The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How do I reply to "Not enough celebrations of UR in Bible"?

I found these in A very long list of UR verses:

“At the name of Jesus EVERY knee should bow, of those in heaven, and those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that EVERY tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.” (Phil. 2:10:11)

The angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid! I have good news for you, a message that will fill everyone with joy." (Luke 2:10)

“EVERY CREATURE which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, forever and ever.” (Rev. 5:13)

“ALL nations whom God has made will come and worship before Him” (Psalm 86:9)

“ALL the ends of the world shall remember and turn to the Lord, and ALL the families of the nations shall worship before You. ALL those who go down to the dust (death) shall bow before You.” (Psalm 22:27, 29)

What are some other examples of celebrations of UR in the Bible?

Ephesians chapter 3 comes to mind.

Sonia

Thanks Sonia :sunglasses:

:laughing: Give them the very long list . . . and Colossians 1.

doesn’t David celebrate a fair amount about the nations coming to bless God?
the OT wouldn’t be chock full of celebrations, but it is chock full of the message. but the Hebrews at that time wouldn’t have been happy about the inclusion of Gentiles…they might tolerate it in the message, but they didn’t party alot about their inclusion. for understandable reasons. i can sympathise, as there are many i’ll not be immediately happy to see there…but i know God will change my attitude.

also, the new testament is mainly written as epistles, so while the authors (i think anyway) are pretty happy about God’s overwhelming grace, the reactions of their audiences is left for patchy history to illustrate. given that was it 4 out of 5 schools immediately following the apostles were Universalist, i’d say they were celebrating every day!

Oh the depth and the riches and wisdom and the knowledge of our God. HOw unsearchable are His judgements and how inscrutable are His ways? For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been His counselor? Or who has given a gift to Him that it might be repaid? For from Him, and through Him, and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever and ever amen.

IF thats not a celebration of God showing mercy on all I don’t know what is.

Glory to God in the highest and on earth goodwill among men

amen! well quoted

But obviously that can’t be a celebration of UR because that’s not taught anywhere in the Bible :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :wink:

Seriously though, I love the doxology of Romans :sunglasses:

For fun I googled the entire doxology & found this, which should be interesting to read when I get a quite minute… desiringgod.org/resource-lib … is-all-his

to turn it round…would a revelation that suddenly God has changed His nature from the OT God of justice followed by resurrection, reconciliation and rebuilding to a God that demands you believe something you’ve very little evidence to believe outside of a divine, eye-opening revelation or He’ll cast you into hell be followed by such a doxology?

one might be pretty chuffed that God will save one, but Paul said he’d give his SOUL for Israel’s salvation…would about losing most of the world could cheer up Paul so much (selfishly) when he’s already demonstrated that he’s fairly selfless when it comes to his own salvation?

i’m not at all convinced i worded this clearly…let me know if this is gibberish and i will try to say it more betterer! :laughing: