The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Matthew 7:21 never enter heaven?

The kingdom of God is the rule of God hence the reign of God… the 3 terms are interrelated off the one base word <βασιλεύς,ω> basileus,ō

To follow that logic, if it requires getting “into heaven” (whatever that is supposed to mean), to be “saved”, then are these who “reign upon the earth” not saved:

Rev.5:10 and You have made them a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth."
Rev.20:4c And they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection! The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with Him for a thousand years.

Christians are saved from being “sons of disobedience”, “children of wrath” (Eph.2:1-4) and the “wrath of God”. To have an “inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God” is to be saved from “the wrath of God” coming to those “sons of disobedience” (Eph.5:3-10). Not to reign & or serve & everyone is saved no matter how wickedly they live. Paul says to not let yourself be deceived by such empty words, e.g. antinomianism:

Eph.2: 1 And you, being dead in your trespasses and sins— 2 in which once you walked according to the age of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, the spirit now working in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom we all also once lived in the desires of our flesh, doing the things willed of the flesh and of its thoughts; and we were by nature children of wrath even as the rest.
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 made us alive with Christ even we being dead in trespasses—by grace you are saved—

1 Cor.6: 9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous ones will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor coveters, not drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And some of you were such. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Eph.5: 3 But let sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness not even be named among you, as also is proper to saints, 4 and filthiness, and foolish talking, or crude joking, which are not fitting, but rather thanksgiving. 5 For this you know, realizing that any fornicator, or unclean person, or covetous man, who is an idolater, has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light— 9 for the fruit of the light is in all goodness and righteousness and truth— 10 discerning what is well-pleasing to the Lord.

As to the many & various references to “kingdom”, “kingdom of the heavens”, “kingdom of God”, “kingdom of Christ”, etc, in the Scriptures, one should not conflate them all as having the same meaning. Or even necessarily conflate identical terms (e.g. “kingdom of the heavens”) as having the same meaning in all their various contexts:

“Generally speaking, premillenarians recognize a difference between the present form of the kingdom and the future millennial form of the kingdom. The precise character of the kingdom in the present age as well as the precise character of the kingdom in the millennial period, however, is still subject to various definitions.”

“…As previously indicated, the expression kingdom of heaven is confined to Matthew’s Gospel. To be sure, the expression heavenly kingdom is found in 2 Timothy 4:18, but there is no contextual evidence that this is an identical expression. Daniel also makes the statement that the “God of heaven” will “set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed” (Dan 2:44; confirmed in the prophecy of Dan 7:13-14, 27.) For all practical purposes, however, Matthew’s use of the term kingdom of heaven is the only important use of this expression.”

“Ten major features of the kingdom are revealed in the Gospel of Matthew: (1) pronounced at hand (3:2 ; 4:17 ; 10:7 ); (2) possession and blessing in the kingdom of heaven promised to the righteous (5:3, 10, 19-20 ; 7:21 ) ; (3) Gentiles will be in the kingdom of heaven (8:11 ); (4) kingdom of heaven is composed of both saved and those merely professing faith, the latter to be later cast out (13:24-30, 36-43, 47-51 ; 22:1-14 ; 25:1-10 ); (5) kingdom of heaven subject to rapid growth (13:31-32 ); (6) “birds,” symbolic of Satan, lodge in its branches (13:31-32 ); (7) kingdom of heaven has leaven, symbolic of bad doctrine, externalism, unbelief, worldliness, (13:33-35 ); (8) kingdom of heaven difficult to enter (19:23 ; 23:13 ); (9) some of the features of the kingdom of heaven designated “mysteries” (13:11 ); (10) kingdom of heaven likened unto children (19:14 ).”

“The problem arises, however, in that certain features are mentioned of the kingdom of heaven which seem to contradict statements in some passages relating to the kingdom of God. This has led some to the conclusion that at least in some passages the expression should not be taken as completely identical.” https://bible.org/article/kingdom-heaven

Almost unanimously Bible versions render “kingdom” as “kingdom” & “reign” as “reign”. If God meant “reign” in Matthew 7:21 He could have said “reign” instead of “kingdom”.

Moreover IMO the context of the chapters 5-7 sermon is repeatedly distinguishing the saved from the unsaved. That is the context re the meaning of entering the “kingdom of the heavens” (Mt.7:21).

Matthew 5-7 is not about everyone being saved no matter how wickedly they live or how evil their perverted heart of unbelief is while teaching some of these all saved enter into some sort of a service & reign, i.e. the “kingdom of the heavens”.

I can only present to you what the Greek actually says… as opposed to your claims about the same — what you do with that information is up to you.

And why not? Matthew, Paul and John do. Take Paul here for example…

Eph 5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Cf. Rom 15:16, 19; Rev 11:15; 22:1

Note the joint singularity of the kingdom above… can this legitimately be ignored?

