The Evangelical Universalist Forum

JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Ephesians 2

Part of my Exegetical Compilation series.

Some non-universalists, especially some Calvinists, appeal to Ephesians 2, thinking that this chapter somehow counts against universal salvation on the ground that no one, or more precisely no sinner, starts off in citzenship of the kingdom but are saved from their sins into loyal citizenship of God’s household by the grace of God.

Christian universalists wouldn’t typically disagree with that, however. Some of us (myself included) disagree that we were utterly not children of God before God saved us and merely ‘adopted’ us into His family; but that is because we (along with some Calvinists when they think this counts as testimony for God’s special election!) remember Galatians 4 among other places, where Paul clearly indicates that by “son-placement” he means the raising to family authority and responsibility a child who is already the son of the father (not at all “adoption” in the sense being usually appealed to here), although the child is treated as being a slave so long as the child is immature and/or rebellious.

Similarly, in writing to the Ephesians (most of whom were not previously Jews), Paul speaks in this chapter (v.19) of Gentile Christians no longer being guests and travelers (sometimes mistranslated as “strangers and aliens” as in the NASB) but fellow citizens with the saints and being of God’s household. The translation there is somewhat important, because guests and travelers are to be honored in Near Middle Eastern contexts!–although Paul does agree elsewhere, such as the beginning of the chapter, that as impenitent sinners we are alienated from God and children of indignation and sons of stubbornness.

Even so, there can be no absolute distinction here between Calvinist elect and non-elect, for Paul testifies that he and his fellow Christians were among the sons of stubbornness and children of indignation (vv.2-3)! Despite this, God, being rich in mercy because of His vast love with which He loves us, brings us to life together in Christ, saving us by grace, and rousing us together seats us among the celestials in Christ Jesus (v.4ff).

Along the way, at 2:17, St. Paul quotes from Isaiah 57, where God talks about how He punishes rebels even to death in order to lead them to repentance and salvation from sin, promising that He will surely succeed at this and so comfort both those who were punished and those who are mourning over those who have sinned. The result is “Peace, peace, to those who are far and to those who are near”, Gentiles and Jews becoming one people through the Messiah. (See comments on Isaiah 57.)

Members are welcome to contribute further discussion and links to other threads below.

If you find my compilations helpful, feel free to tip me $5 here at Amazon, near or at the top of the list. You can tip me for multiple articles of course. (I get $2.50 of each single $5 tip.)

1 Like

Thanks for your exegesis on Isaiah 57 and Ephesians 2. They are like medicine to me for I have been mourning for the lost of my dad for more than year. Not until his death I have not come to realize that the theology of never ending torment or annihilation of sinners has distorted the Fatherhood of our Creator so much that it would give people who are mourning for their lost despair rather than hope. Though this was taught and accepted by myself without question before, now I can see light from the universalists’ position. Contrary to what other has claimed, the universalistic position encouraged me much more to spread the trustworthy and victorious gospel, which is truly the good news of Jesus victory over sin, suffering and death through His resurrection and our resurrection in the future. Church is the first fruit in this age and though judgement will come and Gehenna is real, the gates of the new Jerusalem never shuts but open to penitents who seek for healing rather than the second death (lake of fire outside the celestial city) (Revelation 21-22).

1 Like

I’m certainly glad to be of any assistance! (I had to be touchy around this topic when sub-teaching at Sunday School recently, as you might imagine.)

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the chastisement is necessarily difficult for everyone. As C.S. Lewis put it (referencing MacDonald with some directness), God heals whatever can be healed, and excuses whatever can be fairly excused: it’s what’s left over, the sin that a person continues to insist on (still fondling outside the gates of the city, as in RevJohn 22), that still puts the person at odds against the Holy Spirit convicting them of the sin. And even that might amount to a stern talking-to (or the equivalent).

Some non-Christians, who never even realized they were serving Jesus, apparently won’t even need that! – they have been part of the mature (or maturing) flock all along, and are welcomed in at once, as they come to realize Who they have been working along with. (Lewis liked to talk about that, too, realizing the implication of the other side of the sheep and goats judgment: there will be surprises! This of course is exactly why he wrote the character of Emeth.)

1 Like

That’s comforting enough for me and it is well-said. However, the problem of my dad was like that of Susan (worldly concern has caused him backsliding from his Roman Catholic faith and btw, I regards Catholics as fellow brothers and sisters).

But as you say, God heals whatever can be healed, and excuses whatever can be fairly excused: it’s what’s left over, the sin that a person continues to insist on (still fondling outside the gates of the city, as in RevJohn 22), that still puts the person at odds against the Holy Spirit convicting them of the sin. And even that might amount to a stern talking-to (or the equivalent). And I won’t imagine it too hard to persuade my dad who were willing to go to church on and off. His drug-induced depression has made him lost his wit and caused his demise. And in His judgement, He will remember mercy. Yet, even chastening is painful for the time being, it will bring peace and righteousness to perfect His creatures.

I love the character of Emeth in the Last Battle.
I do believe there will be surprises. All will know and acknowledge who Jesus is anyway, then all as followers of Christ will become Christians, and will be brought by Jesus to our Heavenly Father as He is the way, the truth and the life. Though that will still require our repentance from our sins submission to our King Jesus who died and was resurrected for us by our Heavenly Father.

Thanks again