The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Love: is it REALLY Volitional? ie a “free choice”?

subtitles might include:
–Taking “free will” down another notch;
–Calvinism; not so bad as we thought;
–Stripping “free will” of it’s traditional power;
–Predestination explains more than we thought;
–Our response to God is not what we thought it was…

Introduction:

In all honesty, this is but a continuation of another question I’m struggling with here evangelicaluniversalist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5428 in which I wrestle with how to reconcile the notions of predestination and free will. We of the UR conviction don’t mind so much if God’s salvation is said to be “predestined” it seems to me; though some prefer not to use this language (finding it perhaps too loaded and potentially misunderstood). However, we also find very offensive, ie wrong, incorrect, simply unacceptable, the idea that damnation is predestined by God. ie planned beforehand as an outworking of God’s will.

(Please note that I’m using quote marks not to express cynicism, but to acknowledge that perhaps these words have different meanings for all those involved in the discussions…)

Arminianism, the intellectual home turf on which most of us were formed, departs from Calvinism in allowing some contribution (often a pretty large one as it turns out!) to salvation to be made by our free will. But this unmasks a seemingly unresolvable tension with Calvinism because Calvinism has decided (or, at least it seems obvious to them…) that our free choice is something we “do”, something that we “provide”, something we “contribute” to our salvation thereby negating the bible’s claim that salvation is from God, by grace/faith (I’m using them interchangeably for convenience sake…) Alone.

Now it begins to get murky (contentious even) about here because Arminian’s also like to say that they are saved by Grace Alone. Except they then begin to find ways to smuggle in various degrees of free will into the process! “Of course we must accept!” they’ll say; “that seems obvious!” Others, recognizing their vulnerability to the charge of salvation needing something besides God’s Grace (namely, our “contribution”) try to mute free will’s involvement by calling it “synergy” – ie we must “cooperate” and “work together”. Calvinism replies “no, you can’t do that; for ‘cooperation’ is every bit a contribution as is ‘accept’ and ‘choose’”. “That’s not ‘Grace Alone’ anymore because it’s ‘Grace plus’ now.”

Seeing this problem, other Arminian’s respond by forming something of a hybrid between Calvinism and Arminianism. I think I first heard that this has been given a name – “Calv-Arminiam” – in Ravi Holy’s thesis (Alex first brought it to my attention here… evangelicaluniversalist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2549) which is titled “Damned Nonsense”. (Great read by the way)
Here the idea is to accept only half of predestination – the “saved” half. The other half (who actually talks about the “halves” of salvation anyway?? Oh well…!!! Obviously, when I say “half” I mean the other path ie the path to salvation or the path to damnation) – the damned – do have a contribution to their destination; they choose hell, they reject salvation, however one wants to put it… Many though, and especially me I suppose, find this position invalid, contradictory, and approaching the absurd. To suggest (as an SDA friend of mine has) that “opting out” of salvation is volitional and therefore my responsibility for my arrival at damnation – yet “opting in” is not a volitional act (which might mean I thereby make some contribution to my salvation) is simply incoherent so far as I can tell.

Main Thesis
(sorry for the insanely long intro!)

[size=150]Is love – ie the love “response” to God’s Grace – really a free choice we can make? [/size]
I would like to also ask my question like this:
Is there a rational way to accept that predestination to salvation really isn’t a choice at all, ie it does not involve our volition, but is, nonetheless quite real and legitimate? This would avoid the problem of being accused of believing in a “Grace plus” doctrine.

I’m doing this because I would like to explore (this is all a thinking-out-loud experiment; admittedly not ready for prime time!!) if it is possible to honor the Arminians attempts to embrace the happy side of predestination while at the same time honoring his commitment to free will. (And, of course, hopefully help pave the way to a more likely positive response to UR!)

(I would like to leave aside for the moment the so called choice to damnation if I may…)

So then… …here I am pondering God and His goodness and wonder and… well, my heart is just filled! And you of course know the feeling of this presence and peace in your lives. And I believe this “thing” I am experiencing towards God is Love. I call it love, I want it to be love, I believe it is love. But someone comes along – let’s say a well meaning Arminian – and tells me “you know Bob, that’s not really love, unless you could freely choose against all of this.” “Love must be chosen to be real” he goes on “so if you are not able, right now, to ‘un-choose’ this special thing you’re calling love, it can not be considered ‘real’ love.”

Does that strike you as in any way plausible?
It sure doesn’t seem so to me!!

Instead I would protest! and say “dude! you are either insane, or really poorly informed.”
That would be my impulse.
But why?

