The Evangelical Universalist Forum

McClymond, Fulkerson and Hieston discussions

Here is a fairly accurate transcript of all four McClymond discussions that follow his lecture on universalism. Well the task is actually done now. Phew…

Dialogues on Universalism with Michael McClymond. Geoffrey Fulkerson and Gerald Hieston.

[size=150]Universalism; the New Testament Doctrine of Mercy.[/size]

G.F. How is the doctrine of hell found in both Testaments and what is the canonical trajectory of linking God’s mercy in the NT with God’s judgement in the OT?

MM. I believe that in both Testaments mercy has priority over judgement. One of the remarkable things in the OT is the astounding mercy of God.
The astounding mercy of God is shown to the Ammonites and Moabites people who are at one point enemies of God’s people and most notably to the Assyrians – a passage in book of Isaiah speaks of Assyria the rod of my anger whom he has raised up to punish the Northern kingdoms and now is about to punish and we think ’end of story’. But later in the book we have the vision of the nations – including the Assyrians - sitting with Israel in the kingdom as restored children of God.
We also have the example of the wicked King Mannaseh who is one of the most wicked of the rulers of Israel who practised witchcraft and even child sacrifice. And yet when he goes into judgement he is greatly humbled before his enemies and he calls on God for mercy and he is not only restored to Jerusalem but actually restored to the throne. And the passage in Chronicles says ‘And then Mannaseh knew that the Lord is God’ – and this illustrates the passage in Romans that says that it is the kindness of God that leads us to repent.
That is one theme of mercy – but then there are some judgments of God that are simply irrevocable. The most prominent one is the irrevocable judgement on Babylon that appear in Jeremiah and Isaiah. The common denominator in these irrevocable judgment is that they are judgements against arrogance and prideful rebellion. The daughter of Babylon says ‘I sit as Queen and will be Queen forever. I will never know mourning and will never know judgement.
There is something about pride and arrogant rebellion that brings down God’s irrevocable judgement. And of course the judgment upon Babylon is picked up again in the Book of Revelation so the final end time judgement is coming upon Babylon. Jeremiah says very clearly that the city will be a ruin and will never be rebuilt. We have to look if we are to do judgement to the totality of scripture that God’s judgment is not final in very many cases but there are some of God’s judgements that are irrevocable.

GH The OT contains types and shadows and prefiguring of what is to come. It is appropriate to see God’s judgments of the flood, on Sodom and Gomorrah and against the Canaanites as prefiguring Gods eschatological judgements (because this is how Jesus saw them). In those OT judgments we see judgment against entrenched intractable rebellion. For example in the Book of Revelation when the people know God’s judgment is coming their Reponses is not to plead for mercy but to gnash their teeth in anger – which shows the depth of their perversity in cursing God.

GF The Day of the Lord is a theme that runs throughout scripture – where God’s judgment can be both cleansing and eternally damming (but sometimes people just expect the cleansing and don’t reckon that judgment may be damming for them)

GH People think of judgement as the dark side of God. But in reality you judge something as wanting because it threatens something that you value. So judgement is actually an expression of God’s love – not of his love for those he is judging but of his love for those he values. In Revelation the saints long for the judgment to come as his expression of his commitment to them. We spend so much time apologising for hell but in the heart of a believer there should be a longing for God’s judgment. IN Revelation Christ comes in wrath as judge not because people have been naughty and need a spanking but because they have abused his Bride the Church.

MM I see both restorative judgement and irrevocable judgment as evident in the Old Testament. Psalm 2 is interesting where God laughs to scorn the nations (which ends with the warning ‘kiss the son unless you perish’).
The Church culture has absorbed ideas from the Enlightenment and secular thought. We need to be more loving, caring and nicer. In Jesus we see perfect love but when this becomes manifest we murder him… And he tells us ‘If they hated me they will hate you also’. We have been seduced by the idea that everyone is essentially good

GH. This shows a misunderstanding of the destructive aspect of sin about how it warps the human heart… We see this in the fall in Genesis we see this when the Guards report Jesus resurrection to the Pharisees – they don’t deny it they just want it hushed up. As C.S. Lewis says – God leaves us with our hellish self autonomy if that’s what we chose in rebellion.
Ministerial reflections on UR

[size=150]Ministerial reflections on the doctrine of Hell[/size]

GF How does the doctrine of universalism distort all aspects of Church life?

GH If you start rejecting the wrath of God you ultimately start rejecting the love of God. I’m thinking of Psalm 136 with the refrain ‘ The love of God endures forever’ – but if you go through it God’s love means that he crushes my enemies – God’s judgement upon our enemies is his expression of your love for us. The problem with the trajectory of denying the wrath of God is that you end up denying the love of God and in the end denying God altogether even if you start off with the good intention of trying to protect the love of God.
I think we see this if you love a child. If you come back to the house and someone is harming the chid your response is going to be intense indignation and wrath. You cannot separate love from hatred and this is one of the insights of Jonathan Edwards in his treatise on the Religious Affections – that a person who truly loves god and loves another person will also love (he means ‘hate’ here :confused: ) what is in opposition to God and opposition to human welfare. It’s naïve to think that life is just a big love fest.
If you lose Hell you lose atonement. If you lose atonement you’ve lost sin and you lose so much in the biblical data of gratitude to God for the redemption and this begins to recede from the corporate experience of worship.
In the Patriot Mel Gibson’s son is killed by a British officer. Another is about to be executed but the British so Mel Gibson wipes out a whole British regiment to rescue him while his two youngest sons who are only boys look on in horror but also in wonder and amazed gratitude. IN that movie Gibson’s love is so fierce that it invokes a sense of fear in his other children. We get something of the same sense in Revelation when we see Jesus coming back with blood all over his clothing after treading out the winepress of God’s wrath - you know how much he loves you and it’s almost frightening. In a universalist church you lose that sense of awe –of ‘Wow do I wanna be loved that much?. IT’s scary how much he loves us - and you’d be in danger of losing that sense of fear.

