The Evangelical Universalist Forum

More To It Than Love

Good to know

Steve,

First, let me apologize for my pointed sarcasm. It was uncalled for and hurtful. Please forgive me. If you wish to end discussion with me, I understand, just let me know and I will make this my last post. Otherwise, I would like to show why I reject double predestination.

I said earlier that the term double predestination carries baggage with it, and thus I will not concede the term.

One of the problems with double predestination is the common association with “equal ultimacy.” Many Calvinists shy away from the term double predestination as well for this reason. Equal ultimacy is the belief that God is as active in bringing about the damnation of the reprobate as he is in securing the salvation of the elect. Equal utimacy is taught by A.W. Pink in his book, The Sovereignty of God, in the chapter “The Sovereignty of God in Reprobation.” Pink teaches that God actively hardens the reprobate sinner in order to glorify himself in pouring out wrath on the reprobate. He teaches that God created them for that purpose. The Banner of Truth (a Calvinist organization) published an edition of Pink’s book in which they totally removed Pink’s entire chapter on reprobation.

There are Calvinists who affirm double predestination, that are led to qualify what they mean by the term because of the muddy waters of equal ultimacy. R.C. Sproul is an example. In this article concerning double predestination, Sproul qualifies his view by saying:

Second, I reject double predestination, as it is defined by Calvin in his Institutes as he says…

In that Calvin says that predestination is unto eternal damnation for some, and that this is the ultimate (eternal) end to which they are predestined, as a universalist, I reject.

Thanks,

Dan.

Thank you Dan. I have no intention to cause you grief or create a wedge either, so if it seems that this is my intention, it is not, and I apologize if I left you with this impression.

This distinction of “equal ultimacy” is not essential in the double-predestination doctrine. In its simplest form:

There are two separate destinies which are predestined by God, neither are determined by man’s free-will. These destinies are fixed according to the principals of predestination, and they are bound due to some receiving grace to desire intimacy with God, and others have not received grace to desire God. This is because there is no such thing as free-will, people do not choose their fate, God does.

Although the results for Calvinists are different - the path of Calvin leads to eternal punishment in hell - the mechanism is exactly the same for those universalists who reject free-will; that is, double-predestination. For universalists, in this model, the process is exactly the same as for Calvinists, only the the outcome is less severe… everyone is eventually reconciled, but the process of double-predestination is the same.

Yes, I understand. As Calvin’s “predestination is unto eternal damnation for some”, you have removed the part dealing with “eternal damnation”. Everything else looks identical (to me). As I have said to Michael, I don’t have an issue with this. If this is what you believe - fine! No problem.

Steve

Michael,

Thanks. I don’t have to ask atheists! Let me put it another way. How is it that so often one finds friends who are atheists and yet are very much aware of those needs and indeed are as good as any good Christian. Believe in God or not, God is within every living person, and the only answer I can find is , God’s love is so strong that the good works of atheists are in some mysterious way a response to God within their hearts. I may be wrong when I say to my brother, who is an atheist, “You do not believe in God! No matter! God believes in you!”
This is my personal view.
Anyone out there who can provide biblical support on this??

Michael in Barcelona

I’ve never met an atheist like that. Moreover, the Bible says all have sinned. Atheists who die atheists will be purified in the Lake Fire. It’s not as bad for some as it is others.