The Evangelical Universalist Forum

I'm Just A Nobody

My new favorite song we sang at church today. Here’s the song with lyrics below:

"Nobody"
(feat. Matthew West)

Why You ever chose me
Has always been a mystery
All my life I’ve been told I belong at the end of the line
With all the other Not-Quites
With all the Never-Get-It-Rights
But it turns out we’re the ones You’ve been looking for all this time

'Cause I’m just a nobody
Trying to tell everybody
All about Somebody who saved my soul
Ever since You rescued me
You gave my heart a song to sing
I’m living for the world to see
Nobody but Jesus
Nobody but Jesus

Moses had stage fright
And David brought a rock to a sword fight
You picked 12 outsiders nobody would’ve chosen
And You changed the world
Well, the moral of the story is
Everybody’s got a purpose
So when I hear that devil start talking to me, saying
“Who do you think you are”
I say…

I’m just a nobody
Trying to tell everybody
Nobody but Jesus
Nobody but Jesus

So let me go down down down in history
As another blood-bought faithful member of the family
And if they all forget my name, well, that’s fine with me
Nobody but Jesus

So let me go down down down in history (go down in a history)
As another blood-bought faithful member of the family (it’s all I ever wanna be)
And if they all forget my name, well, that’s fine with me
Nobody but Jesus

'Cause I’m just a nobody
Trying to tell everybody
Nobody but Jesus
Nobody but Jesus
Nobody but Jesus

1 Like

Here’s my church. They are the ones who started TCU (Texas Christian University). The goal is to bring all denominations together in one church. All are invited. They don’t have one view on doctrine. Each individual is encouraged to come to their own conclusions on controversial doctrines. They take communion every Sunday but all are invited to the table. They feed the homeless every Saturday and have a spotlight once a month to read your poetry and songs on stage in front of everyone. This month is suicide awareness month. We are focusing on helping those with mental illnesses and addictions.

From Wkipedia on the church:

For most Disciples, communion is understood as the symbolic presence of Jesus within the gathered community. Most Disciple congregations practice believer’s baptism in the form of immersion, believing it to be the form used in the New Testament. The experiences of yielding to Christ in being buried with him in the waters of baptism and rising to a new life, have profound meaning for the church.[45]

“In essentials, Unity; In non-essentials, Liberty; and in all things, Charity.”
Marco Antonio de Dominis, De Repubblica Ecclesiastica , adopted as the 19th Century slogan of the Stone-Campbell Movement

For modern disciples the one essential is the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and obedience to him in baptism.[46] There is no requirement to give assent to any other statement of belief or creed. Nor is there any “official” interpretation of the Bible.[47] Hierarchical doctrine was traditionally rejected by Disciples as human-made and divisive, and subsequently, freedom of belief and scriptural interpretation allows many Disciples to question or even deny beliefs common in doctrinal churches such as the Incarnation, the Trinity, and the Atonement. Beyond the essential commitment to follow Jesus, there is a tremendous freedom of belief and interpretation. As the basic teachings of Jesus are studied and applied to life, there is the freedom to interpret Jesus’ teaching in different ways.