Well, it’s a bit hard to put into words I suppose, but it’d be something like this…

There was a moment in my life – I can’t say if it was a series of connected moments, which perhaps extended over some period of time, but lets just call it a moment – when it’s as if God “suddenly” (again, actual time factor not important) became clear to me. And when I saw it, there simply WAS no other option about it! It was NOT a “choice” like people speak of – nor did it seem anything even remotely like a choice to “accept”. That is, I understood, for the very first time, I was being (and later discovered I was all along!) embraced in the loving arms of God and the idea to “reject” that embrace was simply nowhere on the radar screen! There was no processing of the fact that it would have been stupid, and irrational to do so. (it obviously would have been both!) I realized, in some poorly understood way, that I was home now, where I belonged, where I was intended to be, and had always been welcome there. In a sense, I knew that all was, and would be well.

The notion of “choosing to reject” this would have been dizzyingly irrelevant, to say nothing of irrational.

And I might also relive in my mind the journey in which I came to “fall in love” with my wife. Oh, at first I could say it was a “choice” to talk to her, to take her out, and repeat those things. Slowly however, something was happening. Then the dawning awakening that I really do care about her. I want not only to be with her but there is this desire to help see that only good things come to her. What was in her interest, was also MY interest. BAM – I was “in love”. A moment? or a series of them? Didn’t matter. I knew – unforced, yet “unchosen” – I would not be content, or happy, or at peace until she also knew the same things about me… So today, if someone told me my love for my wife was only real IF I had the choice to withhold it and walk away I would find that “crazy talk.” Neither could I rationally say I love her because I have chosen to love her. It just isn’t happening in that realm/on that level.

Now, and I realize I risk veering off the track here, I am suggesting that my response to love with love (first example God; second example, my wife) can not be categorized, in any meaningful way, as a volitional act. It’s a response, to be sure, but is not volitional. Shall we call it an instinct? or perhaps a reflex? I cannot really say. But if we really are created in the image of God, as we so often say, it might as well be this; our ability to react as in a reflex or instinct, to love. Force is not the issue, nor is choice.

One last example of the peripheral (ie limited; extremely limited) nature of choice but in a slightly different setting:

You are a youth leader and are guiding your teenagers on a strenuous hike in the mountains to a lovely alpine lake. Along the way, you come to a very dangerous area where there is no choice but to walk along the edge of a deep abyss. One can do this quite safely if he stays back from the cliff edge, but still not so safely that he is not impressed by the certain death which would follow from leaping off the edge.

When you arrive at the lake you decide to speak to them on the notion of “free will” and love. Love must be “free” to be “real” you say. Being a devout free will Arminian, you start by telling them that to be free, one must both have a choice and be able to make that contrasting and opposite choice. For a choice to be real, it’s opposite must also be able to be chosen you say. Then you say “today, you were free to jump to your death. We know that because we know you also were free NOT to choose to jump to your death.”

The question might then be, do we really think the apparent validity of the “choice” to jump to ones own certain death is the sine qua non (the essential condition) of freedom?? Can we even speak of this as a legitimate “choice” – given the obvious nature of it’s irrationality and foolishness?

To call it a possible choice is true only in the smallest and most remote and hypothetical and trivial of ways. It is so obviously counter to my own self interest, and desires, and to rationality, that I don’t feel any discomfort in saying it’s not really a “choice” at all. Which is pretty much how I feel about my “choice” to love my wife. Or love God.

What do you think??

Bobx3

Great post Bob! You circle around a lot of things I’ve thought about for a long time. Here is my immediate reaction.

I do believe in free will, and for the following reasons:

a) experience - the occasional feeling of freedom is one of the most powerful feelings I’ve ever experienced
b) without it, God becomes the author of sin
c) without it, my notion/understanding of personhood is destroyed

I don’t mind at all explaining any of the above in more detail if you’re interested. In short, without free will, it seems to me everything is reduced to the mere instrumentality of the divine will. (Would you blame the bullet or the man who pulled the trigger?) As one guy put it, determinism results in a functional pantheism. And what do you do about the problem of evil is you’re a pantheist or determinist? You either say God is evil (which is blasphemous) or you say that we’re unable to affirm anything meaningful about his nature - we cannot say he is all and only good; he doesn’t fit into our categories of thought; his ways are above our ways; etc. To me this is equivalent to not believing in the Christian God at all.

Now, about love and free will. I think the word “love” is used loosely to mean a lot of different things. The type of thing you’re describing - “falling in love” or being overwhelmed with the love of God - I don’t believe requires, as part of itself, the possibility of rejecting it or choosing against it. I call experiences like this “feelings” and they are something that we have little, if any, control of. When they are good, I think they’re graces (you could even call them irresistible) and should be enjoyed as all God’s blessings. But I do not think such feelings are the end we were made for. If that was the case, God would just overwhelm us with such feelings all the time and all sin (and all growth of any importance) would be impossible.

