The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Original Sin - Time to break to taboo and have a chat

I’m not quite sure where ‘Original Sin’ fits in with the ‘ologies’: is it a matter of protology or soteriology? Anyway it seems to not have a thread of its own although it has already been discussed in other soteriology threads. Bird raised it in the PS thread and, because I wanted to get off the PS thread and get on with something else, I clarified something about ST Augustine’s view in her introduction. Well my posting it on an Introduction thread meant that a discussion started on here thread between Jason and I, cluttering it up for her.
JeffA has suggested someone starts a proper post about it so that we can get the gloves off and talk about it in the open, challenging each other’s view if necessary (in friendship). Jeff is either Welsh or lives in Wales - whatever way, the Welsh are far more direct than polite Englishmen like me (and historically have reasons to be suspicious of polite Englishmen who have managed to do some pretty horrible things to them down the years;) )
So what do you think of Original Sin? - the difference between the Eastern and the Western views, how these affect ideas of atonement and salvation etc.

There has already been good discussion of this on Bird’s thread - (Thanks for the hospitality Bird :wink: ) and also at the end of the PS thread as its stands. Far be it from me to cut and paste ideas/thoughts form elsewhere - but if anyone is up for it I guess it’s OK for them to plonk ideas expressed elsewhere here). It’s a hot topic

Yours politely and with Quaker reserve :laughing:

Dick

I’d better write something to kick off (based on what I’ve already written elsewhere)_
The doctrine of Original Sin seems to be there in the Bible – but the Eastern Church share the same Bible but do not share this doctrine with the Western Church (which is curious). And the Latin fathers prior to Augustine do not expound the doctrine in the same relentless form found in Augustine.

In St Pauls’ Letter o the Romans’, Paul says: ‘Therefore, as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned.’ Augustine translated this phrase: ‘in whom all men sinned” And using a faulty Latin translation which left out the word ‘death’ translated as follows: Through one man sin entered into the world and through sin, death, and thus spread to all men, in whom all have sinned.’ (Contra Julianum – that is Julian of Ecclanum – and not Julian of Norwich).

So this is, arguably, where the doctrine of Original Sin comes from – we are born sinners and ‘creatures of God’s wrath’ because we carry the sin of Adam in us from the first. By way of contrast the Eastern tradition of ‘ancestral sin’ – as summarised by the hopeful universalist Timothy Ware - has it that:

The doctrine of ancestral sin means that we were born into an environment where it is easy to do evil and hard to do good, easy to hurt others and hard to heal their wounds; easy to arouse man’s suspicions, and hard to win their trust. It means that we are each of us conditioned by the solidarity of the human race in its accumulated wrong-doing and wrong-thinking, and hence wrong being…"

But that’s not the same thing as original sin. All of what Ware says is true but we are still bearers of the image of God ni this view – and children come into the world as blessings.

Augustine has had an enormous influence on Western Christianity – his doctrine of Original Sin has informed Penal substitution views of atonement (although this is a later development) and ECT (he was responsible for the horrible idea that unbaptised infants go to hell, an idea that had to wait for Aquinas to be mitigated to the idea of Limbo (recently abolished by the current Pope along with the doctrine of the damnation of infants)

Part of the Eastern view of sin is that it is a sickness to be struggled against and cured rather than an act of rebellion that needs to be punished. I’ve read that for this reason in the Eastern Church, people who were thought to be ‘demon possessed were treated with kindness and gentleness, as opposed to in the West in which they were often subjected to cruel ritual, punishment and imprisonment.

I’ve not thought through the Eastern view in detail – although I’m sure it’s pretty similar to my own view. Of course the Eastern view also entails ideas of punishment for sin – remedial retributive punishment for the minority but allowed Universalist tradition and pure retributive punishment for the majority tradition. And I need some help on this one - because I’m not sure how it fits the idea of sin as sickness in need of healing.

So any thoughts on Original Sins and the context of the development of the doctrine are appreciated. I’ve got a couple of other posts I can think of – one about Augustine and the Introspective Conscience and another in praise of bits of Augustine (because I don’t think he was totally bad and wouldn’t want to see him as a scapegoat). BUT will await and see how the discussion develops.

