The Evangelical Universalist Forum

George MacDonald on "The Cry From the Cross"

Most of GMacD’s preceding sermon (from Unspoken Sermons vol. 1), on “The Temptation In The Wilderness”, can be found here on the boards. (Or, go here for a list of links for directly accessing all his published material for free from an American publisher, or to buy some nice hardback copies.)

The original name for this sermon was “The Eloi”, but I thought a new title would be clearer as to topic.

MacD seems either never to have heard of the Psalm 22 explanation of the Cry, or else thought (for some unstated reason) that it didn’t hold water. (My own comments on this can be found here on the forum, among other places.) His analysis follows a more traditionally understood route, consequently, where the Son was tempted into feeling or perceiving He was being abandoned by God even though He was not (as MacD will strenuously agree during his sermon).

Today’s excerpt:

Sunday’s excerpt (posted a bit late):

As a side note, MacD has inadvertently forgotten that there was in fact one time when Jesus had been unable to see the Father beside Him: during the temptation in the wilderness, which was a thematic precursor to just this final temptation on the cross. Jesus’ earthly ministry begins and ends in the challenge to trust despite a lack of perception. (Or, rather, His earthly ministry doesn’t end here–along with all reality!–due to the ongoing loyalty of the Son for the Father.)

Today’s excerpt:

I’ve been gone on a more-extended-than-usual hiatus long enough, that I’m not going to try to “catch up” entries. So, here’s just the next one for today. :slight_smile:

Yesterday’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt (finale for this sermon):

Next sermon: “The Hands Of The Father”]