL! Go ahead fire away.

Ha! No blasting from me, Auggy! No system of belief is so airtight that it doesn’t have any weaknesses, so all of us have to bail water at some point. I think at those points each has to pick his poison so to speak and decide which ambiguities are most tolerable.

I prefer to locate the mystery of evil in all those variables that define the created side of the equation (angelic and human wills, natural laws, character solidification, limitation of perspective, etc., and probably more we can’t grasp) as opposed to locating it in will (and thus character) of God. So for me the mystery of evil is a mystery about creation (how it works, the rules of engagement by which God interacts with it in accomplishing his will, the freedom it’s endowed with, etc.) and not a mystery about the character or will of God. “God is love” is not something I know how to affirm confidently if it’s also the case that God is determining evil in the traditional Calvinistic sense (i.e., by unconditional and efficacious decree). And my fundamental reason for claiming this is Christological—God is Christlike. Jesus claims that when we’ve seen him we’ve seen the Father. That means Jesus is offering himself as the defining, authoritative interpretation of what God is like. Hence, I think we ought to say (because it’s true) that we understand God’s will and character far better than we understand the complexity of all the creational variables that contribute to determining outcomes. There far more mystery to the complexities of creation than there is to the character and will of God. I don’t mean we always know what God has willed. I only mean that given the Cross and the love of God, we can always know that the ends God wills and pursues are an expression of unconditional love. That’s why I now say: God is everywhere always seeking to maximize good and minimize evil given the rules he established to govern the creator-created distinction and the freedom required for creation’s ultimate perfection in Christ.

This is different than the common (to me) Calvinist argument that good and evil alike find their explanation and mystery in the unconditional will and decree of God, that locates the mystery of evil in God (as opposed to in creation where I’d locate it).

So when Scripture describes God as “hardening Pharaoh” I’m going to assume that whatever “hardening” means, it’s God’s “response to” Pharaoh’s self-determined opposition to God. In other words, hardening is a judgment, a response of God to some already present state. I know there’s a fuller discussion here, but that’s my feeling.

I actually do think we contribute to becoming righteous. I’m a synergist after all, right? That means God can’t get the righteous partners he desires without those partners freely choosing to cooperate. That cooperation defines or ‘shapes’ outcomes. I think the main reason for this is that outcomes synergistically achieved (outcomes achieved by free cooperation between persons) are more beautiful (aesthetically speaking), and God is out to achieve the greatest expression of created beauty possible. What else are ‘rewards’ but an affirmation on God’s part that we’re self-determining, i.e., responsible for our choices in ways that make sense of God ‘rewarding’ this and ‘chastising’ that? And the rewards are not all for the faithful execution of ministry callings and giftings. Some are for keeping the faith. “To him who overcomes I shall make a pillar…” etc, and “give him a secret name known only to me and him,” etc. These are just the ‘consequences’, i.e., the consequent enjoyment of participating in the life and presence of God, that are the result of the synergy between God and human beings. BUT (and this is important) divine-human synergy can’t erase the creator-created distinction and thus the asymmetry I mentioned earlier:

This is why/how I think we can have the synergy required for human character development and personal becoming without it being the case that humans have grounds for believing their freely choosing to cooperate with God gives them a worth and value superior to others who don’t so choose.

Tom

Here you confuse me. For on one hand you defend that God (in some soveriegn sesne) is accountable for both good (faith) and evil (sin). For if you find the mystery of good and evil in creation then the obvious question is “who is responsible for creation”? You stated earlier that any creator is responsible for the imperfections (sin) [my emphesis] of his creation, and yet say he’s not in any direct sense of responsibility; to me it seems you’re trying to dodge the difficulty of the dilemma: If a perfect God created a perfect order and LFW (which has sin or choices to reject God inherent) is required to achieve what ever means, then how does this manage to escape that God hates the acts of the sinners, if in fact these acts are the very means by which he so desires to emerge perfect creatures.
As leaning reformed, I have no problem with God determining that pharoa would disobey him, I think it’s what it sasy. I have NO quarrel with God if he has placed my children in his hands ONLY if his outcome is positive. That is to say, I have a weakness, what if I’m wrong!!! But I can only say, I can only trust God and that Character of Jesus that my daughter and son’s outcome will in fact be in his determing outcome which in the end results in their receiving mercy. To put it more bluntly, I don’t care if God is FORCING my children to love me, I’m just crazy that they do. I love the expereience of loving them. - I realize this undermines the discussion and so I don’t argue it. - I just have to say that’s where I’m coming from.

I disagree, I’ll comment and we can leave this point behind. I would argue that Paul’s illustration of the Pharaoh is no different than his point in Romans 11; God binds all (including to Pharaoh) to disobedience to bring them to mercy (obedience). But I’m happy to make that a different discussion to continue pursuing this mystery of God’s responsibility in his perfect or imperfect (as you see it) creation.

And it also means God can’t take the credit (glory or praise) for the choice the man freely made.

This part I’m lost on and will have to take time to digest and process.

Tom: This is different than the common (to me) Calvinist argument that good and evil alike find their explanation and mystery in the unconditional will and decree of God, that locates the mystery of evil in God (as opposed to in creation where I’d locate it).

Auggy: Here you confuse me. For on one hand you defend that God (in some soveriegn sesne) is accountable for both good (faith) and evil (sin). For if you find the mystery of good and evil in creation then the obvious question is “who is responsible for creation”?

Tom: Remember much earlier I said I thought God was responsible for sin and evil in the sense that parents are responsible for their children’s choices by virtue of choosing to have kids. After all, our kids wouldn’t make poor choices had we not made the choice to conceive and birth them, right? So yes, in the sense that any creator who creates freely and unnecessarily is responsible for what it creates, God is responsible for creation. But we don’t hold good parents accountable for the poor choices of their children just because the parents brought those kids into existence. Likewise, we don’t hold God accountable for sin and evil because he created. We hold accountable those ‘wills’ which are, as LFWers would say, the ‘final arbiters’ in a causal chain. For us to sin we have to exist. And for us to exist God has to create us. But that doesn’t make God responsible for our sinning unless God’s choice to create us is accompanied by an unconditional and efficacious decree that determines all that comes to pass in creation.

Auggy: You stated earlier that any creator is responsible for the imperfections (sin) [my emphesis] of his creation, and yet say he’s not in any direct sense of responsibility; to me it seems you’re trying to dodge the difficulty of the dilemma: If a perfect God created a perfect order and LFW (which has sin or choices to reject God inherent) is required to achieve what ever means, then how does this manage to escape that God hates the acts of the sinners, if in fact these acts are the very means by which he so desires to emerge perfect creatures.

Tom: “Sinful acts” aren’t the means by which God desires to perfect us. Rather, the ‘freedom’ by which we sin is identical to the freedom by which we must freely participate with God and that freedom is necessary (I think) to our achieving God’s purposes for us. God created a good order. So libertarian freedom is good because it’s the necessary means by which we mature into full partnership with God. But that good order (that freedom) entails the ‘risk’ of our choosing wrongly. But choosing wrongly isn’t “inherent” in freedom. The possibility of choosing wrongly is inherent in such freedom, yes, but like I said, I think that’s the price tag (the ‘risk’) God has to take to get the created partners he wants. But “sin” doesn’t play any (metaphysically) positive role in our perfection. Sin is a privation of order, a falling from nature, a missing of the mark.

Auggy: As leaning reformed, I have no problem with God determining that pharoa would disobey him, I think it’s what it sasy. I have NO quarrel with God if he has placed my children in his hands ONLY if his outcome is positive. That is to say, I have a weakness, what if I’m wrong!!! But I can only say, I can only trust God and that Character of Jesus that my daughter and son’s outcome will in fact be in his determing outcome which in the end results in their receiving mercy. To put it more bluntly, I don’t care if God is FORCING my children to love me, I’m just crazy that they do.