MM. In a church that is characterised by the love of God with wrath taken out you don’t have the idea of salvation as rescue. If there is salvation its enhancement ‘My life is really pretty good but it could be raised up to a higher level’. This is where we have a Church that focuses on seminars; How to have a better marriage’, how to raise happy children etc… And there is no message that there is something radically wrong with us that can only be rectified by or saviour. Kierkegaard talks in Philosophical fragments about religion A and religion B
Religion A says we already have the truth within us and we need a teacher to draw it out
Religion B says we are destitute; we don’t need a teacher, we need a saviour.
There is a radical difference in what salvation means depending on your assessment of the human situation.

GF Bonheoffer in his idea of Cheap Grace was critical of the idea that we are saved by subscribing to a certain confessional statement.

MM The phrase goes back to Bonheoffer in his marvellous book ‘The Cost of Discipleship’. He says that ‘cheap grace is the grace that we give ourselves’ that minimises the depth of our sin (‘my sin is not so bad…)
Cheap grace is Christianity without the cross, And we see this in some Churches with the cross being taken down and an emphasis on Christ’s victory and the deleting of references to the cross in preaching. The message of the cross is that we are really not OK, complete etc.

G H: In a Church that marginalises the doctrine of Hell preaching will be handled differently. You are either have start to do Marcionite stuff and leave out the Old Testament stuff as not relevant or not accurate – or be ambiguous as we see in Brian McClaren

MM McClaren preaches charity at the expense of clarity and this is something we are seeing in Universalist influenced Churches – ambiguousness and even a celebration of ambiguity. The idea is that the further you go in the Christian life the more uncertain you become – this is not a scriptural idea.
Also we see tortured exegesis. Robin Parry says that the lake of fire in Revelation is OG d himself - and this leads him in to all sorts of exegetical somersaults.
The larger narrative of Revelation is the irrevocable judgement of God – take away this narrative is that there is no urgency to preach the Gospel. Universalism evacuate our decision making –we can directly trace the decline of evangelistic effort to Karl Barth and co.

[size=150]Pastoral reflections on Hell[/size]

GF We’ve agreed that hell is the orthodox position in theology how do we counsel people grieving for those who have died outside to the faith?

G.H. Even in Churches where there is not a rejection of hell there is a silence on it. That’s a hard thing. IT’s easy to talk about Hell in an abstract philosophical discussion. I did a funeral of a person who died an atheist recently who was the brother of a friend of mine . How do you navigate that and what do i say to my friend who knows his brother fro whom he had affection died an atheist and has now slipped under the judgement of God. This is the ultimate question of theodicy.
The Book of Job offers us resources here. Job found himself in a situation where he didn’t have a lot of information about and was not completely aware of what was going on
Job is a righteous man by God’s standards and God who says – ‘I bless righteousness and I bring judgement upon wickedness’ – and he had every reason to expect that he would continue to be blessed. What he did not reckon in his theological calculus – and neither did his friends – was wickedness.
He doesn’t have a theological category for wickedness and the answer that comes in the end is a theophany of God – not explanation. When the issue of hell gets personal when it’s someone I know silence is the best response and finding peace in God himself (that God himself has it figured out) – instead of our theological explanations and rationalisations.
If hell doesn’t; make sees to us it is not for us to judge God for the decisions he made – I’ve met him and seen him in Christ and that is enough. Perhaps there is other stuff for God to reveal that will make sense of Hell.

MM. IN Psalm 19 there is an affirmation that the judgments of God are true and righteous. This is echoed in Revelation 19 where the saints in heaven having seen God’s judgement on Babylon rejoice in this - with the benefit of the information that informs a heavenly view. Our problem is that we are on the ground. Jonathan Edwards had a fascinating analogy for this. He spoke of how from the ground if we point to view the tributaries of a river may seem to be going nowhere. However, from above we can see that they all ultimately join the river that flows into the sea - and this it is like God’s providence.

GH: Hell is the one doctrine today that challenges us to trust God judgment over our own, Maybe that wasn’t true tow hundred years ago. Keller in his book ‘The reason for God’ makes the point that in past times and other cultures people would be offended if you did not believe in hell rather than if you did believe in it.
Hell is the most important doctrine regarding our discipleship because it forces us to come to grips with the fact that we are not God

[size=150]**Hell in Cultural perspective **[/size]

GF Wants to tease out ecclesial implications of MM’s stimulating lecture. While it is certainly right to question UR from the hell passages in Bible – there is more at stake here in terms of cultural laxity and the cultural milieu. What are the values and assumptions of our times that are making this doctrine seems so enticing to us.

MM – Universalism has been marginal for all of Church history but we see a spike in its growth across all denominations – even evangelicals and Pentecostals - now in the twenty first century. The doctrine of hell is interconnected wit central Christian themes What is the nature of God,? What is the nature of Christ? What is the nature of human beings? Why did Jesus die on the cross.?
There is a reaction against the notion of God as authoritative
There is a notion of human nature as essentially good and not in need of punishment
Therefore it no longer makes any sense to think of anyone being punished eternally or separated from God.