All the best

Dick

Thanks Dick. I like the Eastern view, summarised by Ware, but must admit I haven’t looked into this as much as I would like.

I think we live in an imperfect world & are born imperfect, generally rebellious, people, although still God’s children, made in His image (implying inherent worth). I don’t think we can get out the situation we’re in without the Holy Spirit’s help, often using rehabilitative punishment/discipline.

It’s interesting that most Western Christians have softened Original Sin (e.g. children no longer just go straight to hell).

I believe that we sin because we are mortal. Death spread to all men, on which, meaning the death nature spread, on which all sinned. I don’t think that sin spread to all people, just the propensity for it because of our death nature.

On a purely observational basis, anyone who has had or spent much time with toddlers has seen the natural human propensity toward selfishness. Is this sin? Well, I suppose . . . no law, no sin. Still, it’s hardly desirable behavior. Is this a sign of innate, original sin? Perhaps not punishable as active sin, because of the little ones’ inability to understand, but it’s rare that you see a wee one whose natural inclination is self sacrifice and preferring others over herself. Yes, they are often very affectionate and loving – so long as they’re getting their way!

What does anybody think of this? What does it mean?

I generally do not agree with the notion that children are selfish. “Selfishness” is, to me, a rather specific term that, from my experience, does not characterize how children perceive things very well compared to its application on adults. Survivalist instincts and protecting self from harm, as well as modeling, or conditioning isn’t selfishness.

The selfishness as I understand it actually requires a mental state that can actively process costs and benefits in a conscious manner. The children I saw being “selfish” mostly do it in a reactive manner, i.e., they just do it, without thinking about it (and it has a lot to do with parenting - they learn that if you do X, parents will do Y).

The adult level of selfishness and evil is not approachable for toddlers simply due to intellectual limitations. And I have little interest in calling a toddler taking someone else’s toys selfish than calling a wolf that’s trying to steal meat selfish. Selfishness is a pervasive concept that only exists within one’s consciousness of it (as pretty much all sins, I believe). Comparing toddlers to adult selfishness doesn’t do selfishness justice. It’s a much more pervasive and corruptive concept. It’s incredibly easy for the toddler to replace their survival instinct with a sharing instinct if they do not feel threatened. That’s why children are largely “safe” and “innocent”, their mental state is completely different. Not to say you can’t corrupt them, but a spoiled kid is simply a kid with a crooked view of the world, which is an informational problem.

By definition, animals, toddlers, and creatures of low intelligence/awareness cannot sin, IMO.

I am both! (though with a strand of Somerset as well :slight_smile: )

The only horrible thing the English have done to us recently is beating us at rugby (the nineties were difficult times for us Welsh rugby fans :wink: ).

Sorry to be OT.

Anyway here is another take (on topic) by Stephen Jones of God’s Kingdom Ministries from his online book The Problem of Evil

From another of his online books Creation’s Jubilee he talks about Adam’s sin being imputed to us in contrast with Christ’s righteousness also being imputed to us (calling what is not as though it is)…

It seems to have similarities to Adam & Eve. Personally I think any intelligence that has the ability to make reasonably conscious/free choices will always eventually make selfish, rebellious (call it sin if you like) & unwise decisions. Any good, loving parent/God would want to help the being make better choices, even if it requires painful discipline. So Genesis, my children & artificial intelligence research all suggest to me the fall & subsequent UR :sunglasses:

Thanks Jeff, the Stephen Jones article & the “Johnny and Ricky” analogy are both interesting.

Thought it was a good subject for conversation! :slight_smile:

The Stephen Jones article cited by Jeff is very interesting (and seems to confirm redhotmagma’s insight). Yes, I remember reading an Eastern theologian on ‘the wages of sin is death’ stressing that ‘death’ means our mortality and is not a threat of damnation. He - whoever he was - also went on to argue that fear of death is the primary cause of sin because it makes us anxious to preserve ourselves rather than give ourselves away.

