The Evangelical Universalist Forum

J.E.S.U.S.A. (2020) - New Kevin Miller film on Christianity and American Nationalistic Violence

J.E.S.U.S.A. is an in-depth exploration of the relationship between Christianity and American nationalism and the violence that can often emerge from it. Far from a new phenomenon, this documentary traces the co-opting of Christianity by the state all the way back to when the Christian faith became the official religion of the Roman Empire. Through interviews with a diverse group of scholars, pastors, historians, and activists, this film shows how specific readings of the Bible have led many Christians to confuse their devotion to Jesus with their dedication to the state. The film helps viewers rediscover and restore long-held Christian beliefs regarding nonviolence, inspiring Christians to become purveyors of peace rather than enablers of conflict and violence. Featuring: David Bentley Hart, Diana Butler Bass, Brian Zahnd, Greg Boyd, Father John Dear, Christopher Hedges, Suzanne Ross, Kit Evans-Ford, Dwight Ford, Gareth Higgins, and many more.

Trailer here https://vimeo.com/ondemand/jesusa

I haven’t seen this yet but the topic fascinates me. Kevin Miller of course was the same guy who produced the documentary ‘Hellbound’.

2 Likes

That’s sounds fascinating Jonny - and I hope it has the same entusiastic reception at EU as did Hellbound :slight_smile:

1 Like