Tom: Why are you crazy that they do? I mean, what does it mean for you to say you get pleasure from the fact that “they” love you if you also believe all the attitudes and actions and choices that define what you call “their love” for you are simply God’s determining them to think, feel and choose as HE desires. In other words, what really distinguishes God’s love for you from your children’s love for you if God is determining your children’s love for you? (This gets back to Hartshorne’s criticism of determinism—to the extent that A determines B, B is just A re-expressed.) To distinguish between God’s love for you and your children’s love for you (that is, to avoid concluding that your children’s love for you is just God expressing his love for you through some created means that he determines) one would have to find a way to distinguish between the two—and who or what determines this or that expression is how I make that distinction. But when I say “my children” love me I don’t simply mean “God is loving me through the determined use of some human instrument.” I mean something more.

But Auggy, if you’re able to make determinism work on an existential level, and you find it philosophically consistent enough for you, I don’t have any arguments with that. I bless you and rejoice with you. Seriously.

Auggy: And it also means God can’t take the credit (glory or praise) for the choice the man freely made.

Tom: It means God can take credit for freely creating in the first place, and for infusing creation with grace sufficient for our cooperating with him, for offering himself in relation to us, for “first loving us.” Whatever good we might freely do contains enough reason to praise God for grounding the possibility and empower its accomplishment with the needed grace.

Tom: We CAN consider God’s worth and value and freedom independently of creation, but we can never do the reverse (consider or contemplate human worth and value and freedom independently of God).

Auggy: This part I’m lost on and will have to take time to digest and process.

Tom: This is the asymmetry between God and us. God grounds our existence. We don’t ground his. God is necessary to our existence and personal fulfilment. We are not necessary to his. We require God’s empowering grace even to exercise our freedom as he requires. God does not require us (or any creation) to exercise his will in ways that constitute his own fulfilment. This means (for me) that no right choice, no good thing, we freely do can be accounted for apart from this dependency upon God and his grace. It’s what forbids and precludes our boasting of free choice since what’s necessary for our freely performing ‘the good’ is God’s prior love for us and the free offer of himself to us. In other words, we owe our choosing rightly and freely to a love and grace and offer of choice that is more fundamental than the fact that we play a part by freely determining our response to it.

In the end, we may just be motivated by different intuitions about what is worthy or proper of God, what risks we’re willing to admit into God’s plans and still call him sovereign, etc. If we’re different at the intuitional level, it’s hard to move much farther beyond those.

Tom

Tom! I get that Epistemic Distance is needed to “develop morally” (and learn through experience). But I don’t get what you mean by “responsible.”

You say it’s essential to be provided “ground upon which to responsibly reject God,” which would be destroyed if “truth” was “obvious.” For we must maintain “responsibly chosen delusion.” But calling choices of delusion ‘rational’ and ‘responsible’ seems to me to turn words upside down. If Jesus models what we pursue, did he see “ground upon which to responsibly reject God”? Or was he, unlike us, simply unable to be ‘responsible’? You argue that being ‘responsible’ in this sense is to be valued, yet admit it won’t exist when we enter a “permanent loving relationship.”

Pivotally, you assert that such a definition of ‘responsibility’ is the only metaphysical way to engineer loving partners. I simply don’t know that. Using a supposed grasp of metaphysical necessity to argue that we are fully responsible and blameworthy for rationally justified delusion, sounds to me like an extreme way to justify a philosophic premise already determined. I asked where the Bible celebrates having a proper basis to maintain delusion. You cited a great example: Eve’s deception. But I see this less as celebrated, than negatively regarded as something to overcome.

