The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

Agreed!!!

Oh, you really donā€™t understand? Itā€™s taking care of business. Just like Trump later said, he didnā€™t think climate change, was a hoax. After getting criticized, by American business and tech company leaders. And Russia, China and Europe, all jumping on board.

And Saudi Arabia is our good buddy. We have American businesses there, American troops and bases, sell them American military aircraft, etc.

Perhaps this song, might help you understand: :slight_smile:

And before the Trump fans criticize me. This video will set things straight. :laughing:

Come to think of it! Now that Trump has set the precedent. Donā€™t you think Jerry Seinfeld, would make any outstanding presidential candidate? Iā€™m sure he can do as good of job, as Trump has done and will do. Jerry would certainly get my vote - regarding a future run. :wink:

From a standpoint of theological and philosophical ethics, I agree with you. But all past Republican and Democratic presidents have done it. From a pragmatic perspective, Trump is not initiating, any new US policy there.

I know. Folks like Dave, might challenge me - regarding that statement. And bring up folks like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. So let me quality it a bit.

Modern aircraft weaponry has to exist first
And Saudi Arabia must have put in an official request, to a US president

So you donā€™t like Trump. Big deal. As Randy points out, nothing new here, in certain ways. IN other ways, Trump is doing some great things. We always knew it was a mixed bag; but with Hillary it was not mixed. It was pure criminality, croneyism, and greed.

Why not make it a practice, each time you criticize the Donald, to balance that with something heā€™s done to strengthen America and american workers and citizens?

Or is constant criticism the only thing we are interested in?

Nothing signals concern for the threat of Islam like selling weapons to an Islamic theocracy where the majority of 9/11 hijackers came fromā€¦

Trump doesnā€™t care about Islam. This is just populist scapegoating. Political strategy.

IMO we are selling military stuff to SA as a counterweight to Iran as they hate each other and Obama for some reason that no one ever explained made 150 billion available to Iran which everyone can guess what they will use it for. SA snubbed Obama with good reason and they love Trump because they love our military equipment. Selling them military equipment is oceans apart from aiding terrorism.

Trump is in a new ball game. Thereā€™s a big difference between running businesses and running the US government. In the US government, things get tied up in red tape.

There are Republicans who are R.I.N.O.s (i.e Republicans in Name Only)
Court challenges by state groups - on the travel ban (not sure why the ACLU is not joining in, as a friend of the court)
You have lobby groups, like the AMA, insurance companies, AARP, etc.
Etc.

The country elected him. Sure, he does things that are NOT following presidential protocol.

Like tweeting on twitter, in the middle of the night. Then he gets mad, when the press has a field day.
Or saying he thinks climate change is a hoax. Then saying the opposite, after American tech firms and American business leaders - criticize him. And Russia and China jump on board, the climate change bandwagon - with Europe.

Personally, if I were him, I would depend on my advisers experiment and recommendations. Like:

Listen closely to my military (generals and admirals) and law enforcement (CIA, Homeland Security, FBI).
Let Mike Pence guide my ways
Etc.

He should do OK. As he transitions from running businesses to running the US government.

Iā€™m still thinking about Jerry Seinfeld. Based upon his TV personnel, is he a Democrat or a Republican? I would say Republican, as the TV characters, only cared about themselves. But they would get caught up in trivia or worrying over nothing.

I can just envision it now. Jerry Seinfeld for president and Steven Stephen Colbert for vice president.

So as long as thereā€™s Muslim theocrats, we should support (rival) Muslim theocrats? Why? How is Iran worse than SA? We shouldnā€™t be supporting any Muslim theocrats. If Trump actually thought Islam was a threat he wouldnā€™t be pals with the Saudis.

How is Iran worse then SA? Iran has been threatening Israel numerous times with annihilation, has called us Little Satan numerous times has had numerous marches with the theme ā€œDeath to Americaā€ sponsored by the State, sponsors terrorism and is trying to become nuclear and is most likely buying nuclear materials & technology from NK. Additionally Iran has called SA a false protector of Islamā€™s holy sites and intimated it s/b destroyed.
SA is a government not directly threatening anyone which is very different then Islamic terrorists.

Saudi Arabia is a fundamentalist Muslim country where 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers came from. If Islam is so dangerous that Muslims should be barred entry into the US, SA should be at the top of the list of prohibited countries.

Well Islam is so dangerous because it tells us it is numerous times in itā€™s holy books but again SA is a country and the USA is selling military equipment and this military equipment is not dangerous to us.
So i see SA the country as not the same as Islam even though SA has supported terrorist groups in the past, it is possible that because of this military deal we have some leverage to restrain this activity on their part going forward.

Steve, your rationalization of Trumpā€™s hypocrisy makes zero sense. 'Islam is dangerous, so weā€™ll ban Muslims from some countries but not others, even though people from the country not on the travel ban hold the same beliefs as those on the travel ban.

Obviously you hate Trump as is your right but that makes carrying on a discussion about anything he supports difficult. As has been said before the travel ban is about limiting immigration from countries with virtually no governments to provide any background info.
To you it makes zero sense, to me itā€™s basic common sense.

It seems to me that people have a tendency to generalize concerning people groups. Letā€™s avoid painting everyone in a people group with the same brush.

Examples:

The fighting Irish
The tightwad Scotch
The rule-oriented Germans
The sexy Italians
The Ritualistic Catholics
The Polygamous Mormons
The _______ blacks
The _______aboriginal Americans
The murdering Muslims

Not all Muslims are terrorists. The vast majority oppose terrorism, and oppose Islamic State, including imams (Islamic spiritual leaders).

