The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Keller and Carson on Hell and God’s Love (more details)

Wow, this is really sick! I, too, am really disturbed, lately, with reformed theology. Just today a former youth pastor quoted Charles Spurgeon. I was reading his quotes that we should question whether or not we are really Christians if we doubt his doctrine of election, limited atonement, and even said we have the spirit of the devil. The markers of a real Christian were that we believe like they do, that God finds glory , somehow, in sending people to hell, rather than the fruit of the spirit. Yikes!

It really is nice to see you guys interacting with others to put Eu on the map. It’s exciting!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ask him if he could worship somebody he could crucify.

It’s not like universalists think God has to ask permission of humankind to send Jesus back to the world to conclude its history. Gosh.

Tom

:laughing: I was thinking when I read the first part that commentators (MacDonald comes immediately to mind, Lewis following after him) have occasionally observed this to be an element of the development of Judaism. They had no use for a God that didn’t terrify them, indeed could be only expected to abuse such a God (insofar as they could), and being what they were they did well to fear God.

This leads naturally to the result that they would have no respect for a Messiah (much less for a God!) Who wasn’t immediately interested in kicking the butts of the unrighteous but rather was interested in sacrificing Himself to save His enemies. The result of people who only respect power?–disrespecting and so abusing those who have no power. And so what happens when the Messiah doesn’t live up to their standards?

patheos.com/community/philos … versation/

And so the discussion goes on and it gets even more interesting.