The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Podcast: The debate about “hell”: why both sides are missing the point

Another view about ‘Hell’ :open_mouth:

1 Like

Good point. I hope hell is NOT, an eternal Zombie Apocalypse.

“Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.”-- Etty Hillesum

Maybe he wasn’t dodging, maybe he was saying that the bulk of the text was historical, and has little (if anything) to do with the eternal (I assume you mean afterlife). But that is just a guess. You can contact him if you want from his blog. The guy is pretty sharp.

He wasn’t dodging anything, though your response actually proves his point. He actually said this…

The New Testament primarily addresses the condition of peoples and cultures WITHIN history… not the destiny of individuals BEYOND history.

IOW… destructive affliction was a suffering that ended in actual death, NOT a torment inflicted after death.

:neutral_face: ask him

Don’t be lazy so qaz… I wouldn’t presume to speak on his behalf; go pour over his articles and if after that you’re still uncertain ask him yourself either by email or as an open question on site.

His argument is fatally flawed because he superimposes his gratuitous interpretation and the roots of NT references to Gehenna in the OT, but ignores the crucial role of intertestamental Judaism in shaping NT thought. His denial that the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus is a case in point. He forgets that the conversation between the dead rich man and Abraham has roots in Jewish apocalyptic in which such conversations are envisaged. So this parable does assume the rich man’s conscious torment in Hades.