The Evangelical Universalist Forum

George MacDonald on "Man's Difficulty Concerning Prayer"

Most of GMacD’s preceding sermon (from Unspoken Sermons vol. 2), on “The Word of Jesus on Prayer”, can be found here on the boards. (Or, go here for a list of links for directly accessing all his published material for free from an American publisher, or to buy some nice hardback copies.)

As with the preceding sermon, several of C. S. Lewis’ own remarks (in books and essays) concerning prayer, are clearly based on his ruminations of MacDonald’s writing on prayer.

Throughout the Unspoken Sermons (including what more-or-less amounts to volume 4, The Hope of the Gospel, MacD transitions from one chapter (sermon) to another with connecting references to the same scripture. This chapter is even more a continuation of the preceding chapter than usual, though, which is why his opening scriptural reference is only the second half of a verse.

The final sentence of that first entry, reminds me…

of when I was allowed to see the stars themselves rejoicing, in a ring of borealis, at the awakening of a new child’s soul in the womb of her mother… and hearing angels singing her a lullaby like a thousand distant thunderstorms…

My prayer will always and constantly be for her sake, under God.

Today’s entry:

Today’s entry:

Today’s entry: