The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Ok, so... what does Evangelical Universalism mean?

What separates Evangelical Universalism from other Christian denominations (or doctrines)? Does Evangelical Universalism mean that nobody goes to hell and everyone will be saved, but in different stages according to the number of sins they’ve committed? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Is Evangelical Universalism accepted by the mainstream Christian denominations?

What separates Evangelical Universalism from other Christian denominations (or doctrines)?

I would say it’s a particular theological doctrine…that had it’s roots, in church fathers like Origen. Most others would embrace, some particular doctrine of eternal hell or annihilation.

Evangelical Universalism mean that nobody goes to hell and everyone will be saved, but in different stages according to the number of sins they’ve committed?

Many who embrace it (I’m a hopeful universalist, by the way)…look at some form of purification. Although there are views here - like Pantelism - that has a radically different take on things.

Is Evangelical Universalism accepted by the mainstream Christian denominations?

No, not really. But there are a few scattered churches (althought smalll), that embrace it.

I’ll let others chime in, with additional commentary.

1 Like

Before we can discuss what evangelical universalism is, t seems to me we need to define what evangelical means. On a few of the other topics I have encountered individuals who are posting ideas which (it seems to me) cannot be construed as evangelical. One response I got to challenging such posts fior their “evangelicalism” was that the word means different things to different people. Anyway I’d be interested to know if this forum has an official position on what it is, or at least some guidelines to state what it isn.t

Here’s how I wold define it.

An evangelicam subscribes to the five solas of the protestant reformation

. Sola scripture - The Bible alone and in its entirety is the word of God. Our only rule to determine faith ad practice. As such it is inerrant and infallable.

Sola fide - Salvation comes only by faith in Jesus Christ

Sola gratia - Salvation is by grace alone apart from works.

Sola Christi - Salvation is to be obtained through Jesus Christ alone.

Sola dei gloria - to the glory of God alone

Also evangelicalism should include a zeal for evangelism

Some people add eschatological views to this but I feel that is a partition accretion.

Anyway thoughts?

For me, it means the following:
Evangelicals believe in the centrality of conversion in receiving salvation, in the authority of the Bible as God’s revelation to humanity, and in spreading the Christian message.

1 Like

I will go with Pilgrim, but would add some of the things mentioned in Wikipedia under the entry for “Evangelicalism”:

Evangelicalism (/ˌiːvænˈdʒɛlɪkəlɪzəm, ˌɛvæn-, -ən/), evangelical Christianity, or evangelical Protestantism,[note 1] is a worldwide, trans-denominational movement within Protestant Christianity which maintains the belief that the essence of the Gospel consists of the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ’s atonement.[1][2][3] Evangelicals believe in the centrality of the conversion or “born again” experience in receiving salvation, in the authority of the Bible as God’s revelation to humanity, and in spreading the Christian message.

…Biblicism is reverence for the Bible and high regard for biblical authority. All evangelicals believe in biblical inspiration, though they disagree over how this inspiration should be defined. Many evangelicals believe in biblical inerrancy, while other evangelicals believe in biblical infallibility.

But regarding the proper interpretation of the Scriptures, it is the Spirit who leads us into all truth:

“When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth….” John 16:13.

Regarding the Scriptures, they can only be properly interpreted by the Holy Spirit; if by mere human intellect, there will be disastrous results:

“He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant–not of the letter but of the Spirit; FOR THE LETTER KILLS, but the Spirit gives life.” 2 Corinthians 3:6.

1 Like

Let’s see what the site - Got Questions - has to say regarding Evangelical.

Answer: To begin, let’s break down the two words. The term Christian essentially means “follower of Christ.” Christian is the term given to followers of Jesus Christ in the first century A.D. (Acts 11:26). The term evangelical comes from the Greek word that means “good news.” Evangelism is sharing the good news of the salvation that is available through Jesus Christ. An evangelical, then, is a person dedicated to promoting the good news about Jesus Christ. Combined, the description “evangelical Christian” is intended to indicate a believer in Jesus Christ who is faithful in sharing and promoting the good news.

In Western culture today, there are many caricatures of evangelical Christians. For some, the term evangelical Christian is equivalent to “right-wing, fundamentalist Republican.” For others, “evangelical Christian” is a title used to differentiate an individual from a Catholic Christian or an Orthodox Christian. Others use the term to indicate adherence to the fundamental doctrines of Christianity. In this sense, an evangelical Christian is a believer who holds to the inspiration, inerrancy, and authority of Scripture, the Trinity, the deity of Christ, and salvation by grace through faith alone. However, none of these definitions are inherent in the description “evangelical Christian.”

In reality, all Christians should be evangelical Christians. The Bible is consistently instructing us to be witnesses of the good news (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 16:1-4; 1 Peter 3:15). There is no better news than Jesus! There is no higher calling than evangelist. There is no doubt that holding to the fundamentals of the Bible will result in a certain worldview and, yes, political belief. However, there is nothing about being an evangelical that demands a certain political party or affiliation. An evangelical Christian is called to share the good news, to preach God’s Word, and to set an example of purity and integrity. If these callings require political action, so be it. At the same time, evangelical Christians should not be sidetracked into abandoning our highest calling—sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.

So, if we take the original Greek. Anyone who is a follower of Christ and shares the good news with others…is an Evangelical Christian, in the original sense.

I happen to agree with that.
Reading statements of faith, or creeds, that BEGIN with the ‘trinity’ and then move down the list to faith and salvation - seems like a very strange maneuver. As if God is defined by the verbiage of 4th century, often politically motivated church councils. Whether you choose to believe in those councils is up to you, but making their pronouncements on the ‘trinity’ the first measure of what it means to be a Christian, is just ill-advised imo.

But the original sense takes for granted that there is a hell to be saved from, the good news in the gospels as told by the evangelicals is to repent and you may avoid a hell that will churn and burn you. I take universalism to mean that God is a God that not only created you but understood who and what you are. AND He knows your ways because HE FREAKING CREATED YOU.

I did yell there.

I am so absolutely frustrated by those on this and other sites who want to somehow want God to be sovereign, and yet will take that notion and think that our conduct will somehow sway God’s sovereignty…

Oh well. Peace.

I reject those who try to limit God’s sovereignty by disallowing Him the right to create humans with a degree of free-will or the right to work synergistic-ally with those He made in His image.

Agreed! I love this quote:

“God sovereignly decreed that man should be free to exercise moral choice, and man from the beginning has fulfilled that decree by making his choice between good and evil. When he chooses to do evil, he does not thereby countervail the sovereign will of God but fulfills it, inasmuch as the eternal decree decided not which choice the man should make but that he should be free to make it. If in His absolute freedom God has willed to give man limited freedom, who is there to stay His hand or say, ‘What doest thou?’ Man’s will is free because God is sovereign. A God less than sovereign could not bestow moral freedom upon His creatures. He would be afraid to do so.” ― A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy

To the OP for me it is HOPE and LOVE. For loved ones, for friends, for random people I meet on the street. I grew up in a Christian family but only came to the Lord in the last few months. I simply do not understand the lack of love the main church and majority of Christians have to others, esp. unbelievers. I have yet to meet one who would give, not only his physical life, but next life for a stranger. Worst of all in my books are Calvinists… no wonder when one searches Google “why are Calvinists…” the results suggested are: such jerks, so judgmental, so militant, mean, reformed arrogance. The very fruits of the Spirit (not…)

Just because something is popular does not mean it is right… Romans 3:4 “Even if everyone else is a liar, God is true.”

I would recommend reading the Restitution of All Things by Andrew Jukes (1815-1901). I’m still learning but have found it very helpful.
http://alampthatburns.net/jukes/restitution/restitutionofallthings.htm