There’s a great line in Screwtape somewhere that talks about the sweet, overwhelming feeling one feels when he first becomes a Christian, and how it is not meant to last. It quickly fades away and the person is left “doing grunt work” and going on nothing but the sheer will and obedience alone. I kind of think that’s how it works. God gives us good feelings as blessings sometimes. But we were still made to become like Jesus; indeed, to be “gods”. This requires free will. That means that we can’t always be being overwhelmed by irresistible impulses to good. We must become good; we ourselves must do it and become it. The compulsion that exists in the irresistible graces mentioned above - if that same compulsion existed in all our acts, then the ones in which we are growing like Jesus would not really be us doing the growing. And I don’t think that type of growth is something God cares for - us being good merely by his instrumentality, rather than from our very selves willing and doing and choosing it. The latter, I think, must give him infinitely more pleasure. Imagine trying to teach your child to draw. At first you will hold your hand over hers and trace the picture for her. But sooner or later you must remove your hand and let her draw the picture for herself. (Not to say God only gives us good feelings at first, then never again. I think he’s constantly combining good feelings and free growing opportunities for us.)

You mention you love your wife and you can’t really help that. I can totally understand. But isn’t it possible, in those moments where your love for her is not irresistible, to make voluntary actions of your own free will that help you grow into a more perfect lover of hers? How would you feel if you could give your wife a pill that made her feel loving towards you all the time and made it impossible for her to ever have an unpleasant thought towards you or to ever do anything contrary to your will?

It can really be put best by saying the things that happen to us are different sorts of experiences than things we do. If we never did anything - or were never given the opportunity to do anything - I’m not sure how we’d have any value in God’s eyes (nor how we’d distinguish ourselves from God or have any notion of what “myself” means - but that’s a different argument).

Anyway, just some thoughts. Thanks for provoking them!

And thank you too Chrisguy90 – your reply is very relevant and important.

Several things to hone in on here.

First of all, I’m not shying away from feelings when I say this, but my intent is not to equate my experience of love with feelings – except to the extent that they are unavoidable. I don’t mind calling my experience with God a “feeling” but I would insist that it far far more than that. More along the lines of a commitment, or a conviction, or a new loyalty or something. Feeling yes, but much more. So yes; feelings come and go. They can be fun but fickle. What I’m trying to mean here is that it’s way more than just a clinical evaluation and “science”/logical process. (eg yes, she’s pretty, she’d make a good mom, she’s intelligent, good humored, honest, compassionate, etc etc – yes; she’d make a great wife… ie it’s much more than a clinical exercise and doing a risk benefit analysis!!) Of course what you say about the proper place of feelings is very appropriate and accurate I think.

But remember, it’s partly my intent to try to consider if love requires free will – my suspicion being that it’s an event (or dynamic) that simply happens in another realm. Thereby allowing to suggest that yes, Grace/Salvation is “all God” without falling to the robot status of determinism. That is, to discover if free will can actually do all it’s been said capable of doing. (because when it comes to Salvation, our “doing” is not supposed to be given any credit… as the thinking goes…)

Second then I guess I’d need to divide the main, or central event of “falling in love” from all the little things which foster and cultivate and deepen that love. Thus, it’s our anniversary coming up in a few days. 35 years of marriage. That’s coral (traditional) and jade (modern) for those who know/care about these sorts of things! And yes, I will choose – using my free will I believe – to make it a special day. ie I could easily “choose” not to do that. But this has little to do with that initial decision – which seemed so effortless and unchosen – to love this woman. That is, these volitional decisions are not made in order to love, or so that I may love, but because I already do.
That seems significantly different to me.

Same with God I think. Sure – I’ve been tempted to doubt Him many times, and have actually had some pretty harsh “feelings” for Him from time to time, especially during times of trouble. (just read the Psalms to find out what that’s like!) But these in no way equate with a “choice” to cease loving God. I’m thinking that something like this was on the minds of the disciples when Jesus asks them “are you going to leave too?” And they reply, “to where shall we then go? – YOU have the words of life!”…

So the choice of submitting to the disciplines that cultivate and nurture that initial conviction may in fact be volitional. And I feel bad/guilty/sheepish when I can’t muster the will to follow through on them. I do not see this however as a choice NOT to love God. If that makes sense.

Thus what I’m saying perhaps is that the field of choices we have is more limited than we’ve perhaps believed in the past and does not extend so far as to actually be able to “choose” love. How we exercise that love, yes. But to actually generate the love, no.

— or something like that…

As an aside, I understand it could almost sound like God, in my most vulnerable moment, came to me and quite literally overwhelmed me so that I truly do not, and can not, fathom choosing otherwise. Is that unfair of Him to thus veer so close to being accused of “forcing me” to love Him? I suppose that’s possible – but let me assure you I worry about that not one bit!

As a second aside, what happened at the Cross, in and through Christ, gave God every right to tip the scales in our favor this way – if that’s what we can call it. It’s simply not a valid option any more to think He’s not loving, or to think He’s vengeful, and severe, and demanding and arbitrary. His true nature thus being fully revealed, that’s information He has every right to make sure we have. And ironically, once equipped with that information (information is such an inadequate word here – but I think you know what I mean! truth sounds better I think…) what we experience really can be so overwhelming as to not really seem like much of a choice at all!!

