The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

It would seem to me, as a dispassionate observer from afar, that many (including not a few contributors to this thread) are all too ready to believe (and even adopt) the negativity that spews forth from MSM and leftist commentators. For all his faults, Donald Trump is acting presidentially, fulfilling declared promises, and actually accomplishing many and good things on behalf of Americans. Why not try to support him instead of wallowing in self-pity because your preferred choice, Mrs. Clinton, was not elected. You may be surprised how much better that would make you feel.

Also, since we are members of an Evangelical forum, it might be appropriate to consider what the Evangel has to say on this topic. Below is a sampling of relevant verses.

Ezekiel 22:30: “I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.”

I Timothy 2:1-2: “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”

I Peter 2:17: “Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.”

Romans 13:1: “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.”

Jeremiah 29:7: “Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”

2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from [heaven]and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Psalms 2:10-11: “Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling.”

Proverbs 11:14: " For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers."

Proverbs 21:1: “The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.”

Job 12:23-25: “He makes nations great, and destroys them; he enlarges nations, and disperses them.”

1 Like

"Now for a moment, suspend your disbelief and imagine an alternate universe wherein the press believes in the values of our Founding Fathers.

In this alternate universe, they report that the ruling class of politicians were on a tropical island off the mainland, indulging themselves in excess, while the government was partially shutdown, workers were missing paychecks, and citizens were wanting for services.

They report that meanwhile, the president of the United States stayed back at his office, and, seeing that a commitment to celebrate a group of young American champions was about to be broken because there was no staff or funding to serve them, opened his own wallet and made sure that the deserving group was properly welcomed and recognized at the White House.

Of course, no one read or heard that version because we live in a universe where the press has lost all sense of balance, perspective, objectivity, and honesty" - Charlie Kirk

1 Like

No, I would never evaluate the president’s character based on any press. They all display bias. I find he has wonderfully made himself and his words directly accessible to us all, and my impressions are based on that.

In our politically passionate era, you asserted that you find him unusually honest, and in kind I attached the assertion that many of his negotiating partners are less confident that he’s been found trustworthy. If you think they actually do find him trustworthy, that’s fine. My own sense is that judgments about his claims to superior integrity and ability to effectively negotiate will hang on how the remainder of his term plays out.

Yep. Should be an interesting time ahead.

1 Like

See Donald Trump giving a 16-second message at Wagnar College in 2004:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39mZ4tqemf8;

Thanks, Paidion - That’s a great message, one that Trump obviously believed in 2004 and is practising today.

I was reminded of a sermon I once preached about 12 years ago. I had titled it “DON’T GIVE UP” based on the story in both Mark and Luke about the man who brought his only demon-possessed son to Jesus. Jesus healed the boy. There are other similar stories in the gospels about men and women who DIDN’T GIVE UP hoping for healing by Jesus. They were all healed.

Well… I hope the refugees who are trying to get into United States from Mexico, take his advice.

Self defense is good.

://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-homeowner-shoots-kills-3-men-and-injures-2-during-home-invasion-officials-say

Today’s Patheos Catholic newsletter…warns us to be aware, of what books we assign - to read:

Anyway, back to Dave’s article!

Well, I have a friend…Bert and his wife Heather…who have a well-stocked arsenal…and are prepared for anything!

Damn straight. :slight_smile:

An “interesting” article, from a Democratic blogger:

And here’s an interesting article, from today’s Patheos Evangelical newsletter:

1 Like

A polished gem of wisdom from MavPhil:

"WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

I say go on the offensive.

Minervic flights and the consolations of philosophy cannot be enjoyed when the barbarians are at the gates of one’s stoa.

Conservatives, especially those of them given to contemplative pursuits, need to make their peace with activism in order to secure and defend the spaces of their quietism. And this with blood and iron if need be.

The owl of Minerva is a tough old bird, but no phoenix capable of rising from its ashes.

When the world and its hopelessness are too much with us, one can and must beat a retreat into the private life. Body culture, mind culture, hobbies, family life, the various escapes (which are not necessarily escapes from reality) into chess, fiction, religion, meditation, history, pure mathematics and science, one’s own biography and the pleasant particulars of one’s past, music, gardening, homemaking . . . .

I pity the poor activist for whom the real is exhausted by the political. But I detest these totalitarians as well since they seek to elide the boundary between the private and the public.

So we need to battle the bastards in the very sphere they think exhausts the real. But it is and must be a part-time fight, lest we become like them. Most of life for us conservatives must be given over to the enjoyment and appreciation, in private, of the apolitical: nature, for example, and nature’s God."

Reuters reported this evening that President Trump has just switched from a vegan diet to a paleo diet. Speculation rages over whether the switch was made as an act of consistency with his new more manly nickname, “Cave Man.” Reuters notes that Trump is now considering whether his new nick requires him to abandon his former nick, “The Donald.” On this site, Paidion and Berserk are now involved in a lawsuit for the right to claim that nick for themselves.

yes look at the NRA ‘Armed Citezen’

:wink:

Jesus seems to disagree.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person.” (Matthew 5:38,39 NKJV)

‘Seems’ is the correct term. I’m not convinced by this one verse; or should I say, not convinced that it was meant in the way Tolstoi developed it. I’m still thinking about it.

Simplistic cherry-picking seems to create contention between Jesus and James…

But I tell you not to resist an evil person” — “Resist the devil and he will flee from you:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“Paidion, post:2060, topic:6062”]

Self defense is good.

Jesus seems to disagree.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person.” (Matthew 5:38,39 NKJV)
[/quote]\

Jesus advocates the right of self-defense, saying that the 2 avallable swords are 'enough" for that purpose.

Didn’t Paul give advice to soldiers - and the advice was to serve well, not to quit?
Did Jesus ever tell soldiers to quit their service?
Is there any indication at all that the Paul’s standard advice was - do not resist?
We have the one verse about turning the other cheek - it’s not enough to support the rest of the NT, so I assume we have to think of it in another way.
Make what you will of the following, it is a historical record:
" Lest any believe that the Roman army was not filled with Christian men, the following is an account written by the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius of a time in 174 when he was stranded in Germany without his legions and surrounded by German fighters:

Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Roman Emperor 162-180) |350x256

Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Roman Emperor 162-180)

“….But being disregarded by them (his pagan gods to whom he had prayed), I summoned those who among us go by the name of Christians. And having made inquiry (in his army), I discovered a great number and vast host of (Christians) and I raged against them, which was by no means becoming; for afterwards I learned their power. Wherefore they began the battle, not by preparing weapons, nor arms, nor bugles; for such preparation is hateful to them, on account of the God they bear about in their conscience. Therefore it is probable that those whom we suppose to be atheists have God as their ruling power entrenched in their conscience. For having cast themselves on the ground, they prayed not only for me, but also for the whole army as it stood, that they might be delivered from the present thirst and famine. For during five days we had got no water, because there was none; for we were in the heart of Germany, and in the enemy’s territory. And simultaneously with their casting themselves on the ground and praying to God—a God of whom I am ignorant—water poured from heaven upon us refreshingly cool, but upon the enemies of Rome a withering hail. And immediately we recognized the presence of God following on the prayer—a God unconquerable and indestructible.” from Marcus Aurelius’ Epistle to the Roman Senate
https://earlychurchhistory.org/military/the-miraculous-rain-event/

1 Like

Since the debate is good, for a free society…I thought I would share, this informative video! :wink: