The Evangelical Universalist Forum

My Favorite Study Bibles

Checking out the Orthodox :slight_smile: – totally not into the Reformed. :frowning: (Though I do believe the church of this age ARE the elect, I believe we are the elect for the sake of those who have yet to know Jesus – not instead of them. :slight_smile: )

I was a little dismayed to see that the Orthodox Study bible uses the KJV for the NT. Disclaimer: nothing wrong with KJV if that works for you, ok? :smiley:

Dave,

Mine says New King James.

Oops, my bad. Still, I would like, just for the heck of it, something more literal but still readable. Just my $.02. The new KJV is a good-reading bible.

Dave,

My favorite translation:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xhi0w2QgL.jpg

Whoa - I’ve never heard of that one, either. I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

I like Rotherham, but don’t bother taking it to a “normal” Bible study. :laughing: One friend calls mine the “Yoda version.” If you get it, Dave, get a hard copy. Quite a lot of the translation depends on the way the words are actually placed on the page. Plus, the electronic versions miss out on quite a lot of the text formatting, which is also important. I bought mine from a used bookshop at Amazon and got a decent price – don’t remember how much exactly.

I looked up the Orthodox one too, and yeah I was disappointed by the use of NKJV. Also, the Orthodox reviewer orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/review_osb2.aspx didn’t think much of it. :frowning:

This is one of the bibles I use. We have about 4 or 5 copies… my wife and kids.

Here is another one I use regularly.