The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Fun Quiz: What Religion are You?

Well, I’ve been trying to get this to work on my browser since yesterday and finally got it to work! I’m “Liberal Quaker” :wink:

Kate,
Yes, I still attend the SDA church and, even did so today. I’m getting very tired of the act. I’ve been doing this for a year now. The reason why I just don’t leave is because my aunt is the one who brought me to the SDA church since a young age. I feel indebted to her and to many supporting people to stay. I have no problem leaving and giving no explanation. (Only a few have my contact information which is a relief.) However, God wants me to stay a bit longer. It is possible that God put me in this church so I can later be a blessing to it.
One of the interesting aspects of Adventism is that they believe that the “Remnant” at the end time are composed of people who believe in the seventh-day Sabbath and will face persecution worse than ever age in this earth’s history. Perhaps, when history in the future proves SDA’s dead wrong about their eschatology, I can pop up out of nowhere and just start preaching Truth. Although, I really doubt a loving Christian would do that.

Kate, to answer the question as to why many Christians believe reconciliation is heresy, I would answer by saying that it is because fear is the root of their doctrine. Notice I did not say that fear is the basis of their relationship with God (although that does happen.) Many people construct doctrine of God in light of the “apparent” fear stemming from a fear of questioning authority of their faith (which could include themselves) and/or literal Bible reading with no meditation/personal thinking about the Word. Without coming to know God personally, we can never truly love Him.

Speaking to Christians: We don’t need sour exegetes; we need pastors. We don’t need Bible-thumpers; we need prophets. We don’t need bossy church administrators, we need apostles. We don’t need laymen to scare the hell out of us, but Children of God to impart God’s love to us. This is what the world needs. This is what we are called to do. This is our mission.
The cross lays before us. Many try the broad way of fear, but few enter the narrow gates of Love. Oh, how we need to embrace God’s gifts of the Spirit and throw away our doctrinal standards of righteousness and the petty differences between denominations. The church for too long has kept sick patients sick and used faulty man-made medicine of doctrine and has used music as Aspirin to delay pain. The church really need’s the natural treatment of love. But we are the Church. We need to call upon the Spirit of God to infuse in us wisdom, power, and love to reach and heal every single person in this church and on this planet. Many are called, but few are chosen. Will you overcome fear in yourself and in your church through God’s grace or will you lie around in the shadows waiting for all hell to break loose before you sing bittersweet words of peace and redemption for all?

The above is what God has impressed upon me. I need to break loose from the chains of fear and be a prophet to the church when God’s wisdom permits. That may very well mean speaking up now rather than later.

Will you and I be ready when God’s Spirit is poured out on all of the earth? That is my hope. :slight_smile:

Sorry Cindy, I didn’t mean to deter the discussion with the last post. I just hoped it would be edifying for at least one reader.

Hi Nick, I somewhat felt in tune with your comments in italics. Was that a quote or were you just highlighting? Cheers Chris :smiley:

Hey ChrisB,
Just highlighting. I think it was a turning point in my thinking where I realized I needed to get my act together and so does the church. I thought italics would make the words more noticeable.

Hey Paidion,
I see you were keeping the score!
I’ve been away some time and just back and first thing I see is the quiz which I went through and came out as a BRIAN MCLAREN Christian. :astonished:
I’d be grateful to you and Cindy comment on what you make of that!!! Kate you too?! :smiley:

Best wishes

michael in Barcelona

Those are beautiful words, Nick.:slight_smile: You are quite a wonderful writer! Yes, I wonder if I should remain in a church body to help however I can, or if doing so does me more harm than good-- and thereby anyone I’d try to help more harm than good, too. I truthfully feel so wearied of doctrine, I don’t know how much longer I can continue my search. I officially feel sick of religion, longing only for a relationship with Christ-- which, it seems, is what God wanted in the first place.:slight_smile:

But, yes, we are the church-- so it doesn’t matter if I am Catholic or Baptist or Seventh Day Adventist-- because we are all the church, trying the best we can to etch out God’s will for us. And whether I attend church or not, it in no way affects that I am “the church,” nonetheless.

How funny. I’m a liberal Quaker! I never knew! I’ll have to keep my Methodist pastor in the dark. :laughing:

Thank you, Kate. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I just remembered something in a Bible study I once read concerning those who do not go to church (or more accurately those who don’t have a church) but are part of the Church. The people in a congregation are covered by the church in the eyes of God. In other words, if people in the church believe or do something wrong, those leading the church will be held responsible first and foremost since they are the “shepherds” of the flock.
For people roaming and looking for church, they are compared to widows and fatherless children because they are still in need of covering/authority. In a Hebrew court, those who did not have family were covered by Jesus, himself. This is according to Exodus 22:22-24 “You shall not mistreat any widow or fatherless child. If you do mistreat them, and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry, and my wrath will burn, and I will kill you with the sword, and your wives shall become widows and your children fatherless.” Those in congregations can’t accuse us of being unfaithful because we are not a part of them or else they incur the wrath of God. This is comforting for those of us who are searching or have given up and study the Bible on their own.
However, that doesn’t entirely free us. If our need for church is too great, then we ought to join or create one rather than joining a church or group that is not Christian. This is based off of the principle of marrying to prevent lust. 1 Corinthians 7:9 “But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.”
One other thing I’ll add is that just because we don’t have a church to offer to friends who convert doesn’t mean that all is at lost. If you have other experienced Bible readers who believe in universalism/reconciliationism then invite your converted friends over and do a Bible study or a study of a relevant book. Remember, Paul was a single man (he may be a widow) and said “To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am.” (previous verse) Paul was probably the greatest evangelist of all time and he was not “married” both in a physical and spiritual sense. His “children” or those who he converted became adopted under Christ. This is based off of the principle that if one man dies and does not produce children, his brother must reproduce children on his brother’s behalf. (referenced in Luke 20:27-40) The child becomes adopted under the dead brother’s name. Essentially, if we are not part of a church and yet we still convert people, we still do it to the honor of Jesus our brother. In conjunction, by being people of spiritual authority to others, we become the “Sons and Daughters of God” and a “brother or sister” to Jesus. (Galatians 3:26)

Kate,
I think there is little temporary relief. However, another comforting thought is we can be examples of Jesus’ love to others. By doing this with people who are our close friends and family who are without or are weak in faith, we are held responsible somewhat for their spiritual maturity. This is an exciting opportunity to serve God by doing what you (probably) are already doing. It makes evangelical living all the more real to us.

Very nice turn my (originally) somewhat silly topic has turned to. Thanks, Nick. :smiley:

Michael!!! Wonderful to see you back! I think Brian McLaren is (unless I’m mistaken) a popular writer and somewhat socially liberal guy, likely to be stashed in the same filing category with Rob Bell. All in all, you could certainly do worse. :wink:

I too am apparently an Orthodox Quaker. There was so much left unquestioned though.

Yes, I agree, Sherman (and all the others who’ve pointed this out). It’s not a particularly GOOD quiz. :laughing: But then quizzes seldom are. Hmm . . . maybe we ought to get together and author a quiz at one of those “make your own” sites. Only I’m afraid any quiz that I personally authored would be as bad as anything already out there. :blush: :wink:

Those are very wise words, Nick-- Thank you.:slight_smile: I really like the idea of Christ covering churchless seekers, much as he would widows or orphans. None are truly alone-- whether they have no church or are sitting in a church pew but nonetheless feeling incredible solitude.

I received an email this morning from my friend, an Anglican oblate from a convent near my house, reminding me that she’d be in town tomorrow for the convent’s Evensong service. (She is a universalist, and I find it comforting that she hasn’t been excommunicated yet. :wink: ) So perhaps her note is a sign not all is lost on the the Great Church Search.:slight_smile:

Hmmm… Lot’s of us Quakers here it appears! :laughing: Interesting that Scott (another Mac-ophile) and I both come out as “Liberal Quakers”….

I do eat a lot of Quaker oats. Maybe you ARE what you eat! :slight_smile:

That reminds me, Steve-- I’ve been reading tons of GMac lately, and he is just awesome. Just wanted to share that with another fan.:slight_smile: Have you ever read “George MacDonald: An Anthology of 365 Readings?” I am at the moment, and it’s wonderful! All the quotes were compiled by C.S. Lewis, and Lewis writes a fantastic prologue,too.

I think the reason they tag so many of us as Quakers is because it is one of the few denominations that affirms UR.

I was looking up information about Quaker Friends and their meetings. I’m fascinated by what they call ‘unprogrammed’ meetings. Really does sound like my cup of tea. So of course I come to this board, which is one of my favorites to lurk around, and type in ‘Quaker’ to see if any other people who lean close to UR have posted their thoughts about Quakers… anywho, this thread popped up first and I took the quiz and landed with orthodox Quaker too hehe.

Huh, I’d never gotten around to taking the quiz…

To the surprise of no one anywhere, I’m “Conservative Christian Protestant”. :laughing:

The Politic-O-Matic might be more surprising; I took a similar net quiz (quite detailed) back, oh, before 2005 as I recall, after a friend mentioned it, and to her (and my) great amusement it ranked me moderately left of center. :wink:

I pointed out that I, at least, shouldn’t have been surprised at this, since I line up with Lewis strongly, and his notion of ideal Christianity was moderately strongly ‘social left’ on the kinds of issues the poli-quiz was mostly asking about. Had other questions been asked it would have ranked me moderately strongly ‘social right’ instead.