The Evangelical Universalist Forum

New film : Noah

Glad you’re enjoying it, Nightrevan! :smiley: His approach to scripture has helped me tremendously and his blog is informative and entertaining (I think). He’s got a good sense of humor, it seems. :wink:

How cool, Grant! It’s so interesting to see how the story of Christ can make sense within any time and place in political or cultural history. Call me a hippy or something, but I think the ability to touch so many people so uniquely speaks to the Gospel’s divinity. :smiley: Plus, I do not mind listening to a film in Xhorsa at all-- I think languages are best appreciated for their quality when I can’t understand them. :laughing:

Interestingly I’m told it shows demons being redeemed because nothing is irredeemable…

Seems to be generating a lot of heated debate! e.g. According Brian the movie is based on Kabbalah (mystical Jewish stuff, a bit like Gnosticism), which explains why it’s confusing in parts patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/2 … -fast.html , and then Brian responds saying he’s still right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0d9g3Ydsew :confused:

At very least it’s thought provoking & creating interest in the story/themes of Noah!

I thought it might be a belated April Fool joke, but apparently it’s true, Russell Crowe has met with the Archbishop of Canterbury, to “discuss faith and spirituality” as tweeted by Lambeth Palace.

Apparently, Matt, Justin Welby told RC he was brilliant in Gladiator, but A Beautiful Mind was a stinker.

:wink:

Cheers

Johnny

Well, I saw the movie. It is absolutely the most Unbiblical Biblical movie I’ve ever seen or could imagine. It’s much more than just taking literary liscense to flesh out a very very short, skeletal story in scripture, it changes many of the few elements, twisting and breaking the bones of the story. The first thing noteworthy is the first text of the movie which says something like, “In the beginning there was nothing.” And then it presents a pictoral slide of evolution, with angels falling from heaven rebelling against God because they wanted to help man and then becoming encased in rock becoming rock monsters who later help Noah build the ark. And the crazyness just goes on and on. Noah ultimately becomes convinced that the plan was to save the animals, the “innocent”, and destroy all of humanity including himself and his family, leading to him almost killing his granddaughters. It was the strangest movie I’ve ever seen. It even seems to me that “god” was presented as being the snake in Eden though that was unclear in the movie. It was just a weird movie one I wouldn’t encourage anyone to waste money to see. Maybe watch it on dvd, but anything more is a waste of money. And it’s too rediculous to be upset over!

You know, the more and more I read about this movie, the more I think I’d probably like it, even if a lot of folks hate it :laughing:

This is a really good article about Noah that peeks my interest in the film even more:

finkorswim.com/2014/03/31/movie- … retelling/

I think I’m going to have to see Noah as well at some point, Matt. To be honest, though, I think I’m going to see Wes Anderson’s *The Grand Budapest Hotel *this weekend. I love Wes Anderson’s films (and, yes, I’m a bit weird—Bottle Rocket is a classic in my opinion). :laughing:

The most helpful review I’ve come across is creekroad.org.au/13-things-t … bout-noah/

I paid to see Noah twice. I can’t remember the last time I did that. I found the movie intriguing, thought-provoking, and edifying. It’s one of those movies that gets better the more you mull it over. I noticed things the second time I saw it that I missed the first time. The film is thoughtful and many-layered. One can tell that Aronofsky reached deep within himself to make this movie. It is not shallow, blockbuster schlock. I hesitate to go into too many details here, lest I spoil the movie for any one.

I re-read the Noah narrative in Genesis after seeing the film, and I did not notice even a single thing in the movie that contradicts the scriptural text. Certainly, a great deal has been added, but nothing contradicted. (This of course was necessary. If nothing had been added, then none of the characters could have had any lines, and few besides Noah could even have a name.) Even more so, the movie gives unusual interpretations at times, but again these are not contradictions of the text. Instead, they are contradictions only of the usual assumptions made in re-tellings of the Noah story in children’s books. For example, consider the movie’s hyper-literal interpretation of the text “There were giants IN THE EARTH in those days.” Not merely living on the earth, but literally “in the earth”.

A tripping point for many seems to be Noah’s actions on board the ark after the Flood has wiped-out sinful humanity. Please note: God gave visions to Noah twice and only twice in the movie, and both merely told him to build an ark for his family and for the animals. Neither vision implied human extinction. That was Noah’s (and only Noah’s) idea. The scene of Noah on his knees in the rain demanding an answer from the silent heavens parallels the scene with the wicked Tubal-cain in the rain demanding an answer from the silent heavens. Noah’s sinful intentions and mistaken notions were NOT revelations from God. They result from Noah taking his eyes off of God and focusing instead on human sinfulness.

The movie was a beautiful story of redemption and forgiveness (even for fallen angels). Aronofsky’s deft handling of wives for Ham and Japheth is sublime. Indeed, God provides all that is needed.

Thanks for your thoughts, Geoffrey :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m thinking I’ll probably see it eventually, when it comes out on DVD. I’ve enjoyed (well, enjoyed may not be the right word, as Aronofsky’s movies tend to be pretty raw and intense) a couple of Aronofsky’s other movies, like Pi (Pi was a little weird I admit, but it was well done), Requiem For A Dream, and The Wrestler, and I’m also planning on checking out his movie The Fountain at some point, which I never got around to seeing and would like to see (Black Swan doesn’t really look like my kind of thing, but I may check it out at some point).

People have different tastes in movies just like they have different tastes in food.

Someone may watch Noah and see genius, another may watch it and see crap. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, as it were.

You’ve got people who really loathe Citizen Kane (which I’ve actually seen… technically well-made, but kind of boring… ‘rosebud’ :wink:), which most film scholars say is the greatest film ever made, then you got people who really love Plan 9 From Outer Space (which I’ve also seen… terrible, but hilarious :wink:), which most film scholars will say is the worst movie ever made.

It’s all a matter of perspective. :slight_smile:

And, thinking about my own tastes as far as movies go, I’ll probably like Noah, I imagine, even if a lot of folks would like it to go crawl into a corner somewhere and die. :laughing:

And thank you for posting the “Noah: A Very Jewish Retelling” review. After reading that, I managed to find this wealth of Jewish reflections on the movie:

patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/2 … -noah.html

In a nutshell, Aronofsky and Handel read everything there is to read about Noah (diving deep especially into Midrash), and they were explicit in making sure that their movie did not contradict the biblical text.

I just saw this movie and loved it. Right on with everything you said Geoffrey. The movie, I believe, is about Noah’s inner journey to understand the will of God, to side with his “just” interpretation or his “loving” and “merciful” one. It also really hits on themes of personal freedom and the irrevocable impact choices have on God’s creation.

2 thumbs up!