Discussion between Alex, Cindy and Bird regarding children and sinfulness is also very interesting and has made me think. What is important for me is not that the Eastern view suggests that very young children are spotless and selfless (I’m well aware that they can be right little blighters and sometimes on an extended basis). Rather the point is that the Eastern view does not suggest that children are born into this world as creatures of God’s wrath and detestable rebels against a mighty and fearful sovereign lord who have wills that need to be broken (this idea has informed the very terrible history of corporal punishment for children in the West). They are instead little blessings who bear the image of God, as well as little blighters who are already influenced by and part of a sinful world. I remember that one Eastern Father - St Iraeneus - interpreted Adam’s sin as result of weakness and immaturity, and looked on the process of redemption as being, in part, a process of growing up (as with the history of the species, so with the history of the individual I say).

Finally, a Catholic sort of Protestant I may be, but I am still a Protestant and ‘the Bishop of Rome’ hath no real jurisdiction in my life. However I have a number of loving Catholic friends and relatives and I am so glad for them that Pope Benedict has lain to rest the nightmare of infant damnation and limbo. I know that in Ireland graveyards are sometimes discovered, often at crossroads, in which the unbaptised have been buried outside of consecrated ground. What terrible and inconsolable griefs these places must have known. (To give a balanced view, a far as I am aware, although the idea of infant damnation was first questioned in mainstream Protestantism in the late seventeenth century, before this time the Augustinian view was also the dominant and has remained so in parts of the Protestantism - although as Total Victory uniformed me on another thread, the Anabaptists - at least those of the Mennonite connection - have never believed in infant damnation; and blessings to them for showing the rest of us the way).

All the best

Dick

Correction: oops: it was **We Are All Brothers **who informed us of the Anabaptist teaching on infants and children. It’s over at Ecclesiology on the Luther and the Anabaptist thread.

Just one final wee thing hwile I have th etime to putmit innto words. I’ve never met an evil/wicked baby. THey are helpless, vulnerable nad open bundles of potentiality. So where does the bad in children come from (and whether the badness is culpable or not, children can be just plain nasty sometmies from toddler age onwards and I think William Golding’s novel ‘Lord of the Flies’ tells us an importaatn truth about childhood). ONe theory of learning has it that it come sfomr how we learn - we learn throgh imitation (for example, language skills) but in order to imitate we first have to desire whta we imitate. If the desire is reciprocated in a gving and receiving without rivalry then all is good (and most human experience/relationships contain at least some of this - and that’s the image of God in us). However, if the desire leads to rivalry (you envy somone because they have seomthing you want, or you are jealous of soemone because they seem to be a threat to you by desring what is yours) that’s where the problem starts.

All the best

Dick

Have you read any books by the Scottish Jesuit Priest Gerrard W. Hughes? I really like his books and though never stated after reading almost all of them I am pretty sure he’s a Universalist.

Hi Jeff - have replied on your thread about Hughes to this question. :slight_smile:

Great thread, sorry I’ve been too busy to join in. I agree strongly with this statement about the crippling effect of the fear of death. I found a very good blog post on the subject here theocentric.com/theology/gospel/freedom_from_the_fear_of_death.html.
The author is Richard Vincent and he expresses the contrast between the Eastern and Western views very clearly. Here is an extract, but the whole article is well worth reading:

Good stuff! Perhaps I am orthodox after all :slight_smile:

Hi Drew -

Yes, it is wonderful to ponder a sense that sin is its own undoing and Christ is Victor. I have a couple of relevant quotations from Eastern liturgy here -

Hell took a body and discovered God
It took earth and encountered Heaven
It took what it saw
and was overthrown by what it did not see.

O Death, where is your sting?
O Hell, where is your victory?
Christ is Risen, and you are destroyed! :smiley:

St. John Chrysostom

He who first said to Adam,
“Where are you?”
Is raised upon the cross
that they who were lost might be found.