You admit that “a revelation of God” may feel constraining, but assert that rejection still remains “possible.” Do you think everyone is provided these equally powerful “revelations from God”? Are they all as penetrating or equivalent to Paul’s Damascus Road revelation? Would Paul not get LFW if he concluded that God had had unusual mercy on the worst of sinners, and kicking against the pricks was futile? How “possible” would it be for even you to choose to “responsibly reject God”’?

You conclude that it’s most loving to ‘create space’ for others to “rationally reject what is true.” This again turns the reality I experience on its’ head. I never seek to preserve grounds for those crippled around me so that they can rationally reject what is true (e.g. that they are in fact loved). I actually seek to persuade men of the truth as much as I can. And it seems to me, that for many of us in U.R., the assumption that God will ultimately do no less, is what makes our confidence coherent. How do you assure U.R., if God forever preserves for rebels a “rational basis to reject the truth”? Doesn’t saying that what God values is taking a “risk” imply that you then can’t be sure of the outcome? I’d prefer a true Lover who would checkmate me.

Enjoying the interaction! Thanks for all the challenging thoughts Bob.

Bob: I get that Epistemic Distance is needed to “develop morally” (and learn through experience). But I don’t get what you mean by “responsible.”

Tom: Moral development, or development of the character with respect to right and wrong, entails the notion of responsibility, no? They go together. That is, we only rightly hold people accountable (blameworthy) for their choices if their choices are minimally rational. What might be the components of a choice for which we’d hold someone accountable? I would say ‘being sufficiently informed’ would count as a component. ‘Being sane’ would count as another. I think ‘choosing freely’ would count as another. So how is one sufficiently free to reject God if one is left no rational grounds upon which to misrelate one’s self to the truth? It just doesn’t appear cruel to me that God would leave us this room, for this same space defines our possibility for freely choosing rightly.

I’m not saying that by being rational the choice against God isn’t wrong or that it doesn’t darken the intellect or bind us to illusions. I’m just saying that the only way to start down this road is by means of rational choice.

Bob: You say it’s essential to be provided “ground upon which to responsibly reject God,” which would be destroyed if “truth” was “obvious.” For we must maintain “responsibly chosen delusion.” But calling choices of delusion ‘rational’ and ‘responsible’ seems to me to turn words upside down.

Tom: I’ll try to distil it better. What I’m trying to say is that the rejection of God, to be a choice for which we are held accountable, ought to be free and rational. Now, I realize that in point of fact—if all the truth be told—there are no rational reasons for rejecting God. In that sense unbelief is an illusion. But that’s just the point. The sort of ‘moral development’ mentioned above presumes a movement towards perfection and maturity. God didn’t create us in a state of unmitigated and absolute truth and light so overwhelming that no space was left the reason (and so will, for the responsible exercise of the will is a rational exercise of the will) to reject God. We’d essentially be robots from the get-go, in which case no ‘development’ of character would be possible. But we in fact were and are able to reject God without having to be ‘insane’ or ‘delusional’. We “find reasons” to reject God. They’re not very good reasons in fact, but they constitute that bit of space human beings need to develop and determine themselves.

Bob: If Jesus models what we pursue, did he see “ground upon which to responsibly reject God”? Or was he, unlike us, simply unable to be ‘responsible’?

Tom: I don’t think Jesus was peccable (or free in the libertarian sense with respect to evil) as we are, so there’s no precise parallel for me here.

Bob: Pivotally, you assert that such a definition of ‘responsibility’ is the only metaphysical way to engineer loving partners. I simply don’t know that.

Tom: I get excited and overstate my case. Sorry! I should say I don’t see any other way to engineer a loving partnership between God and finite human beings apart from LFW.

Bob: Using a supposed grasp of metaphysical necessity to argue that we are fully responsible and blameworthy for rationally justified delusion, sounds to me like an extreme way to justify a philosophic premise already determined. I asked where the Bible celebrates having a proper basis to maintain delusion.

Tom: Oh, I don’t think the Bible celebrates having a proper basis to maintain a delusion in so many words. In fact, I don’t think libertarian freedom is valuable in and of itself. I think its value lies in the possibilities it opens up for the establishment of divine-human partnership and moral development God wants. It has a certain utility. That’s all.

But when I hear talk of “delusion” and “illusion” I tend to think of people getting “tricked” or “victimized” by some slight of hand magician, or that one has to be insane or mentally deranged to choose to reject the gospel or to make some selfish choice. But I want to lay the blame for sinful choices at the feet of sinners, not some unfortunate state of mental incapacity. But to do that we need to suppose we are sufficiently informed to have chosen rightly (that’s one side) but also that their wrong choices didn’t spring from some unfortunate lapse of sanity. To sin one doesn’t need to become temporarily insane.

Bob: You cited a great example: Eve’s deception. But I see this less as celebrated, than negatively regarded as something to overcome.

Tom: I didn’t mean to celebrate it as such. Rather, I want to argue that such is the universal state we find ourselves in (and a necessary one for our development), and that it won’t be overcome until glorification lifts the curtains entirely and floods our being with undeniable light. But what does Eve do? She ‘reasons’ (is there a better word) that “the fruit is good for food, pleasing to the eye, and profitable to make one wise.” She didn’t simply turn her brain off or become temporarily insane and leap irrationally into evil. She considered the Serpent’s offer, weighed it against what God had said, and managed to “spin” things sufficiently to fabricate a reason for eating. That is what I’m talking about. We have to be able to do THIS in order to freely self-determine with respect to God’s commands.

Bob: You admit that “a revelation of God” may feel constraining, but assert that rejection still remains “possible.” Do you think everyone is provided these equally powerful “revelations from God”?

Tom: Certainly not. I don’t think everybody even gets a sufficiently informed basis in their lifetime upon which to determine themselves relative to the gospel, a state of affairs I’m sure God rectifies post-mortem. But even post-mortem I don’t think it’s just a “given” that folks make the right choice. (Boy this is getting off into post-mortem eschatology!)

Bob: You conclude that it’s most loving to ‘create space’ for others to “rationally reject what is true.”

Tom: It’s a loving and acceptable risk to create space for people to freely determine themselves with respect to good and evil if that sort of self-determination is the only way to get finite persons into loving partnership with God. So, the freedom which defines the possibility of our choosing to develop toward God is the same freedom that defines the possibility of our choosing to move away from God.

Bob: This again turns the reality I experience on its head. I never seek to preserve grounds for those crippled around me so that they can rationally reject what is true (e.g. that they are in fact loved). I actually seek to persuade men of the truth as much as I can.

Tom: Right. So do I. But that’s not something epistemic distance undermines. By all means, whatever truth we CAN secure for people who haven’t yet chosen the gospel, let’s do so. But what you and I can’t do is persuade the mind so absolutely of so great a swatch of truth that the mind has no recourse for rational motivation except to choose God, for that would constitute (for as yet developing characters) a ‘constraint’ that makes free development impossible.

If you don’t need human moral development to be free, none of this carries any weight with you. I understand that. But for those of us who do think LFW is necessary to such development, it pretty much follows.

Bob: And it seems to me, that for many of us in U.R., the assumption that God will ultimately do no less, is what makes our confidence coherent. How do you assure U.R., if God forever preserves for rebels a “rational basis to reject the truth”? Doesn’t saying that what God values is taking a “risk” imply that you then can’t be sure of the outcome? I’d prefer a true Lover who would checkmate me.

