The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Jesus Said You Must Be Alive To Receive Eternal Life!

The position of Jesus and the teachings of the apostles. There are millions of Baptists who speak in tongues, redhot. :wink:

Which we’ve been trying to show you all along, but you just won’t see it :mrgreen:

Right back at ya, redhot. :wink:

Matthew 22:31 But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God:‘I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, AND THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at His teaching.

Acts 24:14-16 But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets; having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. In view of this, I also do my best to maintain always a blameless conscience both before God and before men.

There is none dead to God, for He is the God of the Living. All shall be raised, both the righteous and the wicked. Now read Jesus’s words in John 11 again.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life;** he who believes in Me will live even if he dies**, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Being dead in your sins does not change anything. One can believe in Him and receive eternal life, even if he dies.

No, they exercised their free will to the point of searing their conscience and being unable to be convicted of their actions. Big difference. Searing your conscience is very serious, deadly condition of your heart.

I was looking for where this quote originated from but haven’t been able to find it. Could you note where it is.
Thanks

The OP, Sherman.

Good stuff, SotW.

Even when you’re dead, if you believe, you will live.

I was unaware of the controversy. Some say the “that” refers to salvation, based on gender. Others say it refers to faith, based on context. Anyway, John makes it clear that no one comes unless God draws him, that those whom God has given to Christ will come, and that all things have been given to Christ.

I know people who are quite proud of their faith.

Brilliant. :slight_smile:

i’ve really had it up to here with your condescending attitude, especially since you lack basic skills in debating, reasoning, mathematics, exegesis, etc etc.

Jesus spoke to an age that ended with His death and resurrection. that is obvious! that’s one age down. the next age is the one we’re in. the age after is the age AFTER that.

what was that the Bible says about having ears to hear and eyes to see? you are so blind, and you’re so arrogant about it.

:confused: Obvious to you. Show evidence of Jesus speaking to an age that ended with his death and resurrection, please.

it’s obvious to everyone. the age of the old covenant ended with Jesus’ death and resurrection. that was the start of the New Covenant and thus the age of grace.

The ages don’t change because the Old covenant was replaced with the New covenant, Corp. This “present evil age” started in Gen 3 and is consummated when Jesus comes back. There are 2 ages, Corp. This “present evil age” and the age to come (eternity).

Revival, didn’t Paul clearly teach a future plurality of ages in Ephesians 2:7? Future = yet to come. Plurality = more than one. If you reject a future plurality of ages, won’t your eschatology fail to be scriptural? I mentioned this in the Blasphemy thread but it seems you’ve overlooked it.

how can you not see that the age of grace began with Christ’s death and resurrection? the age of law was between Moses and Christ, the Age of the Promise was between Abraham and Moses, and so on.

you have also not bothered to explain why the “unpardonable sin” is not a problem for Arminianism? if it can be committed while still alive, then it contradicts what you’re saying about us having freedom of choice til the end of our lives. if you’ve committed that sin, you no longer have any free will to change it. what then?

WAAB, i was about to quote that Scripture. you are right to bring that up. evidently i am “tapdancing” around Scripture, and i need a partner :wink:

So very true. It says “ages” which means there are more then just this present age and eternity. Paul was saying in the coming “ages”. If it were just this present age then eternity, Paul would have just said, in the age to come.
Plus the term age in and of itself implies for a period of time, not endless. Why would one age end but not the next one? makes no sense.

didn’t see this. i apologise for losing my temper with you :blush:
really big of you to apologise, and i will follow your example in those many times when i am corrected.

also, i like you you’ve said that you believe it to be true that one must receive Christ as Lord while alive. we must all speak from such a place of faith, because honestly one can study and study this Bible of ours and come to so many conclusions. i believe (!) that God did this to keep us humble…that way no one person has all the keys to all knowledge…but if we work together, we may just eventually be able to understand what He wants us to learn.

This is the only place in scripture where “ages to come” is mentioned in a future tense. Paul is not using this phrase to indicate future ages ( This would contradict Matt 12:32; Eph 1:21, etc) but only expressing himself about the future time where Christians “will enjoy the surpassing riches of His grace”. Paul used this type of usage of “ages” to describe a very long time is also seen in Col 1:26. Paul is not saying that there are literally eternal past “ages” in Col 1:26, but that in long times past.

Matt 12:32
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Ephesians 1:21
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

Sounds like you’re talking about different dispensations or times that would fall under the umbrella of “this age” in which we have evil, suffering since Gen 3. Paul called it the “present evil age” in Galatians 1:4.

The unpardonable sin is a progression not a single act. No, they exercised their free will to the point of searing their conscience and being unable to be convicted of their actions. Big difference. Searing your conscience is very serious, deadly condition of your heart.

It depends on what “the world to come” is implying. The 1000 year millennium? Eternity?