The Evangelical Universalist Forum

My personal escape from hell

Well, Mark, far be it for me to answer any questions from a pastor, schooled in theology, but since you ask:

I think it always wise to read a verse within its entire context. David, a man after God’s heart, a firm believer in Israel’s God is in trouble. He needs help from God, he needs re-assurance, acknowledging that God is great and does wondrous things (verse 10). Isn’t that true of us when we are in difficulties? We can get down, from our own sinfulness or from situations not of our own making. That can make us feel low, even depressed, almost as if we are in hell. God promises to save us from whatever miseries that befall us. Look at the experience of Paul and Silas in a Philippian jail cell.

But, and I may be taking it out of context, look at verse 9 of this Psalm. That is wonderful news: “All nations whom Thou hast made shall come and worship before Thee, O Lord, and shall glorify Thy name”. Compare that verse with Phil. 2:10-11.

I thought folks might enjoy, the Eastern Orthodox / Eastern Catholic perspective on hell. As well as that of Anglican bishop and New Testament scholar, N.T. Wright.

Thanks for sharing your testimony, Mark. I really enjoyed reading your story and I commend you on your courage, honesty and willingness to hear the Holy Spirit’s voice. Isn’t. It a wonderful relief to realize that GGod truly is love, and that His love is as described in 1 Cor 13 and in the Sermon on the Mount? I look forward to your sharing here your journey as you settle into this new and infinitely joyous message. Congratulations on coming out of the darkness and into the light of God’s love.

1 Like

Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven. Matt 18:10

He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”
24 Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and he went to her and made love to her. She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon. The Lord loved him; 25 and because the Lord loved him, he sent word through Nathan the prophet to name him Jedidiah.
2 Sam 12:22-24

But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 2 Cor 11:3