G.H. The rejection of modernity and the embracing of post modernity is important here. -The postmodern ethos is all about a rejection of authority, a rejection of metaphysics that we all have to subscribe to, a rejection of a notion of a transcendent God,
Hell is the ultimate statement that there is a God who we have to give an account to, who judges and says ‘the buck stops here’ in the universe. That’s not trendy and it doesn’t appeal. Universalism is an attractive option to someone who want to have a faith perspective but does not want to have Hell as part of this perspective. The philosophical movements in the West have contributed to this. It is interesting if you look at other parts of the world – like the Islamic world – the doctrine of hell is not quite as troubling as it is in the West.

GF In the lecture you connected universalism to Gnosticism. Do you see any link between Gnosticism and post modernity?
MM: The Gnostic worldview does not sharply separate humanity from God so it does tie in with the postmodern trend. For Gnostics the creature is just an alienated aspect of God’s won nature and ultimately everything that is separated must come together again, God cannot be separated from God and even Lucifer is like the prodigal son that is destined for salvation. It is a worldviews in which there cannot be any separation and there is no place for a doctrine of Hell. We may bring negative consequences on ourselves thorough our evil actions - somewhat like the doctrine of Karma - but there is no external imposition because we are not under God.

GH And with that you have an ontological union between God and creature and there’s not a lot of room for sin

GF The average person sitting in the pew who accepts the cultural mores and believes in self actualisation probably would not say they believe in God returning to God. Tease out the implications of how our suspicion of authority and belief in self actualisation has this underpinning Gnostic metaphysic.

MM It’s not obvious, but the message of post modern culture is ‘I am my own person; the captain of my own ship’. This is a deeply American message that interfaces with the Gnostic narrative. In the nineteenth century you have Ralph Waldo Emerson the transcendentalist with his famous essay on Self Reliance. Emerson proposed something like karma - what he called a doctrine of compensation – that evil has its own consequences. But Emerson had no scriptural notion of God – rather he spoke of the ‘Oversoul’ of which we are all part. We have to come back to the foundational principles of the purity and holiness of God. We have to come back to the Old Testament. If we start with the New Testament we are much more likely to shape the image of Jesus like a piece of play-dough to how we want tit.
If we start with the Old Testament we see that when sin was committed God prescribed that people had to perform sacrifices. So a poor innocent hapless lamb – the lamb that was bleating and then bleeding - had its throat slit . Why would the God of the Bible require this? The Universalists don’t; have a good answer. IF we start with the cross at the centre of our faith we see these sacrifices as pointing forward to the final sacrifice. The message of sacrifice is that sin is a very serious thing that brings consequences in its train. It doesn’t just hurt the one who is sinned against. Every act of sin is directly an offence against God.

G.H. Regarding the Gnostics, one of the first heresies tied into a lack of understanding about the Trinity. With Gnosticism you have a lack of understanding of sin and its consequences. With post modernity – like Gnosticism we have a rejection of sin. Once you start loosing the doctrine of sin, whether through Gnosticism or postmodernity, you are going to lose any understanding of the doctrine of Hell.

M.M. An insight from C.S. Lewis. Lewis pointed out that when Jesus came into a situation where he declared forgiveness of sin – he could make that stamen because he was speaking on God’s behalf and as God Incarnate. The implication is that when human begins sin against each other God is the chiefly offended party

G.H. Psalm 51 –‘against you and only you have I sinned’. It’s remarkable because at this point David has just killed a man and stolen his wife and probably killed a whole bunch of people.

M.M. We have to keep relaying these foundational doctrines to make any sense of the doctrine of Hell. Everything come together in the cross where we see God’s holy hatred of sin and his profound love for the sinner.
We haven’t talked much about human choice; but if you are a universalist you will have to say that everyone makes the same choice – a hard conclusion to come to when you look around and see people making different choices - or that you say choices don’t matter (like Richard Dawkins is going to be our brother in heaven along with those who believed in Christ)

If you look at Jesus and when people encountered him he was a fork in the road. As Kierkegaard said – ‘Any situation that can lead to faith can also lead to stumbling’. Jesus is either the stone of stumbling or the cornerstone. The theme runs all through the Gospels and I don’t this we can escape that.

Just reading through…will likely cut my post out the other thread when we get to the last section.

“wrath puff God”…is that like the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man? :laughing:

Interesting they start off talking about God’s mercy trumping His wrath. But odd they use Babylon as a symbol. Babylon the historical kingdom has not existed for millenia. I find it hard to believe that the same Babylon referred to in the OT is being referred to in the NT. It is clearly a symbol for humanity at its worst.

Agreed James - absolutely. Babylon in Revelations is a symbol which in many ways seems to stand specifically for Rome the ‘eternal’ city built on seven hills (although as a symbol it’s meaning clearly transcends the geography). That is a funny piece of exegesis. And I note that the discussion of the doctrine of mercy in the NT is actually nearly all about the OT. That seems strange, even if the ‘trajectory’ of the discussion is trying to make a point against perceived neo-Marcionites. :confused: Perhaps he just means that since Babylon is used as the symbol of that which is ultimately destroyed in the NT this reinforces the actual irrevocable judgement on Babylon in the OT. I’m sure he must mean this - but it is unclear (but it is off the cuff). Sine he is a Calvinist, I cannot think that he will be sympathetic to millenarian speculations about a literal Babylon being rebuilt and then destroyed again

It’s the substance rather than a few details that I disagree with - but these discussion are certainly less polemical than the lecture.

I’m gonna tag this thread at the end of the document I’ve compiled chronicling the “McClymond on Universalism” thread. That way I can keep both threads separated and ongoing to prevent confusion. It will be titled as the OP in the document at that point.

Thanks Dondi :smiley:

[size=150]I’ll tell you what - I’ll put up one discussion at a time for us to comment on here. I’ll start with the last one so that we can take our comments from the other thread to this one through copy and paste and then delete the stuff on the other thread.[/size]

[size=150]Hell in Cultural perspective [/size]

GF I want to tease out the ecclesial implications of MM’s stimulating lecture. While it is certainly right to question UR from the hell passages in Bible there is more at stake here in terms of cultural laxity and the cultural milieu. What are the values and assumptions of our times that are making this doctrine seems so enticing to us?

MM – Universalism has been marginal for all of Church history but we see a spike in its growth across all denominations – even evangelicals and Pentecostals - now in the twenty first century. The doctrine of hell is interconnected with central Christian themes: What is the nature of God,? What is the nature of Christ? What is the nature of human beings? Why did Jesus die on the cross.?
There is a reaction against the notion of God as authoritative
There is a notion of human nature as essentially good and not in need of punishment
Therefore it no longer makes any sense to think of anyone being punished eternally or separated from God.

G.H. The rejection of modernity and the embracing of post modernity is important here. -The postmodern ethos is all about a rejection of authority, a rejection of metaphysics that we all have to subscribe to, a rejection of a notion of a transcendent God,
Hell is the ultimate statement that there is a God who we have to give an account to, who judges and says ‘the buck stops here’ in the universe. That’s not trendy and it doesn’t appeal. Universalism is an attractive option to someone who want to have a faith perspective but does not want to have Hell as part of this perspective. The philosophical movements in the West have contributed to this. It is interesting if you look at other parts of the world – like the Islamic world – the doctrine of hell is not quite as troubling as it is in the West.

GF In the lecture you connected universalism to Gnosticism. Do you see any link between Gnosticism and post modernity?
MM: The Gnostic worldview does not sharply separate humanity from God so it does tie in with the postmodern trend. For Gnostics the creature is just an alienated aspect of God’s won nature and ultimately everything that is separated must come together again, God cannot be separated from God and even Lucifer is like the prodigal son that is destined for salvation. It is a worldviews in which there cannot be any separation and there is no place for a doctrine of Hell. We may bring negative consequences on ourselves thorough our evil actions - somewhat like the doctrine of Karma - but there is no external imposition because we are not under God.

GH And with that you have an ontological union between God and creature and there’s not a lot of room for sin

GF The average person sitting in the pew who accepts the cultural mores and believes in self actualisation probably would not say they believe in God returning to God. Tease out the implications of how our suspicion of authority and belief in self actualisation has this underpinning Gnostic metaphysic.

MM It’s not obvious, but the message of post modern culture is ‘I am my own person; the captain of my own ship’. This is a deeply American message that interfaces with the Gnostic narrative. In the nineteenth century you have Ralph Waldo Emerson the transcendentalist with his famous essay on Self Reliance. Emerson proposed something like karma - what he called a doctrine of compensation – that evil has its own consequences. But Emerson had no scriptural notion of God – rather he spoke of the ‘Oversoul’ of which we are all part. We have to come back to the foundational principles of the purity and holiness of God. We have to come back to the Old Testament. If we start with the New Testament we are much more likely to shape the image of Jesus like a piece of play-dough to how we want tit.
If we start with the Old Testament we see that when sin was committed God prescribed that people had to perform sacrifices. So a poor innocent hapless lamb – the lamb that was bleating and then bleeding - had its throat slit . Why would the God of the Bible require this? The Universalists don’t; have a good answer. IF we start with the cross at the centre of our faith we see these sacrifices as pointing forward to the final sacrifice. The message of sacrifice is that sin is a very serious thing that brings consequences in its train. It doesn’t just hurt the one who is sinned against. Every act of sin is directly an offence against God.

G.H. Regarding the Gnostics, one of the first heresies tied into a lack of understanding about the Trinity. With Gnosticism you have a lack of understanding of sin and its consequences. With post modernity – like Gnosticism we have a rejection of sin. Once you start loosing the doctrine of sin, whether through Gnosticism or postmodernity, you are going to lose any understanding of the doctrine of Hell.

M.M. An insight from C.S. Lewis. Lewis pointed out that when Jesus came into a situation where he declared forgiveness of sin he could make that statement because he was speaking on God’s behalf and as God Incarnate. The implication is that when human begins sin against each other God is the chiefly offended party

G.H. Psalm 51 –‘against you and only you have I sinned’. It’s remarkable because at this point David has just killed a man and stolen his wife and probably killed a whole bunch of people.

M.M. We have to keep relaying these foundational doctrines to make any sense of the doctrine of Hell. Everything come together in the cross where we see God’s holy hatred of sin and his profound love for the sinner.
We haven’t talked much about human choice; but if you are a universalist you will have to say that everyone makes the same choice – a hard conclusion to come to when you look around and see people making different choices - or that you say choices don’t matter (like Richard Dawkins is going to be our brother in heaven along with those who believed in Christ)

If you look at Jesus and when people encountered him he was a fork in the road. As Kierkegaard said – ‘Any situation that can lead to faith can also lead to stumbling’. Jesus is either the stone of stumbling or the cornerstone. The theme runs all through the Gospels and I don’t this we can escape that.

by alecforbes » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 am

This is very interesting, Dick.
I’m going to quote McClymond here:

This is a fascinating and very “backward” perspective, I think. Paul the Apostle’s world was rocked by the revelation of Christ. And this earth-shattering event, the death and resurrection of Christ, made him look backwards and totally reinterpret many Old Testament passages (and even manipulate the meaning). If Paul is any example, the Old Testament must be understood in light of the New! (the term “old wineskins” comes to mind… :wink: )

by corpselight » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 am

Blimey, Dick…that must’ve been torture to listen to, let alone transcribe.

