The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Parable of the Ten Virgins

There’s a discussion of this parable from several years ago, but it didn’t really answer my questions, so I hope no one will mind my raising the subject again. Jesus has just been giving His disciples a run-down of what to expect in the last days (Matthew 24) and then He launches into this parable in ch. 25.

As I see it, the bride of Christ is the church, without whom it would seem impossible to hold the wedding, so who are the 10 virgins? And why ten? If they represent Israel, I would expect 12.

Oil symbolizes anointing, but can anointing be bought and sold in the marketplace, or lent among friends? And if a friend could lend it, would she thereby be diminished? It seems she would have the same amount of anointing as she had before. Maybe the oil represents something else in this story?

Why are the girls waiting all alone in the dark? The bridal procession included everyone, from what I can learn. Why weren’t the bridesmaids assembled together along with the bride herself, with everyone joining the bridegroom as he led the way to the wedding feast? It’s not all that easy to find good sources on Jewish wedding customs of the day, but this arrangement doesn’t sound like the wedding traditions I was able to find anything out about.

I guess that covers the questions I can think to ask. This parable is a real puzzler to me and I’d appreciate any help in understanding it.

Thanks!

Cindy

Hi Cindy:

The thread you are talking about I believe is over in General Theology and is titled
10 Virgins: are half “lost”???

You will find some insightful comments there as well. The implied “lostness” of half the Virgins was my particular concern about that parable…

Bobx3

Hey, Bob

Thanks for the link! :slight_smile: I did read it, and while I found it helpful it didn’t really answer all my questions . . . so I was hoping that with the passing of time people may have had additional insights, new members might have something to say, etc. Hey, it’s worth a try, right? SOMEBODY has to have heard from God on this parable. I’ve asked Him about it, but am not satisfied that what I “received” was from Him. Maybe from my own mind. You know how you sometimes feel a little unsettled about what you get in your quiet time – whether it’s from Him or not.

Love in Him, Cindy

Just wanted you to know that I’ve read your questions here and have been pondering them, but no answers yet :slight_smile:

Thanks, Alex! :slight_smile:

whoops, i inadvertently resurrected that other thread LOL

Hi Cindy,

I’ve found that, exegetically speaking, it’s best to look for the primary point of the parable and not read too much into the details of the parable. Notice that I said, “read into”; it’s very easy to see something in the parable that the parable is not speaking of at all. And it is easy to mix parables and metaphors from different passages. For example, the “bride” in this passage likely has nothing at all to do with the church. And oil might have nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.

In context, Jesus is telling stories to illustrate how important it is/was for the disciples to be alert to what was going on around them and ready for the coming of the Son of man. “Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming.” Mt.24:42. The diciples had originally asked Jesus about three things in 24:3:

1. When will the temple be destroyed?
  2. What will be the sign of Jesus’ coming?
  3. What will be the sign of the end of the age"

Did they see all of these as being different perspectives of one event, maybe Jesus coming to power and ruling over all the nations from Jerusalem? Or did they see these as three different points? From our perspective we see that the Temple was destroyed and the end of the Jewish age came along with the inauguration of the Gentile age. Could it be that the phrase concerning Jesus “coming” spoke of Him coming to power, the inauguration of His kingdom on earth? If so, that too has taken place an His kingdom, His Spiritual kingdom is now in effect. Of course, Jesus coming could have also spoken to the disciples of the judgment day.

Either way, the “primary”, if not “sole” reason for the parable is to illustrate how important it is the always live ready for the Lord’s return, or for when we die and face the judgment and we must give an account for how we have lived. The passage does not speak of believers and unbelievers, saved and unsaved, but of us all, especially us believers facing the judgment. We need to be ready for the sudden return of the our Lord. Those who are not ready are not living right and thus will face some level of loss. Those who are ready will receive some level of reward.

Being ready to face our Lord at any moment is the primary point of theses parables. Beyond that we can read “into” these parables lessons of how we should live our lives today. In the parable of the 10 virgins I can see how it is important for us to be mindful, watchful, ready to take advantage of any opportunities he might bring into our lives. Such preparedness can come in the form of education, prayer, wise use of one’s money, being filled with the Spirit, etc. If we are prepared, when opportunities come then we can take advantage of them. If we are unprepared we will miss out on the party, some of the good that God wants to do in and through our lives, and there’s no telling what “rewards” we’ll miss out on in the life to come “IF” we fail to live watchfully.

A challenge though with parables and reading “into” them such interpretations is that we read into them what we believe. On the other hand though, God can speak to us many different messages through such parables, even speaking different messages to different people. And I think these personal messages are often, if not usually, more applicable, powerful and life changing than the analytical exegetical messages, unless of course the two are combined.

For example, God revolutionized my life by speaking to me through the parable of the talents, truths that one cannot get out of that passage “exegetically”. But I’m careful to share that this is what God showed “me” through this passage but is not something that others may see in or through that parable, and it is something that is not derived exegetically.

Thanks, Sherman

That was very helpful. It’s entirely possible you’re right and I’m over-reading this. :wink:

Cindy