The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Jordan Peterson, Russell Brand, Gregory of Nyssa, & the Bible: Does hell inevitably lead to repentance?

In my latest post, I look at Dr Jordan B Peterson, Russell Brand, St Gregory of Nyssa, and the Bible regarding the question: Does hell inevitably lead to repentance?

1 Like

“Thankfully, evil doesn’t have God’s sustenance and strength—it is inherently unstable, it collapses, it shatters, it falls apart, revealing that it’s utterly pointless, boring, disappointing, unattractive, undesirable, and repulsive—utterly unchoosable.”

Well said Alex.

“There’s no evil so evil that good cannot triumph over it.”

Which recalls:

Rom 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Rom.5:20b But where sin increased, grace increased all the more,

1 Like

I believe in the universal priesthood of believers and so does my church so they ask Christians within the congregation to preach. I’ve only done a few as I tend to put a ridiculous number of hours into preparing them (e.g.my last one took around 100 hours over several months).

Thanks Origen! Those are important verses in relation to the question. You probably already know that Origen of Alexandria also shared Gregory’s view of evil. I just finished proofreading a draft of A Larger Hope? Universalism from Christian Beginnings to Julian of Norwich, by Ilaria L. E. Ramelli so I’m particularly excited by these Early Church Fathers at the moment!

1 Like

Hi Alex,

Do you have a potential timetable for when A Larger Hope? will be published? It showed up on Amazon at the start of the year. I purchased it a head of time, but the order was canceled by Amazon a few months later. I have been looking forward to this book for several years. Thanks!

I’ve been eagerly awaiting it for years too. I’m hoping to talk to Parry about it soon… once I know more, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like