A quote from CNN:

See the following website:
cnn.com/2017/06/05/europe/imams-london-burial/index.html

EXACTLY! In FACTā€¦ more Muslims are killed by Islamists than any other people. There was none of this kind of diatribe against Catholicism, calling for its end, when IRA terrorists were blowing up the Brits.

Bull. Whoā€™s calling for the ā€˜endā€™ of Islam? Do I think itā€™s a lousy religion? Yes I do; violence and moral degradation are part and parcel of it, as set forth in the very writings of Islam.
Do I think it should be ended? No. Not my job, above my pay grade.

A few Imams giving lip-service to assuage any incipient (but not likely) retaliation on/banning of the flood of immigrants yet to come, does not impress me.

All Muslims want Sharia to be the law of any land they happen to move to. The ones who are peace-loving do not have what it takes to turn in the violent ones among them, and help to stem this terrorist tide.

I get the same thing - regarding my friends and comrades:

Those Zesty Zombies
Those Pitiful P-Zombies
Those Nutty Nerds
Those Goofy Geeks
Those Horrible Holy Fools

Whatā€™s a person to do :question: :frowning: :cry:

And yes. I agree with you on the Muslims. Most are not terrorists. They are just afraid to speak out against them. Otherwise, they will be targeted. Self preservation, mind you. And I have met well educated, US Muslims. Who are doctors, engineers and IT professionals.

Come to think of it :exclamation: I have also met well educated Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds, Geeks and Holy Fools :exclamation: :laughing:

Hmmmā€¦ ever heard of ā€œviolence and moral degradationā€ within Christendom ESPECIALLY against children? Not sure where youā€™ve been hiding???

Astounding ignoranceā€¦ :unamused:

Just a comment on the first statement by Dave. Well, the Middle Ages Catholic Church, was very docile to non-Catholics. Right? No burning at the stake and such? And folks from one Christian group, never fought anotherā€¦or killed other Christiansā€¦during the Reformation. And South African Christianity (i.e. white Christians) - before its freedom - was very generous, to the black population. Etc.

But what do I know? I follow:

Roman Catholic priest and theologian Richard Rohr
TV evangelist Joel Osteen
The Eastern Orthodox theological tradition
The Holy Fool, historical Christian tradition

Then I try to put them all together. To figure out what Christianity is all about. :laughing:

Davo - astounding that you donā€™t know this about Sharia. The overwhelming number of Muslims even in this country say that Sharia should be the law of the land. Wake up.
Both of you - the difference is that the core of Christianity, which is as you may know is one Jesus Christ, did not advocate violence.
The core of Islam, a certain Mohammed, and his followers, taught violence, murder, rape and lying as CORE teachings.
Do you really not know this?

Sometimes I think you MUST be pulling my leg. Surely you cannot be so clueless.

Just some footnotes here. Muslims look upon Mohammad as the perfect example. Very much like Christians look to Christ and Buddhists to Buddha. But there are some differences. For a more detailed picture, see Is Islam a peace-loving religion?. It should be noted that Sufism, the esoteric and mystical branch of Islam, I am in harmony with.

As Christians, we obtain our view of how Christ lived and acted from the bible Alone. Itā€™s not true of the Koran. So we have to look at Sharia law . Wiki defines it this way:

Muslims get the way Mohammad lived and acted, from the Hadiths. Which is the basis for Sharia law. Wiki defines it this way:

Unfortunately, with Mohammad, we run into what I call the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde aspects. In the Mecca or Dr. Jekyll aspect, Mohammad is very kind, generous, etc. In the Medina or Mr. Hyde aspect, he was a ruthless and cunning military leader. And he did weasel out of packs and deals he made with Jews, Christians, pagans, etc.

So whom do Muslims look to - Dr. Jekyll aspect in Mecca? Or the Mr. Hyde aspect in Medina?

ISIS likes the Mr. Hyde aspect. Moderate Muslims like the Mecca aspect, which they try to officially promote. And Moderates are at a loss, on what to do with the Mr. Hyde aspect.

And, yes. Christianity didnā€™t have Christ - doing military crusades. But we did burn people at the stake (Medieval Catholicism)ā€¦drown witches (Puritanism)ā€¦Christian groups killed other Christians (Reformation)ā€¦say one group is superior (South African Dutch Christianity)ā€¦Etc.

Didnā€™t Christ say:

Thanks for that, Randy. I think you put your finger on some important distinctions.

As to the ā€˜religion of peaceā€™ idea - I think there are good reasons to question that.
maverickphilosopher.typepad.com/ ā€¦ itude.html

DaveB wrote:
All Muslims want Sharia to be the law of any land they happen to move to.

Astounding ignoranceā€¦ :unamused:

Dave is not ignorant as there have been surveys of Muslims and from 25% - 50% want Sharia which in fact means an overthrow of western society. It also means the forced conversion of non muslims or they face subjugation, oppressive taxes or beheading. Muhammed beheaded dozens and dozens of people and he is the example to Muslims.

Sadly this issue is going to get worse and it is going to be a bigger and bigger issue over time.

For real-world examples of Sharia in action, hereā€™s a helpful partial list:
frontpagemag.com/search/site/sharia

Iā€™ve read higher estimates than the ones Steve is referring to, but the point is still the same, I think. Read a few of the examples in the above link.