Tom: Great question. I think Tom T. and I tossed this back and forth above under his tent. Basically I don’t guarantee UR by appealing to any deterministic providence of God. Nor do I suppose that once all our delusions and lies are burnt away that persons will automatically choose God. Adam and Eve didn’t suffer from any delusion or lie that darkened their reasoning capacities. Nor can I suppose that God will flood the intellect with so overwhelming a revelation of God that no rational ground would remain for rejecting God. Since I think the choice for God must be libertarian I’m bound to suppose that SOME measure of epistemic distance would characterize even an optimal post-mortem context. Does that mean a person could conceivable renew their rejection of God? Yes. But given the postmortem context as I see it, it’s just a matter of time. We can’t permanently/irrevocably foreclose all possibility of Godward movement either. We can’t irrevocably solidify our wills against God. And God will love us and pursue us as long as it takes. Beyond that I don’t speculate. It’s enough for me to know that no one of us can irrevocably solidify into evil (not even Satan has done so in my view) and that God will never give up on us. So I’m an extremely hopeful and encouraged believer in eventual UR. But I don’t think God has predetermined a terminous ad quem at which point he has decided to release the last of all the hearts he’s hardened. (Had to throw that in there! :mrgreen: )

Grateful for the convo,
Tom

Well sure it would be accurate! I mean it’s a really delightful conundrum Auggy has placed out before us and the way he’s set it up one must (seemingly) decide between blaming God for everything (the good, like our choosing Him – as well as the bad, like our rebellion in the first place) or blaming us only for the bad stuff which would mean we are responsible so why not also be responsible for the good! (and thereby have reason to boast!)

And of course Auggy is right that it cuts to the heart of the issue of so called “free will”. So it really IS a delightful problem to have.

I’m sensing that we all want to do honor to the idea of the critical nature of God’s involvement in bringing about good while at the same time the apparent importance of not going too far down the path of determinism where we might just as well shrug and say my genes made me do it, therefore “so what?” …

So we seem to be trying to force together two incompatible ideas maybe??

But stepping back a second to talk about boasting. Maybe boasting is discouraged for reasons other than the “fact” we have responsibility and/or culpability for our choices?? Maybe it’s just one of those activities that God knows is not good for us (pulls us away from Him) so He forbids it. Maybe it has little to do with our deserving credit…

But if you think about whats going on when one boasts, isn’t it an underlying competiveness that drives what we know as boasting? I boast because I’m better than you, or him over there, or smarter, or more clever or insightful or something. Which of course may or may not be true! I mean some really are more clever and insightful than others right?? But boasting demands a sort of hierarchy of acheivment or perhaps value. If we all had a pretty blue marble, it’d make no sense to boast that I had a pretty blue marble.

Or, more soberly, I might be tempted to boast as a reflection that God loves me more, or holds me in higher esteem or something. Which gives me reason to place myself over and above you. For what use is boasting is we all have achieved the same level of wisdom or all made the better choice! If everyone wins the Superbowl, (not possible the way it’s currently set up of course) then why would one boast of winning the Superbowl? So boasting strongly implies levels of worth.

Except the story of God and salvation tells us we are ALL of inestimable worth! To imagine that God smiles on me more than He does on you (because after all I chose more wisely than you did!) is simply wrong. So maybe boasting does not have the firm basis we might imagine it does.

This notion of competiveness in gaining God’s smile or admiration or attention can have a backside too though can’t it? And a more negative one as well.
If we consider that God’s greatest attention is paid to the one who needs it most (ie the sickest one; the one furthest from the fold; the son who is far from home; the sheep who is lost out there in the seething elements) then one could “boast” of God’s attention the most if he ran away from God! Work harder at rejecting God knowing that God will “work harder” (after all, where sin abounds there Grace abounds all the more!) to come and find him!
But that borders on insanity and absurdity doesn’t it!!

Soooo maybe we’re told not to boast for reasons that have nothing to do with our inherent “responsibility” for sinning/not sinning… Chosing God/not chosing God…

Just thinking out loud here Bob and Auggy…

TotalVictory
Bobx3

TV, thanks for that last post - insightful.
Although on techincal grounds I’ve argued with TGB that our value we find in God due to his unconditional love is more like an antivirus program which protects the system from the boasting virus. I agree. TGB is right and I speculate that this is exactly why TGB can see Auggy’s view that in the grand scheme of things, God’s sov. owns everything (calvinism) and yet be good with it because he knows Auggy’s view also entails in the grand scheme of things, God’s love owns everything (arminian).

