The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Generational and Ancestral Curses

Does the Bible teach generational and ancestral curses? I went to Catholic Answers and found this:

Question:

What does the Catholic Church teach about ancestral curses? Should we pray about breaking these curses?

Answer:

There’s no Church teaching or early Church writings on this belief that evil spirits hold people bound through their ancestral lines and that prayer can break those ties.

But I found this on another Catholic site:

CATHOLIC PRAYER FOR RELEASE FROM ANCESTRAL CURSES

(Catholic Prayer for the Release from Ancestral Curses; revealed to Barnabas Nwoye – approved)

Eternal Father, You are the Only Immortal God, God Who is Love, merciful and kind. Look at Your only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and have mercy.
I offer You the pains of His scourging at the pillar, His Wounds and Blood for all Your people who are living under the weight of the curse due to the sins of their ancestors and their disobedience for breaking the covenant they made with You.
May You set us free through the scourging of Your Son, heal us through His Wounds and save us through His Precious Blood. Amen.
Precious Blood of Jesus Christ – release us from curses.
Holy Wounds of Jesus Christ – heal our wounds.
By Your scourging – seal us.
Amen.

(Any family that is suffering from the curse of sins committed by their forefathers, who makes a 144 day novena through this prayer, will be freed.)

This prayer is also in my Catholic book “Spiritual Warfare Prayers”

Heavenly Father, I come before You as Your child, in great need of Your help. I have physical health needs, emotional needs, spiritual needs and interpersonal needs. Many of my problems have been caused by my own failures, neglect, and sinfulness, for which I humbly beg Your forgiveness. I also as You to forgive the sins of my ancestors whose failures may have left their effects on me in the form of unwanted tendencies, negative behavior patterns and a predisposition towards sin. Heal me, Lord, of all these disorders. With Your help I sincerely forgive everyone, living or dead members of my family lineage, who have directly offended me or my loved ones in any way, or those whose sins have resulted in our present sufferings and disorders. In the name of Your Divine Son Jesus, by the power of the Holy Spirit, I ask You Father, to deliver me and my entire family lineage from the influence of evil.

Free all members of my family tree, including those in adoptive relationships, and those in extended family relationships, from every contaminating form of bondage. By Your loving concern for us, heavenly Father, and by the shed blood of Your precious Son, Jesus, I beg You to extend Your blessing to me and all my living and deceased relatives. Heal every negative effect transmitted through all past generations, and prevent such negative effects in all future generations.

I symbolically place the cross over the head of every person in my family lineage and I ask you to let the cleansing blood of Jesus purify every aspect of my family. Send protective angels to encamp around us and administer to us Your Divine healing power, even in areas of genetic disability.

1 Like

Amen.