He’s clearly got the wrong end of the stick with Universalism. There may be flavours of it that resemble that, but i’ve not seen it here. It’s certainly not what Robin Parry describes in his book, which McClymond claims to have read i think?

I’m pretty sure he’s missing the mark with Postmodernism and Gnosticism too.

GF and GH are not presenting true arguments either.

This is still, IMO, the biggest strawman of the year so far. But the year is still young…we may get a worse one!

by Sobornost » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:54 am

Very good points Steve and James (and i wonder if it might not be worth putting the stuff on the discussions as opposed to the lecture on a separate thread (I should have thought of that :blush: )

Yes James -

I’m not sure that post-modernity can be ‘blamed’ for universalism – unless it is being used as a loose term of opprobrium (like Gnosticism is being used elsewhere). And I’m not sure that a rejection of ‘modernity’ lead people to embrace universalism.

What the 'postmodern’ means is a rather complex thing because it is used to describe how things have become different in our times with globalisation, the interetnet.etc (in terms that are both promising and threatening).

Gerald Hieston appears to be referring to Lyotard’s notion of the breakdown of meta- narratives in the post -modern world; this has been taken up largely by American Protestant Biblicist Christians as a term appropriate to describe what they see as the rejection of foundational fundamental Christianity (including Hell) as a part of consumer choice, pick and mix religion. Originally it concerns the broad break down of the ‘Enlightenment’ project which has elements of Protestantism in it -namely the right of the individual to interpret the Bible themselves.
And so this is a misappropriation I think. The meta-narratives of modernity (late nineteenth to late twentieth century) that Lyotard refers to include ‘Christianity’ in the broadest sense; however, they’d also include an unshakable belief in historical Progress, and a belief in science and technology as unquestionably good.

When I’ve read nineteenth century books in which Hell is challenged – especially from the historians of the Universalist Church of America – there is a clear meta -narrative of historical progress and the declining belief in hell in nineteenth century America is seen as part of this. Indeed I’m not sure that disbelief in hell is spiking now – if anything strong belief in hell has become a bigger feature of American evangelical Christianity whereas it was in decline as a cultural norm in the ‘modern’ period

Fundamentalism is often seen as postmodern by people who use the term in its original sense. They argue that it is a reaction against modernity rather than an attempt to hold on to traditional forms of the faith (true in Islam and Christianity and all new forms of strong religion across the world).

So I think that post modernity is begin used in a confusing way here. IT is a theme that runs throughout these discussion – that universalists celebrate ambiguity, that Robin Parry does exegetical somersaults with the biblical narrative etc – and this all dovetails into Boehme’s metalepsis or ‘transgressive derangement of the biblical narrative’.

If James and Dondi port the final three posts to here and delete on the other threads - then we are in business. :slight_smile:

more fair than he deserves, and certainly more fair than he is to us…or even to Gnostics!

It is right to question UR from the Bible, just as it is right to question Calvinism, Arminianism, E. Orthodox doctrine, Catholic doctrine, Protestant doctrine…in short, EVERYTHING ought to always be questioned and evaluated…or to put it another way, we should hold no human doctrinal explanation of God’s words as so important that we take it for granted as Eternal Truth. We should be humble enough to understand that we won’t grasp it all, and always seek to better our understanding in that humility as God teaches us. It’s a relationship with Him that’s important, not the doctrinal standing.
As to the cultural milieu, we live in a time where in the west at least, much of our foundational ways of thinking are shaped by Christian influences. Things like treating others as you want to be treated, that humans are important and not slaves or property, that women are no less valuable and capable than men, that racism is wrong, that we ought not to commit horrific acts against other humans, etc etc…Those are just some examples of how Christianity has informed society. We now have got to a place that threatens church membership where we realise a lot of absolutes are not absolutes…and retreating from that frightening truth into black and white theology is cowardly. There is nothing wooly about postmodernism taken to its logical conclusion. It’s not wooly so much as scary…many are frightened by the lack of black and white structure in the universe, but coming to terms with that can have similar consequences to becoming a Christian (taken to its LOVING extremes, and not just responding to an altar call). IE you realise that another person’s journey is important too, and that we can all learn from each other, and that we ought to love the person and not always judge them based on allegiance to ideas.
Of course there is a type of person that IS wooly about such things and uses it as an excuse not to seek real truth…but if they were in a church background, they might be just as lazy in regards to only listening to what the pastor says and not thinking for themselves. such a person won’t escape God’s judgement for their lack of caring, regardless of them being in a church or not. they are not a barometer for why certain doctrines appeal.
the cultural milieu i perceive is one where people are open to spiritual matters, or completely closed off to them because of poor representations…there is a lot of healthy “live and let live”, etc. Christianity can be uncomfortable because (properly expressed) it urges us to help each other out, and it does point out sin in all its ugliness. UR just refuses to be pessimistic about God’s ability to save us from ALL kinds of sin, no matter how ugly.
UR may appeal to a certain group of lazy people that don’t want to preach and just want everything to be ok with no effort from themselves…but they are in the vast minority. i would suggest that many of these same lazy people exist in ECT groups who are even worse for not evangelising because they ought to be more afraid of the consequences for their loved ones, and indeed the whole world. the contrary is true of most UR people, who appear to be passionate about spreading the GOOD NEWS. if anything, UR seems to make people LESS wooly and more excited about Christ.
it also seems to cause urges to begin digging into the Bible more and more for many people.

UR marginal…at the beginning, not so much. it may not have been a majority view, but it was held by some well-respected church fathers, who were ahead of their time. I believe it can historically be shown that certain theologians who opposed it were raised to prominence by people who culturally were geared to respond more to a religion with some good old fashioned eternal judgement in it. it was certainly more easy to control people when you set yourself up as head of the church and start persecuting anyone that disagrees. you also get to set doctrines, and it might seem wise to you to make sure the people feared God and thus you, his representative. No fingers pointing at Constantine, here at all.
in all that time, nobody listened to what Jesus said about fruit identifying the tree…so nobody noticed how rotten the tree became, until the reformers…who just uprooted that tree and planted an equally rotten one, as can be seen by how happy they became to persecute their opponents.
universalism ticked over in the background, something that would not be silenced. it led to death for some of its adherents, but continued to crop up…almost like God was protecting a remnant, and maybe NOW is the time when it becomes more visible in the public eye for the church to embrace UR again, as it did at the beginning.

so for me, what makes this appealing is we’ve lost a medieval view of the world in which cruelty was at worst a necessary evil, and at best was something fun to do to people you disagreed with. This can only be a sign of humanity gradually maturing.

"The doctrine of hell is interconnected with central Christian themes - What is the nature of God? "
John spells it out: God is Love, God is Light.
“What is the nature of Christ? What is the nature of human beings? Why did Jesus die on the cross.?”
Christ is the Son of God, who taught forgiveness for ones enemies: blessing and not cursing.
Human beings are made in the image of God. We fall, but God forgives.
Jesus died to save us from our sins. Jesus was lifted up to draw all men onto Him. By His stripes we are healed. I could go on, but surely MM can’t disagree with any of this? not if he stands by “plain reading”
“There is a reaction against the notion of God as authoritative”
God forbid. That’s a total misrepresentation. how could God be less than the chief authority of the universe? and yet Christ, His Son, says to the adulterous woman “Who is it who condemns you? Neither do i. Go and sin no more.”
“There is a notion of human nature as essentially good and not in need of punishment
Therefore it no longer makes any sense to think of anyone being punished eternally or separated from God.”

Humanity is complex. It’s obvious to anyone who’s seen anything of the world or history that we are broken, that we often glory in the most horrible things. it’s also clear that we have the capability to be immensely good. The badness in us needs to be punished, sure, but God it says disciplines those He loves. He might have to correct us, and that might be horrible, but i think there is ample Scriptural testimony that God seeks to discipline, not just Make Us Pay!!! ARRGGGH :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: etc. :wink:
As to eternal separation…NO that does not make sense. Especially if God disciplines those He loves. especially if Love Never Fails.
I could also point out, since they want to talk justice, that Love Keeps No Record of Wrongs.
they have, i contend, an infantile and utterly stupid understanding of justice. that the church has affirmed this worthless view of God’s ability to fix things is no vote of confidence, especially given the church’s track record. it lacks any of the nuance in understanding justice/mercy that the Bible teaches so very clearly.

I’ve already suggested that post modernism is actually a very healthy view of the vastness of the universe and truth which should humble us into realising our limits and how ill equipped we are to understand the vastness. if God is real, as post-modern Christians still affirm, then God of course is transcendent. that is kind of the point, Mr GH. if you don’t understand philosophy, don’t bring it up.

GF and MM, from my understanding, the material universe is not divorced from the REAL God, but taken pity on by Him. so that whole unity->diversity->unity model doesn’t seem to fit…at least it doesn’t fit ALL forms of Gnosticism…maybe the one you’ve arbitrarily picked, because it fits your incorrect view of Universalism.

Universalism says along with all Christians that God created the universe. How He did it is something we can debate without worrying about eschatology. there is no more unity->diversity->unity in it then in any Christian teaching…
the model seems to me to be God->creation of other beings->fall of other beings->salvation established by God->reconciliation of other beings to God and return to pre-fall state for both, with added experience and maturity in the other beings the only difference being the scope of that reconciliation at the end. that is the ONLY difference for most Christian Universalists. We differ on other stuff, but so do many ECT/Annihilationist Christians.
i don’t see any validity for this model as a description of what most UR proponents believe.

Another Freudian there, Dick :wink:
GH - as i’ve said above, you’re wrong here. WRONG WRONG WRONG. get a clue before you try contributing to the conversation, please.
GF, this is true…the tenuous connection you refer to is so tenuous it doesn’t exist.

MM, i believe Shakespeare made that comment about being the captain of your own ship. Americans didn’t come up with everything.
what other message are you going to get from the Bible when the Master gives his servants talents and requires that they choose wise ways to use them? and get upset when they just refuse and bury it? God gives us choice, and requires good choices of us. maybe that conflicts with your reformed determinism, but then…maybe UR coming along is part of God’s master plan, and you should maybe stop worrying and just go fishing instead? maybe God intended UR to become “popular” now because either it’s true, or He’ll get more glory from refuting it. He’ll have to do that because you’re pretty rubbish at it so far.
i really don’t see how individualism has anything to do with Gnosticism as a consequence. they appear unrelated to me, except that the person with Gnosis can think highly of themselves…like a Calvinist can for being elect.
repulsive ideas, both.
if we’re going to compare UR to New Age by using buzzwords like Karma then explain why Christ’s words that we reap what we sow sound so similar to the idea of Karma?
sacrificial lambs.
we do have an answer…or at least Girardians (who are not all Universalist) do. God wanted to show us what scapegoating is. the ugly death of the helpless innocent. He wanted to blow the lid off that and show us our sin: that we prey on the weak. there are likely other explanations, too, even from literalist universalists.