But I still hold that thought this antivirus protection (unconditional love) does remove the threat of the boasting virus, LFW still is a program which will infect your system. Simply put, LFW - I’m still convinced leaves room for one person to believe he’s done something righteouss that another has not and therfore looks down on them. Simply because UL (unconditonal love) protects us from that does not mean that LFW does not inherit that.

Aug

Auggy: Although on techincal grounds I’ve argued with TGB that our value we find in God due to his unconditional love is more like an antivirus program which protects the system from the boasting virus. I agree. TGB is right and I speculate that this is exactly why TGB can see Auggy’s view that in the grand scheme of things, God’s sov. owns everything (calvinism) and yet be good with it because he knows Auggy’s view also entails in the grand scheme of things, God’s love owns everything (arminian). But I still hold that thought this antivirus protection (unconditional love) does remove the threat of the boasting virus, LFW still is a program which will infect your system. Simply put, LFW - I’m still convinced leaves room for one person to believe he’s done something righteouss that another has not and therfore looks down on them. Simply because UL (unconditonal love) protects us from that does not mean that LFW does not inherit that.

Tom: You drive a hard bargain Auggy! :sunglasses:

Just a couple points. First, yes it’s technically true that one cannot simultaneously perceive the truth that one’s value is grounded in God’s unconditional love and also attempt to ground one’s value outside of that love by boasting about one’s choice to have received it freely. But oh, what a wonderful technicality! Oh that its truth would flood our minds.

Second, I don’t think I agree, Auggy, with your sense of how God sovereignly “owns” everything that occurs. You view this (I think) in deterministic terms. God “owns” all the sinful choices that occur in the world because God unconditionally decrees that such choices should be. I think God “owns” what happens in the world in the sense that God is responsible for bringing into existence a world where agents are free to determine themselves in love/evil. These are very different senses of ownership. I’m not “good” with Calvinism. That would make me a Calvinist. ;o) And I don’t at all know how to consistently maintain that God unconditionally determines all evil and that God equally and unconditionally loves all. That is, I’m unable to conclude that God loves all equally and unconditionally if it’s also true that God unconditionally decrees all. I understand the parts that make up your claim, yes: “God determines all” (Calvinism) and “God loves all” (Arminiansim). But I can’t give any meaning to their conjunction. I don’t know what it means to say God equally and unconditionally loves the world AND God’s decreed everything about the actual history of its evil.

Lastly, any truth (election no less than LFW), if isolated from other truths, can infect one’s system. It’s doesn’t count against LFW that IF one fails to perceive the truth that one is unconditionally loved and valued by God, LFW can THEN be misconstrued as grounds for boasting. Of course truths can be misconstrued when isolated in this way or when combined with other lies. For example, if one believes in LFW (a truth, let’s suppose) AND one believes that one’s worth is grounded in one’s performance (a lie), of course one is going to boast about one’s choices. Why wouldn’t this be the case?

But we can easily combine the supposed truth of a deterministic election with other false beliefs so that people find their election to be grounds for boasting, “Look, God picked me! I must be hot stuff.” And of course determinists would be right to object that only by ignoring other relevant truths could one misconstrue election this way. I might as well claim that determinism is a virus that will infect your system unless you also believe in other things that protect you against this virus (as Auggy has said about LFW). But that’s not exactly fair play.

To be a human is to be driven by the hunger to discover the worth and significance of one’s existence. Nothing wrong with that. God made it that way. It’s “the draw” of contingent, finite being longing for the true ground of being. But if you fail to perceive the truth that your value is guaranteed in God’s unconditional love, it doesn’t count against other facts of life (say, LFW) that they are sometimes viewed falsely by people desperate to establish their significance outside of God. That’s rather to be expected.

Tom