The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Pantelism, universalism & postmortem punishment

Yep. You told it all.

Well I’ve offered DIRECT links AND quotes to where I did indeed offer responses your queries (again my links/quotes are not false)… that you didn’t like my answers is not germane. But listen Bob, don’t worry about it I’m not hurt, maybe annoyed, but I’ve only been responding according to how any reasonable and committed reader following along should have deduced such things as per the narrative of words between us.

Hi pilgrim, long time no touch, please show a link to the above position. Thanks

The position I follow, is found at

Which is a hybrid of conditionalism and hopeful universalism.

It’s NOT God pulling it off. It’s mankind. As the article author says:

Here’s my take on all of it:

While I don’t believe in universal redemption, I actively hope and pray that it is true.

If I am wrong, and every human being is ultimately redeemed by God and spends eternity in harmony with him, it will cause me to love him more not less.

The fact that I don’t believe it reflects my view of humanity, not God.

As my friend Ryan astutely put it, my reason for disbelieving is not because I believe God is unwilling or unable to save all, but because I don’t believe that every person will ultimately choose him. Even Rob Bell affirms this in Love Wins, so I essentially share his sentiments on this. I just don’t believe everyone will choose God– some, I believe, will resist him until they no longer exist. Scripture repeatedly talks about some who will experience a “second death”, and I simply cannot reconcile this with the idea that hell is 100% empty.

The concept of there being an opportunity for postmortem reconciliation makes sense with what we know about God’s character.

But David did not have any hurt or being ridiculed… In fact he has pushed a new idea to a very interesting point. Look at the posts. davo kind of owned you Bob. But you seem to be stuck on the idea of repentance and in other words we are no where without our works.

Look forward to your response.

Good luck bro…

So, Chad. Did you come on board on Pantelism - via this forum? Or did you know Davo, via some other context? How did you become convinced, that Pantelism represents the “best” position on universalism? I’m curious.

Yes, my affirmation of repentance seems a pivotal problem for you.

But the idea of repentance to secure salvation verses the idea of repentance securing understanding is huge.

1 Like

I’m confident some others, certainly at least one, found the recent discussions between these 2 on this thread & another had quite the opposite conclusion. Both as regards demeanor & debate.

Here’s an interesting article I found today.

It’s also interesting to read the reader commentary.

[quote=“davo, post:173, topic:13100, full:true”]

No worries, you’re hardly the first to insist that I lack any reason(ableness) :slight_smile: I can only repeat that I honestly had no idea from the familiar things you cited if you were even affirming my clarification, or if you were refuting it. I’m glad to invite any other any other more committed readers that you know deduce your answers better than I, to help me with my confusion with the distinctions of your theory that I may not be grasping.

Interesting, thanks for the link.
Maybe he pays more attention to the NT in his book; that short article did not do justice to the very real teaching of repentance in the NT, focusing rather on the OT.

I’m sorry, can you tell me what book? Do you mean Randy’s post?

I have said too much.

Sorry, I was referring to Randy’s link to Lambert’s interview.

And as to repentence, it is certainly and understandably a part of Jesus’ message. Remember, He lived in a Roman occupied country, and when a Roman general or Caesar was about to seige town or territory, the message sent to that group was : “Repent, and put your trust in me”.
That’s pretty amazing. Caesar was saying - repent, for I am coming.
Jesus was saying - Repent, for the Kingdom of God is upon you.

Randy… Pantelism does NOT represent the “best” position on universalism! The closet would be to say pantelism is in the paddock next door. There are SIGNIFICANT differences between the two views… as a cursory of this thread alone makes plain; have you not been reading. :thinking:

I sense someone has been reading Wright… right? :+1:

Yeppir - but the part about Caesar I read long before Wright.

Yes there is some good evidence for it.

Universalism means all shall be saved. Does Pantelism deny this or affirm it? Yes or no?

Perhaps Randy read the OP & the list of quote after quote saying Pantelism necesssarily affirms a belief in Universalism.

Of course there are “differences” between various Universalist positions. That doesn’t make any of them “the paddock next door” to Universalism.