The Evangelical Universalist Forum

John 6:66 disciples no longer walked with Jesus

The following verses prove that “no more” (= no longer, Greek οὐκέτι, ouketi) does not necessarily mean never again:

John 17:11 And I am no longer in the world, and yet they are themselves in the world, and I am coming to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, which You have given Me, that they may be one as we are.

And yet Jesus will return again to this world at His second coming.

Acts 20:25 And now, behold, I know that all of you, among whom I went about preaching the kingdom, will no longer see my face.

Would the saints never again see Paul’s face, not even in the afterlife? Or only in this mortal life:

Acts 20:38 sorrowing especially over the word that he had spoken, that they are about to see his face no more. Then they accompanied him to the ship.

If you grieve your brother by acting not in love, does that mean you can never again confess your sin & “walk according to love”:

Romans 14:15 For if on account of food your brother is grieved, no longer are you walking according to love. Do not destroy with food that one of you for whom Christ died.

If you “no longer live”, can you occasionally sin or backslide or apostasize & live again:

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. And that which I now live in the flesh, I live through faith from the Son of God, the One having loved me and having given up Himself for me.

See also:

Galatians 4:7
Ephesians 2:19
Philemon 1:16

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world sees Me no more, but you see Me. Because I live, you also will live.

And yet every eye will see Him:

Revelation 1:7 Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, and those who pierced Him, and all the tribes of the earth will wail because of Him. Yes! Amen!

Furthermore, postmortem repentance & salvation won’t require one literally physically “walk…with Him” (Jn.6:66), the pre resurrected mortal Jesus.

If someone “no longer” loves his GF/BF, does that necessarily mean he/she will never love them again, in this mortal life or postmortem?

75 UR verses + 100 proofs + 150 reasons etc:
http://radical-reaction.com/MyChristianSites/ShepherdsVoice/index.html

Well, this thought came to me. Isn’t verse 666, the mark of the beast? No wonder the disciples, no longer walk with Jesus. Just a thought, in passing. :wink:

1 Like

Clearly “no more” is defined in these instances by the time frames or ages in which they are contained. Its like going to work and a person leaves for the day because a job related task is on his way home. His boss asks, “Will you be coming back?” To which the replys no. The boss says, OK goodbye.
So should we infer from the mere wording that the employee quit his job or that he simply wont be back in the timeframe of that particular work day?
Simplification works when certain assumptions are understood. If they are not understood the words can be misunderstood.
In our case Universalism understands that wordings that sound permanent are defined by ages. Obviously Paul would see his beloved in the next age.
So are you pointing all this towards the aionian punishment?

1 Like

The modern Christian imagination creates an omni-/ omni Jesus and thereby ignores the NT implications that Jesus was hampered by all our human limitations, including our need to learn obedience and to grow through trial and error. The upshot is that we can’t imagine why several of His disciples, besides Judas, would become disillusioned with Him.

This problem becomes even more acute, when we consider the rejection of Jesus’ ministry and claims by His own family. Didn’t Mary’s virgin birth narrative make a dent? Wasn’t His family’s exposure to the majesty and perfection of the carpenter Jesus’ character sufficient to create more respect for His ministry? Well, consider these Gospel texts:

(1) Not even His own brothers believed in Him (John 7:6). Note that this lament is expressed right after the report of mass defections among Jesus’ group of disciples (6:660).

(2) Speaking of Himself, Jesus laments: “Prophets are not without honor, except in their hometown, AND AMONG THEIR OWN KIN AND IN THEIR OWN HOUSE (Mark 6:4).”

(3) "“And the crowd came together again, so that they could not even eat. When Hi family heard it, they went out to physically restrain Him; for they said, “He is out of His mind (Mark 3:20-21)!” Some translations seek to evade the offensive implication by translating, “People were saying.” But ther is no mention of “people” or 'others” in the Greek and the violence implicit in family efforts to seize Jesus suggests the natural interpretation that it is the family who has concluded that Jesus is out of His mind.

For me, this mass disillusionment adds credibility to the Gospel narrative and makes Jesus’ role as our example more realistic, without an unfair advantage guaranteed by His divine nature.