The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Love and Sin?

Would God be able to love sinless people unconditionally?

:laughing:

Awesome! I definitely laughed…

I’m fairly certain I understand where the question is coming from. But, thinking a bit about it… the definition of “unconditional love” is such that there are no conditions that would preclude one from receiving said love.

So - if a person must be sinful in order for God to unconditionally love him, then the love is not unconditional. Right?

Besides, for those of us who are of the trinitarian mindset, does the Father love the Son unconditionally?

Perhaps the question should be more of an observation - Love is only proven to be unconditional if it is given when there is a reason for it to be withheld. Love may be unconditional, but it is not be proven to be so in the absence of sin. God’s unconditional love is decisively shown in Christ dying for us while we were yet sinners.

Thoughts?

Good thinking here. Or, in the words of the boy who just learned to ride a bike, “Thumbs up for rock 'n roll!” :smiley:

I thought about this before I asked the question and have to admit that it almost caused me not to ask it. However He who knew no sin became sin that we might become the righteousness of God. In other words God revealed His love for a flawed humanity by becoming sin in the form of a human in order to show us His love.

As sinful humans we have become the righteousness of God. In His omniscience God allows us the Love that He has in the Trinity by making us part of Himself. I know what I’m trying to say though it may not be coming across clearly. I’ll have to dwell on this a bit longer.

My question is, can love be anything but unconditional?

What a brilliant question. I don’t know… http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/think/m1703.gif

According to 1 Corinthians 13, apparently not… :astonished:

Word. :slight_smile: