The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Is there anyone we shouldn't pray for? Exactly!

Can anyone think of any passage that says we shouldn’t pray for someone?

Conversely, I can think of passages that say we should pray for our enemies and those persecuting us! Furthermore

This is particularly important because

i.e. God wants to save the same all people as we are to pray for!

It’s also very likely that the same all people appears again in

And I don’t seen the end of 1 Tim 4:10 as a problem, I think it simply needs to be read as “especially of those who believe [now]” i.e. the first-fruits, the Christians who come to believe in this age, as opposed to the next, are especially blessed, as relationship with the Savior is a blessing, and the sooner you’re in it, the better!

I think this is a very strong argument (I assume any Arminian would agree) showing there isn’t any limit to the scope of who God wishes to be saved.

However, I would go on to say, given that I think God’s grace is irresistible (although each “at the proper time” as verse 6 says) for all whom God desires, we know what the eventual result will be :sunglasses:

Yes, especially believers. We somehow read that as “exclusively”, which is of course not what it says.

Some might argue for this:

1Jo 5:16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life–to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that.

Sonia

I was thinking of that, too, Sonia.

I have a lengthy discussion around here on the forum somewhere regarding that verse and its unusual translation and interpretation difficulties.

Hmm… :confused: “that” not “them”??? What do you think?

I’d be surprised to find that God doesn’t want us to pray for certain people. It’s not just because of v4 or v6 (although I thought people at least saw Christ’s ransom as sufficient for all, even if they deny it’s effective for all?), it’s because of passages like:

(i.e. one of the major anxieties is the fate of non-Christians who we love.) Shouldn’t the fact that pray is such big deal, make us assume the scope isn’t limited?

Maybe it’s something we’ve neglected. Also just because I don’t think we have any reason to think the scope is limited, doesn’t mean every night I pray for my dead great grandmother (if she wasn’t a Christian, then perhaps I should be :confused: ).

Some say v2 is a qualifier to v1, however, I read it as an reinforcer, in case they were tempted to exclude them, i.e. even pray for those who rule over you, instead of cursing them.