The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Kevin's excellent response to Justin Taylor’s interview/blog

, Kevin"]In case you haven’t seen it yet, over the weekend I posted an outtake from an interview I did with Reformed blogger Justin Taylor, in which he argues that Calvinist theology does not make God a moral monster. Today, Justin posted a few follow-up comments on his blog. So I thought I should share some thoughts here as well. First, a quick summary of the video:

Justin begins by affirming that God is all-loving and all-powerful, and that he can save everyone (from hell). But God loves his Bride, the elect, in a special way. Therefore, he won’t save everyone, and this in no way violates his loving nature. The only reason we may have a problem with this, is that we begin with a human definition of love (such as “God loves everyone equally”) and then hold God hostage to that definition.

Justin wants to reverse this, arguing that humans don’t define love; God does. And if God is love, everything he does is loving–including loving some people and not others or killing the firstborn sons of Egypt, as recorded in the book of Exodus. Furthermore, as part of the Trinity, Jesus actively participated in such events. Therefore, if we are going to accept Scripture as authoritative, we have to accept that slaughtering babies is perfectly compatible with love of enemy–at least when God/Jesus does it.

I push back against this…It’s worth watching the interview & reading the response :sunglasses:

Hi Alex

Thanks for posting this. I’ve not watched the video yet, but I’ve read Kevin’s blog. Excellent stuff.

Kevin really nails it when he exposes the error of Taylor’s switching the pervasive and obviously correct Biblical metaphor for the relationship of God to his creatures - ie parent-child - for one largely of his own making - ie judge-criminal.

Also, Taylor shoots himself spectacularly in the foot when he says, “in the Christian worldview we are rebelling against the Judge and receive a free offer of mercy which we reject”. For of course, as an adherent of Reformed theology he is obliged to admit that we are not free to do anything - for God chooses who ‘accepts’ or ‘rejects’ this chimerical ‘free offer of mercy’.

Taylor is guilty of the usual Calvinist doublespeak, as preached by my buddy Mark Driscoll, among others. :smiley: Until those of the Reformed persuasion have the guts to come out and just admit that their theology is inherently contradictory, and affirms the nonsensical notion that what we human beings call black (ie the slaughter of the innocent) is actually white, hence rendering it impossible for us to know *anything *about anything, I shall continue to despise and reject that theology. Calvin’s God isn’t worth believing in, let alone worshipping.

All the best

Johnny