And descending to hell Christ proclaims:
“Come out from here my image! Come out from here my likeness!” :smiley:

St Ephrem

Almost makes you feel quite romantic about Eastern Christianity - but I think we should be cautious; there’s a lot in the history of Eastern Christinaity that is also inglorious - and I guess we need to work out our own balance of faith in the West, inspired by what is profitable from the East but not imitating this slavishly.

Och, I know you are Orthodox Drew – well you are certainly an orthodox Anglican. The hallmark of Anglican orthodoxy is Richard Hooker - the Elizabethan Divine that I’ve revisited recently in relation to the question you posed on another thread. Hooker was quite clear in his condemnation of the Calvinist Elect who - ‘thought very well of themselves, but very poorly of their fellow men’. A lot of stuff in Hooker chimes with the Eastern view of things although ironically he is best described as a moderate Augustinian (that is his Augustine was softened by the Christian humanism of Erasmus - who was, in turn, influenced by Origen). He was a gentle soul but unfortunately - being a man of his times and a man of his church at his time – also advocated a moderate use of religious persecution (‘the benign asperity of persecution’ - as Augustine put it). So we always have to use our heroes critically.

Isn’t it funny how indebted to Augustine the Fundamentalists are? They claim to preach ‘scripture alone’, but are in fact unknowingly reading scripture with the lenses provided by Augustine. It’s not surprising – Luther and Calvin were both thoroughgoing Augustinians.

All the best

Dick

I hope Jason joins the chat – I’m sure he will but don’t know when he’ll be with us - because he has stuff to say about the Eastern view of retribution for sin. I also hope that Anthony AUniversalist joins in because he has very interesting stuff to say about Augustine and the Manichean heresy – he’s already said this on the PS thread but it’s not for me to cut and paste it here for him. IN fact he and Bird really started this thread off by introducing the topic on the PS thread.

I generally believe conservative Protestants (and not only) are unofficial Catholics. The similarities are insane for a group that claims to follow the Bible only, and the distinct lack of the Eastern side is suspicious at best. One would imagine Protestantism should be a mix of things.

I believe that from sin, grew doubt and hopelessness and these things are death. No longer could one walk confidently and do what is pure because they have doubt now about what is pure and as a result they are not confident they are doing the right thing any more.

Death was not a physical consequence of disobedience to God’s command but a spiritual one. Spiritual death is not a dead spirit or destruction of the spirit, but is mindset in which one lives in perpetual fear. It is death because those who live in fear and doubt can never truly live. They die unsure, they die in fear, they die in that which they do not know, they are blind, veiled and constantly in anger and frustration.

The gospel is that what we don’t know doesn’t hurt us, in fact we can live by faith and not by sight and that perfect love has come and drives out all fear and we can walk confidently knowing that doing good and remaining humble has no regrets and that one would not want to do the things which brings us back into doubt and hopelessness anymore.

Hi Anthony :slight_smile: Hi Bird :slight_smile: Everything you both say makes sense to me. And thanks both for the thread idea :slight_smile:

It’s really interesting to hear people debate this one. I know there are some small differences but I’m amazed at the amount of agreement. I do hope we get lots more posts.

Drew - just read the site you recommended. It’s excellent - and something else for me to absorb for Lent (it corroborates the discussion here perfectly and systematically.

Cindy and Bird - I don’t think your slightly different perspectives on the naughtiness of toddlers are at all irreconcilable.

Alex – is there a difference between the terms ‘rebellion’ and 'disobedience’ when applied to ‘sin’? I think there is a slight difference (I feel more comfortable with the latter). But I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Goodnight All

I really like this, because this speaks to me a lot, and is part of how I got converted to Christianity.

I was, essentially, converted by Hebrews 11. It’s a bit of an existential crisis vs crisis of morality. When you want to do X, Y, and Z, but those things appear to be illogical and not supportive of personal survival or pleasure. When you’re trying to figure out what IS wrong, and WHY it’s wrong, and your view is faded.

And trying to find a home.

I believe faith is a much more loaded word than just “Oh, I believe in God”. It’s more akin to what Lewis described as Joy.