The claim is made that… “certain features are mentioned of the kingdom of heaven which seem to contradict statements in some passages relating to the kingdom of God” — and yet apart from this arbitrary claim no examples are provided demonstrating such to be the case… thus the claim remains unproven.

Not only that however but Matthew himself debunks the whole FALSE notion right here where he himself DOES IN FACT conflate the two terms DEMONSTRATING their identical use and understanding…

Mt 19:23-24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

It is indeed a bit “rich” that Premillennials know this text above but dishonestly go quiet on it as it TOTALLY annihilates their false bifurcation of ‘the kingdom of Heaven / God’ — AND in consequence all their doctrines that errantly flow from this invention.

2 Likes

MM, I agree. However, God also made man with a renewable spirit.

Man was actually created to work and be fruitful.

There are hundreds of verses that speak of this very thing.
Ex. Jer. 49:33 “Hazor will become a haunt of jackals, a desolation forever. No one will reside there. No man will dwell there.”
Jer. 9:11 “And I will make Jerusalem a heap of rubble, a haunt for jackals, and I will make the cities of Judah a desolation without inhabitant.”

This applies to all who fail to follow the Spirit of God. Ex. Egypt, Sodom and Gomorrah, Babylon etc.etc.

Go to an inner city infested with gangs, drugs, etc…etc. and you will see an example of a barren wasteland.

Here, I agree with you. I don’t know what happens when we actually die and neither does anyone else. I don’t believe it’s what the writers of the Bible are talking about.

However, the non-denominational site Got Questions, appears to agree with Origen:

But the Eastern Orthodox perspective, appears to probably agree with Lancia (I haven’t read his post in full, to be honest).

Well, none of the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or Protestant churches - teach dogmatic universalism. However, the Eastern Orthodox church (which I will eventually become a member) and the Roman Catholic Church (where I am in their RCIA program) - allow for Hopeful Apocatastasis. And this is also my position. And with a definitive Inclusivism (1,2,3,4) In fact, here’s a copy of an email today - I sent to the RCIA program director:

Anyway, you asked me if I wanted to be confirmed Catholic. And I need to give an honest answer.

When I started my journey with the RCIA program…I also started going to an Orthodox Church…and getting to know the priests and some of the laity - quite well.

To make a long story short, I recently requested the Chief priest…to instruct me in the ways of Orthodoxy.

So in January, they will put together - a program of instruction for me.

So where does that leave the Roman Catholic church and the RCIA program? Well, I see no reason not to continue with the RCIA. And learn about the Roman Catholic church perspective.

Who knows. Perhaps down the road, I might feel a need to become Catholic. And it will be much easier, having gone through an RCIA program once. And no. I don’t come to the RCIA to criticize anything. But to learn and maybe ask clarifying questions. And I still look upon it, as a church with valid orders, saints, relics, sacraments and holy places.

But there will be some theological differences, between Catholic and Orthodox theology. But they are much closer together, then the Protestant counterparts.

So unless an Orthodox priest chooses me, to attend some class on Tuesday evening…I’ll continue with the RCIA program in January. God bless, God speed and happy holidays.

So, anyway. I’m in McDonald’s today. And I start a chat, with a Ethiopian black gentleman. And we talk about how I like Ethiopian food. And he mentions he is Ethiopian Orthodox. And I share my journey to Orthodoxy. And we exchange contact info. It’s a small world.

Jesus uttered many parables concerning the Kingdom of God (or Kingdom of Heaven—same thing). He gave parables for all stages of the Kingdom, the infant stage, its growth, and the final mature stage.

He gave an example of the infant stage when the Pharisees asked Him when the Kingdom of God would come.

Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he answered them, “The kingdom of God is not coming in ways that can be observed, nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you.” (Luke 17:20,21 ESV)

In what way was the Kingdom of God in the midst of the Pharisees on the day in which Jesus answered this question? A kingdom consists of a king and his subjects. Standing right there in the midst of the Pharisees was King Jesus and his subjects, His disciples. That was the Kingdom of God in its infant stage.

Who are these saved who haven’t entered the kingdom? What kingdom are they in, the kingdom of God or the kingdom of Satan?

I’m still wondering where you ever got the idea I ever thought any such thing. And still waiting for you to provide a quote of mine supporting anything resembling that. Matthew calls it the “kingdom OF the heavens”, not the “kingdom IN the heavens”. Big difference.

Here’s a well written detailed study that explains the verses re the “kingdom of the heavens” in the gospel of Matthew:

If the kingdom doesn’t exist postmortem, then do you think it is temporary?

I suggest you read the study above & below:

E.G., the temporary millennial kingdom that hasn’t begun yet is obviously not the kingdom of God that exists presently.

I have no idea what your point is. BTW most of those verses don’t even use the word “kingdom”.

It’s easy to assume the two kingdoms in Mt.19:23-24 are identical, but that’s not necessarily the case. If a pilot says to his passengers “we are about to land in New York. Prepare for a landing in the USA”, you’ld be in error if you thought NY was identical to the USA. To land in New York is to land in the USA, but to land in the USA is not necessarily to land in NY.

Furthermore, the context (Mt.19:16-29) relates entering the kingdom not to reigning/serving in this life, as per your view, but to salvation & obtaining aionion life (e.g. life in the millennial aion to come). It rejects the teaching that everyone is saved no matter how wicked they are living & believing.

Jesus wasn’t advocating the false gospel that everyone is saved & can live however they wish, e.g… antonimianism, & all go to endless bliss at the moment of death, while some people are chosen to reign in life & serve the rest, with self denial, persecutions & sufferings, and then at death get the same destiny of endless bliss as the wicked Christ rejecters who were persecuting them.

Here is a good paper on the Premillennial view. It concludes:

"The testimony of Scripture is clear—the millennial kingdom of Jesus the Messiah is earthly and future from our standpoint in history. The Old Testament offers evidence for an intermediate kingdom, and this intermediate kingdom is explicitly stated to be one thousand years according to Rev 20:1–10. In addition, the consensus of the early church was that Jesus’ millennial reign was both earthly and future. The truth of premillennialism should cause all Christians to pray what Jesus taught us to pray in Matt 6:10: “Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.” "

I’m doing my part, for Eastern Orthodoxy and Christianity…and leading folks into the kingdom. I hope I’m going about this, the right way! :blush:

Only Matthew uses the phrase “kingdom of heaven,” and he uses it 31 times. He also uses the phrase “kingdom of God” 4 times. Mark, Luke, and John do not use “kingdom of heaven” at all. Does that mean that Mark, Luke, and John didn’t believe in the kingdom of heaven? Not at all. It’s just that they used exclusively the phrase “kingdom of God” in reference to the same kingdom. Mark used it 13 times, Luke 31 times, and John twice. All this shows is that Matthew preferred the phrase “kingdom of heaven” when writing about the one and only kingdom of God.

2 Likes

Okay. So would it follow that Mark, Luke, and John didn’t mind offending Jews?

Also, If that were Matthew’s concern, I wouldn’t expect him to use the phrase “Kingdom of God” at all. Yet he did use the phrase 4 times in his “gospel.”

The rich man in Hades who was being tormented was receiving instruction.

John already wrote that Jesus takes away the sin of the world & is its Savior (John1:29; 4:42; 1 John 2:1-2, etc). And saw everyone worshipping the Lamb (Rev.5:13).

I don’t know what the lake of fire has to do with Matthew 7:21 or this thread, but it’s often equated with Gehenna which is referred to earlier in Jesus’ teaching in chapters 5-7.

The context of Matthew 5:25-26, both before & after those 2 verses, is making references to Gehenna. Verses 21-26 have to do with anger & being reconciled & v.22 warns of Gehenna. In verses 27-30 the subject is adultery & v.30 warns regarding Gehenna.

Matt 5:25-26 Come to terms quickly with your adversary before it is too late and you are dragged into court, handed over to an officer, and thrown in jail. I assure you that you won’t be free again until you have paid the last penny.

“They must pay (as GMac says) the uttermost farthing – which is to say, they must tender the forgiveness of their brethren that is owed, the repentance and sorrow for sin that is owed, etc. Otherwise they do stay in prison with the tormenters. (their guilt? their hate? their own filthiness?) At last resort, if they still refuse to let go that nasty pet they’ve been stroking, they must even suffer the outer darkness. God will remove Himself from them to the extent that He can do so without causing their existence to cease. As Tom Talbot points out so well, no sane person of free will (and the child must be sane and informed to have freedom) could possibly choose ultimate horror over ultimate delight throughout the unending ages.”

Mt.18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. 24 And when he had begun to reckon…
34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. 35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Compare the torment of Mt.18:34 with torment in LOF passages in Rev.14:9-11 & 20:10.

Also compare the Matthew 5 Gehenna contexts, 1 Cor.6:9-11 & similar Pauline remarks with:

Rev.21:8 But to the cowardly and unbelieving and having become abominable and murderers and the sexually immoral and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their portion is in the lake burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

1 Cor.6: 9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous ones will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor coveters, not drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And some of you were such. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

And WHAT was the instruction the rich man in Hades received… betwixt the two there was a GREAT IMPASSABLE CHASM FIRMLY FIXED!!!

Lk 16:23-24, 26 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’

So much for the PU doctrine that views postmortem fiery torments as a mere transit station on the way to better destinations.

1 Like