Given that the Trinity wasn’t formulated as a doctrine right after the Apostles finished writing, and for some time after, it seems hard to accept that that was a key heresy. My understanding from Biblical attacks on the Gnosticism in the Apostles’ day is that it’s trying to make out that the flesh is evil, or that we’re saved by special secret knowledge. there were many schools of Gnosticism, though…but i doubt the Trinity was the issue for most of them. i don’t believe we have enough information to know for sure, however, so GH is making a fairly concrete statement here, and i may be wrong, but i think he has no evidence.

MM’s quote of CS Lewis here has no bearing on anything…God being the chiefly offended party gives Him the right to forgive everything…and if He didn’t, He’d be acting against His own instructions to us.

GH…yes it IS remarkable that David would write that, when his sin was in murdering a loyal man for his wife.
i take issue with David here. isn’t it a bit of a wooly view of sin to say that any sin is against God? because if so, we can just go do something horrible and then get down on our knees and say “oh, sorry God!” and ignore all the other stuff we ought to do to fix things.

The cross is paramount and pivotal
we see God’s holy hatred of sin and profound love for the sinner - agreed.

choice is odd to mention if you’re a reformed fanboy, but assuming he is not, saying we assume everyone makes the same choice…
it’s the choice between life and death. choosing death is irrational…
meh, can’t be bothered…we’ve debated this too often on the forum, but i’ll just leave that there.

Actually, as to the slitting of the lamb’s throat, it strikes me that the same point MM thinks is important would be re-affirmed by PSA believing Universalists. if God requires blood, then God requires blood. Jesus provided the blood for everyone…it just becomes a case of scope (how many sinners does the blood pay for) yet again.

Whew! I can barely force myself to read this let alone transcribe it, Dick! :open_mouth: Yes, I agree with James that this must’ve been painful indeed. Go and make yourself a nice cuppa tea and take a breather-- You done good! :smiley:

You might find it affirming in a back-handed kind of way. Their arguments are really poor, but they are a good backdrop for getting real information and thinking things through in ways that confirm what we believe.
if this is the best ECT people can come up with, well…then we are in great danger of becoming smug and proud! so the real challenge here is to not get too angry and take it as a set of questions that are helpful to answer, and remember that they’re our siblings in Christ, even if they get things exasperatingly wrong and have arguably picked the wrong target.
Dick’s doing a great job of reminding me of this…trying to be fair and loving to them as people with academic credentials, but obviously attacking the mistakes.

Hi James –

Thanks and that’s a very stimulating post above :smiley: .

I wondered what GH was talking about here – but the penny has just dropped. He must be referring to Arius and his lack of understanding of the

The Arians showed a lack of understanding of the nature of God.
Gnosticism showed a lack of understanding of sin and its consequences
Postmodermity shows a lack of understanding of sin and it’s consequences

All three are heresies therefore heresy is due to a lack of understanding (of the biblical data)
Or perhaps the first two were heresies as defined by the early Church, and post-modernity in one definition shows an affinity with the second heresy of the two, Therefore post modernity is also a heresy… :confused: :confused:

He was speaking off the cuff and the thinking is a bit muddled here. I’m certainly getting muddled trying to unpick it. And yes the terms Gnosticism, and post modernity are being used to describe something which is not actually meant by either of these words. Which is confusing too.

I’m not sure where this quotation comes from in C.S. Lewis – but as with Bonhoeffer I’m amazed at seeing C.S. Lewis quoted twice in these discussions; given his high regard for George MacDonald and Charles Williams (who was not a Boehmenist but was certainly a Christian hermeticist) and his non-dogmatic views on atonement theory. Somehow all is forgiven with Jack Lewis because he was not a universalists as such, but the mud has to be made to stick to George MacDonald. And again we have the universalist Kierkegaard quoted at the end of this discussion (btw Charles Williams was a big influence on bringing Kierkegaard to the attention of English speaking audiences)

I have heard this argument about Jesus being allowed to forgive sin because he was God but the same is not true of us applied by Rushdooney and very extreme Calvinists to the idea that we should bring back the death penalty for adultery (and indeed for all of the other offences deemed worthy of death in the Mosaic Law). By lifting a small proof text out from a single Psalm other very key teachings of Jesus and the Great Prophets disappear – ‘Be merciful as your heavenly father is merciful’ ‘I desire mercy rather than sacrifice’ etc

I expect they don’t know CS Lewis was a fan of Williamson if that’s true, and it seems unlikely they know that Kierkegard was a Universalist…that’s actually hilarious :laughing:

Postmodernity can’t be a heresy, given that a number of ideas taught in the Bible seem to dovetail with it nicely.
Gnosticism as best we know seems to contain a number of problems…at least problems if you believe the Bible. Obviously Gnostics must take it with a grain of salt, and clearly don’t consider themselves a heresy.
I’m sure the Arians did their best with a complex topic…we don’t have to burn them at the stake for it.

