The Evangelical Universalist Forum

I need help in choosing 1 of 3

As posted elsewhere, I’m not persuaded that following Tillich’s systematic theology is worth any more of my time, so I’m stopping the thread.

I want to pursue one of three books :

1. goodreads.com/work/quotes/81 … tian-truth
    I’ve read this a couple of times but would really like to nail it down. It is difficult though; I’m familiar with the terminology and could probably explain it well enough.
  2. ignatius.com/Products/LOAL-P … dible.aspx
    This would be my choice. The first two sections are philosophical, but very approachable, and the rest of the book follows the theme of the titlle.
  3. questia.com/read/93765875/ou … dge-of-god Go to that site and you can preview the contents.

Do any of you have opinions one way or the other?
Whichever book, I will post daily if possible what the author is arguing for.

Our Knowledge of God, by John Baillie, sounds intriguing. I have arrived at similar views as Bailey from my exploration and meditation on Paul’s letter to the Romans. I think that we all have an inner-knowing. Baillie gets my vote.

I cast my vote for Balthasar.

Balthasar’s systematic theology runs well over three thousand pages (when collected together) – not sure how much one book of it will be able to synopsize. Also, unsure how to spell synopsize. :mrgreen:

You’ve already read DBH a few times.

On those bases, I recommend option 3.

The one book of Balthasar’s I’m thinking about does not try to encapsulate (maybe that’s a word?) all his thought, you’re right in that it would be impossible (I soooo lust after his The Glory of the Lord 7-volume set); but otoh, this would mean that we could never ‘do’ a Balthasar book - we’d have to do the whole enchilada. Maybe a little is better than none?

Okay, it’s number 2 or 3. They are both well worth a little study. I’ll start with #3, then will do Balthasar after.

Thanks for the input guys and gals.