The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How much did Jesus 'know'?

Hi Johnny,

I agree with you, but I think the implications of this for some people might be greater than it initially appears… Rauser says:

The implications then, would be that there would likely be “false theological beliefs” expressed by the human writers of the bible who are also a product of their time and culture.

Edit: I just realized that in my thoughts above, I’m incorporating Peter Enns’s thoughts in Inspiration and Incarnation where he argues for an incarnational model for scripture—i.e. scripture is both divine and human as Christ was. (I’m reading I&I currently)

You’ll get no argument from me on that, Steve :smiley: .

I know a lot of people are loath to believe that the writers of the Bible could have ‘got it wrong’. But I really don’t see why this is a problem. All throughout the Bible God uses *flawed people * - sometimes deeply flawed people - to accomplish his plans. David, Moses, Jonah, Saul, Jacob, Peter and of course Paul, to name just a few. So why should it be a problem that God used flawed humans to write the books of the Bible also?

Cheers

Johnny

For a thorough review of I&I you can read this review and critique by D.A. Carson. The review is of 3 books - Enns is in the middle.
reformation21.org/shelf-life … review.php

The review is long and detailed, as befits a long and detailed work by Enns. If you are serious about the subject, it is worth the time to read this IMO.
Many of the questions raised by Steve and Johnny are addressed and, perhaps, answered - certainly they are clarified.