Thanks again Chrisguy90
(have you revealed the significance of this moniker somewhere else perhaps?)

Bobx3

Bob,

Wow, another stimulating post! As I indicated recently to Chrisguy & Paidion, my journey concerning ‘free-will’ seems similar to yours. I’ve argued that the insurmountable problem of Calvinism is not election, but limited election (or predestined damnation). I perceive that we are all ‘predestined’ to salvation in that God’s love chooses to pursue everyone until they come into his full blessing. So I agree that when we recognize something is real, such as love, no choice remains as to whether we’ll believe it, and we can give God total credit for coming to salvation. For me, the belief that we can (freely) “will to believe” has long seemed untrue to experience and logic. It often seems to me that if I could know the weight of all the influences that affect my decisions and beliefs, it would predict and fully account for the choices I actually make.

At the same time, I sympathize with Chris’ thoughtful perspective (and welcome your reflections on them), especially his sense that some power of contrary choice might provide a theodicy that helps protect God from being responsible for a sinful world (though God still would seem deeply involved in setting up conditions of finitude and ignorance that make evil choices inevitable). Thus, as I said on other threads, the concept we call ‘free-will’ remains mysterious to me. My experience, logic, and observation are mixed, in that insofar as I even grasp what “free-will” means, they give me grounds both for assuming it, and for doubting it. We speak of exercising volition (Paidion defined ‘free-will’ as making choices). But even determinists recognize that we make ‘choices.’ My instinct is that something here about ‘free-will’ eludes my comprehension.

Grace be with you,
Bobx1

I think I am of the same mind with both Bobs here. :wink: There does seem to be a very real way in which our choices somehow play in to the process, although I think the stronger case for (libertarian) free-will often overplays its hand. I really liked the “falling in love” analogy. It would seem that experience and reason as well as scripture, would cast a vote somewhere in between hard determinism and libertarian free-will.

I thought I was free for a while, then I saw my bondage.

I asked the savior to free me, and thought I was free again for a while.

I came to hate the doctrines of Christianity so I walked away, free again.

In the end I was dragged back. Am I free?

Some great comments here.

The free will debate boils down to a very practical question. If it does not exist, where does evil come from? Is it possible to still affirm evil’s existence, even, if everything comes from an all-perfect, all powerful God? In short, what sort of theodicy is even possible, given determinism?

I believe that doing away with free will results in either God being the author of evil (and therefore evil, at least in part, himself) or in the absolute denial of all evil as something illusory. Too often the debate between determinism and freedom never discusses this question. In particular, I have found that many who hold the deterministic philosophy simply make no attempt at all to follow their otherwise very tightly reasoned arguments to their conclusions. Interestingly, many determinists believe in determinism because they believe logic is on their side. They hate appealing to mystery when it comes to free will and yet seemingly have no problem doing just this when it comes to the problem of evil.

I would rather hold the mystery with regard to freedom than with regard to the nature of God.

But I do believe that free will is not nearly so mysterious as many determinists think. Indeed, I believe a great deal of their objections can be answered. Some common ones are:

Free will means that there are choices without causes.
If we are free then universalism cannot be guaranteed.
The Bible plainly contradicts free will (see passages about predestination, “not of man’s will”, etc.)
Modern science has disproven free will (see brain study x).
If we have free will God cannot be omniscient since he cannot know the future.

But all of these objections have been adequately responded to (in my honest opinion.)

I do not think either doctrine - determinism or freedom - can be proved or demonstrated to be true. I think such is impossible in very principle. The other side could always say “but that’s just what you’d expect under my doctrine”. However, it seems obvious to me that the belief in free will is superior for the following reasons.

1. I have experienced my own free will at work. To deem such an experience “an illusion” would be as irrational as saying my love for my mother is an illusion. In short, I see no reason for rejecting something so deeply felt and experienced by myself (this is not to say I always am free or that all my decisions are made with my freedom.)
  2. Without free will, many of our concepts are simply rendered meaningless - e.g. guilt, blame, praiseworthiness, sin.
  3. Free will offers a source of evil outside of God himself (though, as Bob rightly notes, God would still be intimately involved in the preservation of said evil. I believe, however, he has justifiable reasons for doing this.) In short, free will is a notion indispensable for any legitimate theodicy. This is so obvious that many Calvinists refuse to even discuss the problem of evil. It is a “mystery” and is something seemingly forbidden to think or talk about. (It is evidently less comprehensible than even the Trinity!)
  4. Without free will, functional pantheism ensues and the notion of personhood is destroyed.

These, then, are the reasons I believe in free will. I’d be interested to see a similar list by a determinist.

As to my username - chrisguy90 is a random name given me once a while ago from an instant messenger service thing. I’m not sure why I used it when I registered here years ago. (I was not born in 1990, in case you’re wondering!)

Aren’t there degrees of freedom? And different kinds of freedom? At the very least, we know that whatever freedom we do have, it is finite, and it does not take place in a vacuum: we are pushed and pulled by forces we do not understand, both inner and outer.
Sometimes, I think we have an ideal of what spiritual ‘freedom’ is , and the ideal is unrealistic, usually grandiose, and impossible. God has the love and power to - POOF!! make it all go away - but His healing and freeing skills seem to be best seen over time, a ‘slow skill’ if you will, but a wise skill.

GMac has a very short story about a man in a prison cell, chained to the wall. There is nothing else to do - he certainly is not free to do anything else - so he begins to polish his chains!! After a while of doing that, a bright Being breaks through the prison walls and frees him. GMac does not explain what that polishing is - but I think he means that sometimes the chains are a gift, and we need to pay close attention to them, polish them with our understanding and compassion. We learn much that is useful from those things that afflict us. (Not that I want any affliction!! :smiley: )

I’ll try to put this in my own words: “There are influences on our choices, both physical and psychological”.

While this is true, influences (at least phychological influences) are not causes, as determinists affirm.

Here is the way I define libertarian free will: "Having made a choice, we could have chosen otherwise."

And no matter what the influences, we could have chosen otherwise—even if the influences are very strong. If a man puts a gun to our head and demands our money, we CAN choose not to give it to him.

I know I’ve posted the following somewhere else, but I’ll add it to this thread anyway. The early Christians were quite adamant in affirming free will:

**100-165 AD : Justin Martyr **
“We have learned from the prophets, and we hold it to be true, that punishments, chastisements, and rewards are rendered according to the merit of each man’s actions. Otherwise, if all things happen by fate, then nothing is in our own power. For if it be predestinated that one man be good and another man evil, then the first is not deserving of praise or the other to be blamed. Unless humans have the power of avoiding evil and choosing good by free choice, they are not accountable for their actions—whatever they may be.” (First Apology ch.43 )

[About the year 180, Florinus had affirmed that God is the author of sin, which notion was immediately attacked by Irenaeus, who published a discourse entitled: “God, not the Author of Sin.” Florinus’ doctrine reappeared in another form later in Manichaeism, and was always considered to be a dangerous heresy by the early fathers of the church.]

**130-200 AD : Irenaeus **
“This expression, ‘How often would I have gathered thy children together, and thou wouldst not,’ set forth the ancient law of human liberty, because God made man a free (agent) from the beginning, possessing his own soul to obey the behests of God voluntarily, and not by compulsion of God…And in man as well as in angels, He has placed the power of choice…If then it were not in our power to do or not to do these things, what reason had the apostle, and much more the Lord Himself, to give us counsel to do some things and to abstain from others?” (Against Heresies XXXVII )

150-190 AD : Athenagoras
“men…have freedom of choice as to both virtue and vice (for you would not either honor the good or punish the bad; unless vice and virtue were in their own power, and some are diligent in the matters entrusted to them, and others faithless)…”(Embassy for Christians XXIV )

**150-200 AD : Clement of Alexandria **
“Neither praise nor condemnation, neither rewards nor punishments, are right if the soul does not have the power of choice and avoidance, if evil is involuntary.” (Miscellanies, book 1, ch.17)

**154-222 AD : Bardaisan of Syria **
“How is it that God did not so make us that we should not sin and incur condemnation? —if man had been made so, he would not have belonged to himself but would have been the instrument of him that moved him…And how in that case, would man differ from a harp, on which another plays; or from a ship, which another guides: where the praise and the blame reside in the hand of the performer or the steersman…they being only instruments made for the use of him in whom is the skill? But God, in His benignity, chose not so to make man; but by freedom He exalted him above many of His creatures.” (Fragments )

**155-225 AD : Tertullian **
“I find, then, that man was by God constituted free, master of his own will and power; indicating the presence of God’s image and likeness in him by nothing so well as by this constitution of his nature.” (Against Marcion, Book II ch.5 )

185-254 AD : Origin
“This also is clearly defined in the teaching of the church that every rational soul is possessed of free-will and volition.” (De Principiis, Preface )

185-254 AD : Origen
“There are, indeed, innumerable passages in the Scriptures which establish with exceeding clearness the existence of freedom of will.” (De Principiis, Book 3, ch.1 )

**250-300 AD : Archelaus **
“There can be no doubt that every individual, in using his own proper power of will, may shape his course in whatever direction he chooses.” (Disputation with Manes, secs.32,33 )

**260-315 AD : Methodius **
“Those [pagans] who decide that man does not have free will, but say that he is governed by the unavoidable necessities of fate, are guilty of impiety toward God Himself, making Him out to be the cause and author of human evils.” (The Banquet of the Ten Virgins, discourse 8, chapter 16 )

312-386 AD : Cyril of Jerusalem
“The soul is self-governed: and though the Devil can suggest, he has not the power to compel against the will. He pictures to thee the thought of fornication: if thou wilt, thou rejectest. For if thou wert a fornicator by necessity then for what cause did God prepare hell? If thou wert a doer of righteousness by nature and not by will, wherefore did God prepare crowns of ineffable glory? The sheep is gentle, but never was it crowned for its gentleness; since its gentle quality belongs to it not from choice but by nature.” (Lecture IV 18 )

**347-407 AD : John Chrysostom **
“All is in God’s power, but so that our free-will is not lost…it depends therefore on us and on Him. We must first choose the good, and then He adds what belongs to Him. He does not precede our willing, that our free-will may not suffer. But when we have chosen, then He affords us much help…It is ours to choose beforehand and to will, but God’s to perfect and bring to the end.” (On Hebrews, Homily 12 )

**120-180 AD: Tatian **
“We were not created to die. Rather, we die by our own fault. Our free will has destroyed us. We who were free have become slaves. We have been sold through sin. Nothing evil has been created by God. We ourselves have manifested wickedness. But we, who have manifested it, are able again to reject it.” (Address to the Greeks, 11)

(died 180 AD):Melito
“There is, therefore, nothing to hinder you from changing your evil manner to life, because you are a free man.” (Ante-Nicene Fathers, Volume 8, page 754)

“If, on the other hand, he would turn to the things of death, disobeying God, he would himself be the cause of death to himself. For God made man free, and with power of himself.” (Theophilus to Autolycus, Book 2, Chapter 27)

130-200 AD:Irenaeus
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good deeds’…And ‘Why call me, Lord, Lord, and do not do the things that I say?’…All such passages demonstrate the independent will of man…For it is in man’s power to disobey God and to forfeit what is good.” (Against Heresies, Book 4, Chapter 37)

150-200 AD:Clement of Alexandria
“We…have believed and are saved by voluntary choice.” (The Instructor, Book 1, Chapter 6)

155-225: Tertullian
“I find, then, that man was constituted free by God. He was master of his own will and power…For a law would not be imposed upon one who did not have it in his power to render that obedience which is due to law. Nor again, would the penalty of death be threatened against sin, if a contempt of the law were impossible to man in the liberty of his will…Man is free, with a will either for obedience or resistance. (Against Marcion, Book 2, Chapter 5)

Hi Paidion - thanks for the comments, as usual they were right on point, and I agree to a large extent.
Please don’t misunderstand me - I’m not trying to get myself or anyone ‘off the hook’ by pointing to this or that cause or influence. I am however pointing to the real fact that we are estranged from God who is our strength; and in that condition of estrangement we are not a match for the world the flesh and the devil. Sure, it is our fault, but nonetheless that’s where we find ourselves, and we have to deal with the results of the bonds of sin. A person cannot lift themselves out of that condition by sheer force of will. We do have freedom enough to ask for help and wisdom, though, and to seek forgiveness and make atonement and amend our lives with that help and wisdom.

I’m really not into the debate so much; it seems obvious to me that our wills are finite, but not non-existent. Anywhere along that spectrum of thought satisfies me.

My reason for replying to your thread is because I am reading an article on the matter. The position could be called “determinism”. What brought me to the article was someone refuting universalism with “free will”, on another forum. Their position is annihilation of the wicked.

Nobody loves freedom more then I. I’m with you in that I prefer to retain free will as a concept, depending on how it is used. Concerning the individuals faith, how does the concept of free will effect their relationship with God. For me, I thought I was free and found that I was mistaken. This seems to happen quite often in my life, I see the error in my theology many years after I thought I knew something. I enjoyed the illusion while I had it, but when it was time, I was forced to move along.

The mystery stays intact. I prefer free will, but I know that it does not trump God’s will. It never has and never will.

I won’t take a stand one way or the other for free will or determinist, except to declare that God is with us whether we like or not, or know it or not. We can’t free will ourselves away from providence, we can only learn to accept it.

(I was born in 1965) :slight_smile:

I think any definition of free-will that does not assume in that definition that all of our choices under that title are uninfluenced, is a workable one.
There are unfortunately some definitions of free-will out there (even official dictionary type definitions) that insist that for the choice to be truly free, it must be uninfluenced and uncoerced in any way.

One of my favorite verses that beautifully illustrates the tension between extremes is this: “A man’s mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.”

So we clearly have some freedom of choice, but it is not complete freedom.

To me, love is the natural response of a healthy soul to being loved. Children naturally love their parents who love them, unless there is something seriously wrong with their mind/soul/heart/(whatever you want to call it). If there is something wrong with the person and the person is healed then they will naturally love in response. I believe we were all created for relationship with God and with eachother, created to love God and eachother. So to me, love is not so much a “free choice” as it is a “natural response” to being loved.

Here we are, trying to balance angels on the head of a pin - really important stuff :confused: - and you have to go an bring Love into the discussion!! :smiley:
Good for you and thanks, Sherman, that was well said - brought me back to the ‘ground’.

Hi All:

It seems to me that discussions of this type, on this topic, are important to have. My sense is that for some time, more and more people have begun to see the inherent limitations in the strict Predestination and Free will divide – as if they (and salvation) can cleanly and starkly be categorized as entirely one or the other.

We, as UR believers, often find that it strains Predestinations credulity when it is employed to damn the wicked because it strains our conception of a loving God. But we also find strict Arminian free will conviction strains credulity when it is given complete power over our final destination (ie you choose: heaven or hell). This is in part because if it has that much power, surely it deserves some credit for our saving; except we deny we can save ourselves.

In addition, the certainty Predestination seems to bring can be wonderfully comforting. At the same time however, the existence of at least some degree of free will seems quite self evident: to say nothing of the near impossibility of building a theodicy without human free will. (an incredibly important point as Christguy90 reminds us…) Human passivity and determinism thus seem highly unlikely, but Free Will as first cause seems just as unlikely (and unbiblical). (by the way… is a self interested “reaction” or “impulse” really a free choice??) All this should serve, it seems to me, to divert people away from dogmatic assertions about either Predestination or Free Will.

Since I deal almost exclusively with Free Will Arminians in my world (ie there seem to be no Calvinists in my circle of friends!) my apparent attack of Free Will (ie is love REALLY an act of free will??) is not intended to destroy the idea of free will, but to explore it’s limits and scope.

Thus, if Arminians have a problem with UR (and they do of course) it’s not just because of their acceptance of the possibility of damnation, but it’s also that they overvalue Free Will. My experience is that a direct attack on the idea of damnation being permanent meets only with active resistance. Thus, I’m thinking an “attack” on Free Will – by suggesting it is limited – might enhance our chances of getting them to see a valid reason to consider UR and awaken in them a reason to re-evaluate the idea of permanent hell.

Because honestly, I often am just utterly bewildered at how difficult it is for folks to see how poorly hell (ect or annihilation) is compatible with a loving God and how little is solved if sin’s “solution” really is just to be rid of sinners by corralling them in ect hell or dispensing with them altogether via annihilation. My hope is that these kind of exchanges will sharpen our ability to challenge Arminians…

So, as Sherman suggests here (as I’m reading you Sherman!!)

we should really have little to fear of the accusation that God is “determining” us when He loves us, but also that it is pretty much His promise that, because He has freed us, at the Cross, we need no longer be separated from this kind of relationship by our own fallenness. Further, this raises the question of how a choice against God can be called “free” when it is so obviously not in our best interest…

Still thinking here; thanks all for your help!!

Bobx3

Actually, I have never met anyone, or read any writer, who holds that our choices are not influenced. Such a position seems to me to be contrary to the obvious.

Hi Paidion:
Your posts are always appreciated. Thanks.
You said, of Libertarian Free Will

In the context of my premise and question, how does this view fit what you are saying?
My assertion is that Love really doesn’t seem so free at all in the examples I’ve mentioned. In fact, it seems almost compelled. In a really nice way!
I would have to agree with you however that it IS, in some limited and remote and extremely unlikely way, theoretically possible for me to choose not to love God… ??
In your view, is this sufficient to qualify my possible choice against as free? Even though it is vanishingly unlikely??

If you say “yes” then we really are on the same page I think :smiley: :smiley:

Further, I have always thought that sin will always be a choice – even after eons of sinless bliss with God. God promises sin will “be no more” but that’s not because it’s not a hypothetical choice. It’s because every single mind in the universe, knowing full well both the horrors of sin, and the bliss of God’s fullness, as well as being truly free, wouldn’t even dream of making that destructive choice! (maybe this is what Revelation means when it talks of being “sealed”…)

Thanks,

Bobx3

I think, Bob, that sin WILL always theoretically be a possible “choice,” but in the sense that, having dogs around, doing what dogs do, I COULD take them outside when I’m done writing this and soon I could have a nice snack of steaming doggy poo. :open_mouth: Maybe it’s not uninfluenced, but I don’t see that as a viable choice. In that light, I see the theoretical possibility of sane, free daughters and sons of God going back to sin as so infinitesimal as to be literally non-existent. :wink:

I admit that I moved into a discussion of free will apart from your premise and question.

However, I think it still fits.

I think you are using the word “love” as an emotion. We all know that anger, love feelings, embarrasment, and all other emotions come and go. We don’t seem to have much control of them. It is little, if any, help to an angry person to tell him, “Don’t be angry.” An emotion cannot be turned on and off in response to a command.

However, Jesus commands us to love our enemies. Thus this word “αγαπαω” must not refer to an emotion. Jesus’ command can be obeyed. It is a decision; it requires free will. Indeed, Jesus tells us HOW to love our enemies, namely, pray for them (Matt 5:44), do good to them (Luke 6:27), and lend to them expecting nothing in return (Luke 6:35). He doesn’t ask us to have love feelings toward them—though often when we act in love, love feelings follow.

I remember in a “marriage encounter” session which I attended with my first wife who is now deceased, we were taught that love is not a feeling, but rather a decision. A decision requires free will.

There is a Greek word, sometimes translated as “love”, but perhaps more accurately translated as “like” or “be fond of”. It is “φιλεω”. Never does Jesus command anyone to like or be fond of someone else. However Paul does say that older women should train younger women to be fond of their husbands and children (Titus 2:4). So a person can be trained to have love feelings—probably by example.

So to have love feelings for God or Jesus is not a decision—does not require free will. But to love God or Jesus (in the sense of “αγαπαω”) does require free will. We love Him by obeying Him. When we do that, love feelings will follow—both to Him and from Him!

I won’t add to much to this discussion as much has been said far more eloquently and knowledgeably then I ever could. There are only few things to respond to first to simply say I understand the utter sense of God’s reality when I first became a Christian and being caught up not just feeling and joy of it, but the clarity and conviction, very similar in respects to falling in love, but more profound I think, but that obvious awareness went, and my scrupulosity kicked in around the same time. I won’t detail what followed afterwards to much, only to say I had no idea what was happening then (and not for over ten years after that) and it was a period of true mental anguish and hell, made worse as it seemed accompanied by the loss of sensing God’s active Presence, but one thing I have learnt is the value of the experiences of people in the biblical narratives and in the Psalms. Many there suffered great depression and sense of God’s total abandonment of them, they could not feel or see Him at all, but He was there right with them, and it is a hard lesson I am learning (and needing to learn again every day) but often those times when we can’t see or feel Him at all that He is most strongly with it, and it’s those times, and those times of trouble when we can grow the most, and can be used by Him to bring love and His restoration and healing to others in ways that couldn’t happen otherwise. It’s by self-sacrificial love and service the Kingdom comes, the way of the cross, as our King is a the Servant King, there isn’t any other way, as hard as it can be, but unlike Himself, we are never alone in it, He always helps us carry such burdens, even when we don’t feel Him.

The second thing is something I touched on in another thread, but I always feel discussions about the need to restrict our free wills or say that full libertarian free wills as part of our personal make-up cannot fully be the case if God is to be fully sovereign and achieve His purposes just seems to put limits on God to me (who doesn’t have any), and says that He isn’t actually sovereign in and through all things, that He isn’t infinitely wise, creative and such. God’s sovereignty and how it fully works is beyond human ability to fully comprehend, but we often attempt to reduce it to something we can look at and take apart, but I don’t think we can, God is both sovereign, wise, creative and powerful enough (infinitely so) to remain fully in control of all things and work through all things without having to deny libertarian free-will to His creatures or reduce or effect it in any way and still bring about His intentions for humanity and their salvation and freedom, and the through them, the world’s rescue, salvation and liberation. Anyway, my thoughts for what they are worth we expressed near the bottom of this thread:

Finally to the question of would it be possible for us to sin in the fully redeemed and restored world and universe after the resurrection if we have libertarian free-will (or some form of it), I don’t think so. Death itself is the completion and the end of sin, the resurrection is going through and beyond death, life after life after death as NT Wright often likes to say, the corruptible becomes incorruptible, our total selves of mind, persona, body etc being completely repaired, restored and glorified with the fullness of Life Himself, a body and life that is powered by the Spirit. The twists, corruptions and false delusions that are the result of death’s corruption that give rise to sin will be gone and repaired, and we will think and feel clearly in ways we can’t fully comprehend now. We will be fully human then, as we are meant to be, beyond death, and the slavery of sin and death, and how it infects our whole selves, our thoughts and perceptions of things will be cleared completely. We will be fully free to be ourselves, to be humanity at last, though as a hypothetical the freedom to act in sin would be there, it would not be an actual or viable choice not because God affected our wills but because we then will be full alive, and be thinking, feeling and acting will full and total clarity and knowing, and as such those actions would be actually impossibly even if they would be hypothetically possible. And example within life as it is now, would be someone who had been suffering severe psychosis and had been treated and cured completely (usually sadly such conditions are not so easily treated but it will suffice for an example) they could hypothetically continue to act in a paranoid or delusional manner, but in reality they never would because they had come through that and their minds and selves are functionally fully and clearly (perhaps for the first time). In fact, they free to be themselves, to act freely for the first time perhaps in their lives, their mind and thoughts their own, and are not in slavery to the extreme mental illness they were under, and so while they would technically be free to continue to act delusionally, they never would because they no longer are, and are finally free from such an illness that had them enslaved.

Perhaps this is part of the reason God allows humanity to walk through the hard and sometimes terrible things the evil that is in us and around us causes, both to work through us to bring His healing in those situations, but also to work through us ourselves as part of the process of restoring and healing us, until death (and sin from which death is the manifestation with it) is destroyed through the resurrection, swallowed into it’s own nothingness, as He takes up everything we have done and grow through by the Spirit, and completes our restoration and healing in the great act that takes us beyond death and decay and into full life and freedom.

Well that is how I see that issue anyhow (a bit rambling, but I hope and pray it can help you a little at least).