The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Mark 3:28-29 and Universalism

There are only two ages that make up eternity, Jeff. This age or world and the age or world to come. Otherwise, Jesus would of said "Hey guys…you know that sin of blaspheming the HS with unbelief that I said “Has Never Forgiveness” in this world or the world to come, but I forgot to include the age of ages…so, my mistake…after this age and the age to come this sin of blasphemeing the HS with unbelief will be forgiven. That makes no sense, Jeff. Jesus himself tells us that this world and the world to come make up eternity. Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the Jubilee to whosoever believes in him, Jeff. :wink:

Scripture references, please. I’d like a biblical response.

I don’t believe there is any point trying to discuss things with someone who slams the door against us in a loud and insulting manner, and then shows up against less than two weeks later pretending first that he never left, then trying to pretend he has quietly and gracefully left, when he clearly hasn’t left at all – and more importantly refuses either to repent of the sin he calls down on himself in the title of his own post (“God does not approve of believers debating doctrine”) or else to repent of his highly uncharitable error in stating such things when he left. Such a person has told us that he is not at all interested in actual discussion; I don’t believe him when he comes back later pretending to be interested in actual discussion when he doesn’t bother to retract his prior condemnation of actual discussion as a major error on his part (in one or more ways).

Which is topically relevant, because the particular Pharisees Jesus is condemning in this scene (from GosMatt and GosMark; GosLuke reports this saying in a scene set much later in the story, though not much later in the text of his own Gospel, but still connected to bewaring the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy) are clearly willing to contradict their own principles in order to be oppositional (Mark 3:23-27 + parallels in Matt and Luke, but especially Matt 12:27 and Luke 11:19). Someone who insists on doing that cannot be forgiven, so long as they insist on doing that, either in this age or in the age to come: they are blaspheming against the Holy Spirit, Who is the Spirit of Truth. They are insistently insulting the very nature of truth: they are willing to sacrifice truth itself in principle and in practice, to find some way, any way, to merely ‘win’ against or ‘beat’ their opponent.

When someone tries to lecture us about the sin against the Holy Spirit, while unrepentantly contradicting himself in order to try to win, then frankly he is calling judgment down on his own head. “Every careless word that men shall speak, they shall render account for it in the day of judgement. For by your words shall you be justified, and by your words shall you be condemned.” (Matt 12:36-37)

Commenting on Matt Slick’s article, on the other hand, is well worth doing. So, onto that! :slight_smile:

That post was epic, Jason. Oooh, how that must sting to anyone with honest ears enough to hear it justly applied to them!

Of course the very nature of such people implies that they don’t and probably won’t develop them before they forget the words spoken. :neutral_face:

You didn’t answer my question about his prayer and reconciling those who blasphemed the Holy Spirit? I assume you believe Paul is wrong that ALL THING were reconciled by Jesus making peace.

Did Jesus pray for them or not and is God refusing Jesus prayer for their forgiveness?

I will keep explaining your statements and questions, Aug, but you will not accept them because they don’t line up with your false doctrines. If you won’t accept Jesus’ words…you won’t accept mine…you are so entangled with so many false doctrine spider webs you filter out what doesn’t line up with your pet doctrines. I love ya, Aug…but I believe this conversation has run its course, my brother. :wink:

Are you serious? Your viewpoint requires MUCH more complicated interpretations than the plain, literal reading that Auggy is espousing.

But of course it’s only natural to see yourself in others.

He is in his role as kinsman-redeemer - but the law of Jubilee also allowed for a man to be returned fully to his inheritance without taking advantage of the kinsman redeemer - it just meant it could take up to 49 years of slavery to do so. That’s why Jesus is the saviour of all men especially those that believe - you just get all the benefits sooner (by way of the narrow path) and the rest go by way of the broad path that leads to destruction.

thumbs up