honestly, this whole heresy thing…it’s so exciting and dramatic, but ultimately is just a way to affirm being judgmental against another group rather than try to find ways to dialogue with them and foster mutual understanding where possible.

saying that, Calvinism is clearly heretical :wink: (that is a joke, btw…Calvinistic Universalism isn’t bad, and i respect Calvinists for wanting to do justice to God’s sovereignty)

Of course its’ true that C.S. Lewis was a friend and admirer of Charles Williams. Would I lie to you James :laughing: Williams had been a member of the Hermetic order of the Rosy Cross. He was no longer a member of this organisation when he joined the Inklings (and when C.S. Lewis secured him a post as a post mural lecturer at oxford during the war) but his thinking was still heavily influenced by hermetic thinking about universal spiritual laws (and these are found expressed in his novels. His ‘laws’ in brief were -

C.S Lewis loved Charles Williams novels - although he thought him an undisciplined writer. Lewis ‘That Hideous Strength’ was directly inspired by Williams. Indeed Aslan in the Narnia books is inspired by William’s Platonic Lion in ‘The Place of the Lion’.

I’ve tried to read two of William’s novels but both times I’ve given up because he doesn’t make me sufficiently interested in his characters with their silly names (like Damaris Tighe) to care about them and keep on reading about them. But other people - and other Christians too - get something from him.

Re: Michael McClymond on Universalism

Postby Dondi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Yet I would say that all sin is ultimately accountable to God. “Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.”

At the same time, I don’t see how we can get away with not seeking forgiveness from those we offended nor not forgiving others. It is plain that that is essential to Christian living amongst our brothers and sisters in Christ, yea, even our enemies. And this is one thing, BTW, that has shifted my views as a Universalist as opposed to the fundamentalist doctrines I was brought up, that is the idea that when we all get to heaven, all will be honky dory, no need to forgive anymore since we will be glorified and no longer needing to forgive the past. I just don’t see how heaven will just “poof” all the bad and hurt away. I can’t see that there wouldn’t be a time for healing (i.e. healing of the nations) and reconciliation between ourselves and other whom we offended or who offended us.

But isn’t the rejection of hell extended well past Christian circles as something medieval and out of date. I think society as a whole in the post-modern world leans more to scientific explanations for the basis of reality, rather than reliance on ancient texts. And so even in non-Christian beliefs, the notion of hell has diminished. To say that hell is disappearing is as the result of what they call the rejection of foundational Christianity (i.e., universalism) doesn’t seem to square right with me.

We live in a world of diversity, to be sure. There are some 41,000 different Christian denominations in the world today. And in America, religious diversity is gaining an ever widening acceptance as it shifts from a primarily Christian nation (still about 76% claim Christian affiliation) toward other accepted faiths. Currently in the US, there is 1 in 10 people who don’t identify with any religious affliliation, whereas almost all Americans in the 1950s identified themselves with a particular religion. Of atheists, 55% are under 35, while only 30% are 50 and older.

What we are experiencing is a secularzation of America, what the bible calls apostacy, and it is not something that is driven by a given set of beliefs, but by an unwillingness to believe in anything. It is a plague that cuts across all Christian circles. It is a decline that most certainly will get worse as generations turn over. It is amazing to me just how little the younger generation knows about the Bible, even fundamental things like who is Adam and Eve. Or who Christ is. It’s not for a lack of access to materials. The Bible is freely available to anyone with a smart phone.

What is a bigger rage for atheists than the idea of Hell and a God that would sent someone there? Perhaps the rise of Universalism stems from a desire for a palatable alternative, based on the principle of a rational, just, and loving God. How many on this board alone would say that they would have abandaned Christianity altogether if it were not for Universalism? Or how=many perhaops came back from atheism/agnosticism because of the Greater Hope?

Sobornost » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi Dondi :slight_smile:

I guess what our Calvinist friends would argue is that the rejection of Hell is the result of secular culture’s destructive influence on Christian foundational beliefs. And if people find Universalist ‘Christianity’ palatable but reject genuine ECT Christianity that is because they are in rebellion against God and colluding in a watering down of Christian beliefs that is effectively promoting atheism.

In reply to this I guess we need to counter with evidence that belief in ECT is not actually a foundational and necessary Christian belief by showing as Jason has done and that universalism was by in no way simply a marginal and heretical moment in early Christianity (as you’ve suggested).

We may also wish to challenge the assumption in this dialogue and the others that penal substitution is the only orthodox view of the atonement and was held by the ancient Church. And the corollary of PS the idea that God is the infinitely offended party at our sins against each other - is something we might like to challenge to (and I wonder how to make sense of this in terms of initiatives for truth and reconciliation in the world?)

We may also wish to challenge the assumption n that the total depravity of human beings is the universal orthodox teaching of the Church. There are other positions between asserting that human beings are basically evil and asserting that human beings are basically good that Christians have taken historically and within a framework of orthodoxy.

Also perhaps we need to question the assumption that everything about human culture – especially in the present times is irrevocably evil. (Well the only positive example of human culture given in one of the dialogues is Mel Gibson’s The Patriot - and with this I’d take issue). Bonheoffer who Dr McClymond is fond of quoting out of context certainly didn’t think this. Is the rejection of wanton cruelty as somehow virtuous a bad thing in itself? Is it such a bad thing that people today are horrified by Tertullian and Jonathan Edwards indulging in their ‘abominable fancy’ for example? (and would probably be perplexed by ideas of limited atonement and double predestination that are presumably held by the dialogue partners here).

That’s all I can think at the moment :confused: