The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Poem's of the soul's bright day

Two poem’s of bright day by Gerard Manley Hopkins (who was also deeply and sadly acquainted with dark nights)

God’s Grandeur

THE WORLD is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod; 5
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things; 10
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs—
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Pied Beauty

GLORY be to God for dappled things—
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced—fold, fallow, and plough; 5
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change: 10
Praise him.

Okay, Dick – I like your poems. But alas I never had a decent literature class, and I don’t come by interpretation naturally. You wouldn’t, by any chance, be interested in explaining these to me? And what is the meaning of the 5s and 10s? I’m pretty sure they mean more than they seem to. (edit) The poems, I mean – not the numbers so much. :laughing:

I like Hopkins :slight_smile: The metaphysical poets are awesome :wink:

Cindy, I think most poetry, like any other form of art, is open to interpretation.
And since Mr. Hopkins is long gone, I doubt he could tell us what he has in mind when writing these. :wink:
My suggestion though would be to just let the words speak to your heart, and see what thoughts and images come to mind…
I think Hopkins’ style is more mystical than analytical, so you have to try and approach it accordingly… in other words, try to experience it, I guess. :wink:

And the 5s and 10s are stanza markers, or something like that, I’m guessing.
And like chapter and verse numbers in Scripture, not inspired :laughing:

Thanks for sharing, Prof :slight_smile:

Here’s my favorite line:

:smiley:

Dick,

Great poems by Hopkins!

Here’s one if you are an early bird! I posted it in April in the Poetry section!

Dawn…

In the early morning hours
While the spider spins her web
As the shadows blur and fade
And the owl flits through the gloom
When the light has yet to come
And the moon has yet to pale,

Is this the time to die, to love, or pray?
Meanwhile what better time to cherish thee.
In this quiet hour come burning dreams.
Love’s precious thoughts are born at dawn!

(Written up in the hills of Catalunya a few years ago!)

Blessings and have a bright day!

Michael in Barcelona

Hi Cindy –

You are absolutely right old chum :blush: . Poetry is for everyone – and sadly it is often badly taught at school in an age of prose when poetry is no longer the native tongue of students or teachers. Yes my exchanges with Michael are getting a bit obscure I guess– what do you expect from a couple of Anglicans :laughing: -and the two poems by Hopkins are a bit difficult at first sight - so it’s time to open up. (lovely poem by the way Michael - cheered up my day)

Now I know that you and Matt are both lovers of poetry and both of you write you are accomplished word smiths and have a natural talent for it. Matt is right – with any poem that grabs you, it isn’t necessary to understand all of its parts in detail to enjoy it and intuitively grasp it with your ‘heart’. However… if you want to go further it’s good to have a grasp of the sorts of questions to ask of any poem in order to understand it better and, it is to be hoped, derive greater enjoyment from it. I have a handout I once wrote for adult students to help with this – I’ll post it on the essays thread (you may find it useful – give it a try – but you may find it tedious which is fine).

Regarding Hopkins – it’s sometimes good to know a bit of background to a poet (although its never essential). Hopkins was a late Victorian convert to Catholicism. You always get a sense of the sacramental in his poetry – the idea that because of both creation and incarnation, matter is ‘spirit bearing’; when we see the world aright it blazes with the glory of God (you find this across the Catholic, and Orthodox traditions and in parts of the Anglican tradition).

So ‘God’s grandeur’ is a hymn of praise to a vivid perception of God’s glory in creation while’ Pied Beauty’ is also a hymn of praise, this time for the sheer variety in creation that stems from the Unity of God (‘pied’ as in the mottled multicolour of the Pied Piper of Hamlin’s cloak).

Hopkins was also a social conservative, dismayed by the dehumanising effects of the Industrial Revolution and its destruction of the rural landscape. Hence in God’s Grandeur man’s smear and smudge’ appears as a blot on the landscape, the effects of the Fall on virgin nature (although the references to ‘trades’ in Pied Beauty are more peaceful as if men can also collaborate with nature in their activities).

Industrialisation also gives the context for some of the imagery of Gods’ grandeur – the world is ‘charged’ with the grandeur of God like an electrical current; and its useful to know that the shaken foil from which refracted light seems to ‘flame out’ in revelation is gold foil (the Victorians did not have silver tin foil apparently).

Lastly I guess it’s good to know something about the form of the poems and how this conveys the meaning. Well both poems are types of sonnet. ‘God’s grandeur is a traditional sonnet – a poem of fourteen lines that can be divided into the first lot of eight lines – that sets the theme – and the second lot of six lines - that gives a new perspective on the theme. This shift in perspective is known as ‘the turn’. The second poem is shorter than a traditional sonnet but still has a distinct ‘turn’. And regarding the music of the poems –note that Hopkins use lots of alliteration (patterns of repeated consonants – shining/shook, couple colour, fickle/freckle) – this evokes he past of ancient English poetry in which alliteration was a predominant feature.

If you want to read some more comprehensive notes (otherwise stop reading here)…

sparknotes.com/poetry/hopkins/section3.rhtml

“God’s Grandeur” (1877)

Summary

The first four lines of the octave (the first eight-line stanza of an Italian sonnet) describe a natural world through which God’s presence runs like an electrical current, becoming momentarily visible in flashes like the refracted glintings of light produced by metal foil when rumpled or quickly moved. Alternatively, God’s presence is a rich oil, a kind of sap that wells up “to a greatness” when tapped with a certain kind of patient pressure. Given these clear, strong proofs of God’s presence in the world, the poet asks how it is that humans fail to heed (“reck”) His divine authority (“his rod”).
The second quatrain within the octave describes the state of contemporary human life—the blind repetitiveness of human labor, and the sordidness and stain of “toil” and “trade.” The landscape in its natural state reflects God as its creator; but industry and the prioritization of the economic over the spiritual have transformed the landscape, and robbed humans of their sensitivity to the those few beauties of nature still left. The shoes people wear sever the physical connection between our feet and the earth they walk on, symbolizing an ever-increasing spiritual alienation from nature.
The sestet (the final six lines of the sonnet, enacting a turn or shift in argument) asserts that, in spite of the fallenness of Hopkins’s contemporary Victorian world, nature does not cease offering up its spiritual indices. Permeating the world is a deep“freshness” that testifies to the continual renewing power of God’s creation. This power of renewal is seen in the way morning always waits on the other side of dark night. The source of this constant regeneration is the grace of a God who “broods” over a seemingly lifeless world with the patient nurture of a mother hen. This final image is one of God guarding the potential of the world and containing within Himself the power and promise of rebirth. With the final exclamation (“ah! bright wings”) Hopkins suggests both an awed intuition of the beauty of God’s grace, and the joyful suddenness of a hatchling bird emerging out of God’s loving incubation.

Form

This poem is an Italian sonnet—it contains fourteen lines divided into an octave and a sestet, which are separated by a shift in the argumentative direction of the poem. The meter here is not the “sprung rhythm” for which Hopkins is so famous, but it does vary somewhat from the iambic pentameter lines of the conventional sonnet. For example, Hopkins follows stressed syllable with stressed syllable in the fourth line of the poem, bolstering the urgency of his question:“Why do men then now not reck his rod?” Similarly, in the next line, the heavy, falling rhythm of “have trod, have trod, have trod,” coming after the quick lilt of “generations,” recreates the sound of plodding footsteps in striking onomatopoeia.

Commentary

The poem begins with the surprising metaphor of God’s grandeur as an electric force. The figure suggests an undercurrent that is not always seen, but which builds up a tension or pressure that occasionally flashes out in ways that can be both brilliant and dangerous. The optical effect of “shook foil” is one example of this brilliancy. The image of the oil being pressed out of an olive represents another kind of richness, where saturation and built-up pressure eventually culminate in a salubrious overflow. The image of electricity makes a subtle return in the fourth line, where the “rod” of God’s punishing power calls to mind the lightning rod in which excess electricity in the atmosphere will occasionally“flame out.” Hopkins carefully chooses this complex of images to link the secular and scientific to mystery, divinity, and religious tradition. Electricity was an area of much scientific interest during Hopkins’s day, and is an example of a phenomenon that had long been taken as an indication of divine power but which was now explained in naturalistic, rational terms. Hopkins is defiantly affirmative in his assertion that God’s work is still to be seen in nature, if men will only concern themselves to look. Refusing to ignore the discoveries of modern science, he takes them as further evidence of God’s grandeur rather than a challenge to it. Hopkins’s awe at the optical effects of a piece of foil attributes revelatory power to a man-made object; gold-leaf foil had also been used in recent influential scientific experiments. The olive oil, on the other hand, is an ancient sacramental substance, used for centuries for food, medicine, lamplight, and religious purposes. This oil thus traditionally appears in all aspects of life, much as God suffuses all branches of the created universe. Moreover, the slowness of its oozing contrasts with the quick electric flash; the method of its extraction implies such spiritual qualities as patience and faith. (By including this description Hopkins may have been implicitly criticizing the violence and rapaciousness with which his contemporaries drilled petroleum oil to fuel industry.) Thus both the images of the foil and the olive oil bespeak an all-permeating divine presence that reveals itself in intermittent flashes or droplets of brilliance.
Hopkins’s question in the fourth line focuses his readers on the present historical moment; in considering why men are no longer God-fearing, the emphasis is on “now.” The answer is a complex one. The second quatrain contains an indictment of the way a culture’s neglect of God translates into a neglect of the environment. But it also suggests that the abuses of previous generations are partly to blame; they have soiled and “seared” our world, further hindering our ability to access the holy. Yet the sestet affirms that, in spite of the interdependent deterioration of human beings and the earth, God has not withdrawn from either. He possesses an infinite power of renewal, to which the regenerative natural cycles testify. The poem reflects Hopkins’s conviction that the physical world is like a book written by God, in which the attentive person can always detect signs of a benevolent authorship, and which can help mediate human beings’ contemplation of this Author

“Pied Beauty” (1877)

Summary

The poem opens with an offering: “Glory be to God for dappled things.” In the next five lines, Hopkins elaborates with examples of what things he means to include under this rubric of“dappled.” He includes the mottled white and blue colors of the sky, the “brinded” (brindled or streaked) hide of a cow, and the patches of contrasting color on a trout. The chestnuts offer a slightly more complex image: When they fall they open to reveal the meaty interior normally concealed by the hard shell; they are compared to the coals in a fire, black on the outside and glowing within. The wings of finches are multicolored, as is a patchwork of farmland in which sections look different according to whether they are planted and green, fallow, or freshly plowed. The final example is of the“trades” and activities of man, with their rich diversity of materials and equipment.

In the final five lines, Hopkins goes on to consider more closely the characteristics of these examples he has given, attaching moral qualities now to the concept of variety and diversity that he has elaborated thus far mostly in terms of physical characteristics. The poem becomes an apology for these unconventional or “strange”things, things that might not normally be valued or thought beautiful. They are all, he avers, creations of God, which, in their multiplicity, point always to the unity and permanence of His power and inspire us to “Praise Him.”

Form

This is one of Hopkins’s “curtal” (or curtailed) sonnets, in which he miniaturizes the traditional sonnet form by reducing the eight lines of the octave to six (here two tercets rhyming ABC ABC) and shortening the six lines of the sestet to four and a half. This alteration of the sonnet form is quite fitting for a poem advocating originality and contrariness. The strikingly musical repetition of sounds throughout the poem (“dappled,” “stipple,” “tackle,” “fickle,” “freckled,” “adazzle,” for example) enacts the creative act the poem glorifies: the weaving together of diverse things into a pleasing and coherent whole.

Commentary

This poem is a miniature or set-piece, and a kind of ritual observance. It begins and ends with variations on the mottoes of the Jesuit order (“to the greater glory of God” and “praise to God always”), which give it a traditional flavor, tempering the unorthodoxy of its appreciations. The parallelism of the beginning and end correspond to a larger symmetry within the poem: the first part (the shortened octave) begins with God and then moves to praise his creations. The last four-and-a-half lines reverse this movement, beginning with the characteristics of things in the world and then tracing them back to a final affirmation of God. The delay of the verb in this extended sentence makes this return all the more satisfying when it comes; the long and list-like predicate, which captures the multiplicity of the created world, at last yields in the penultimate line to a striking verb of creation (fathers-forth) and then leads us to acknowledge an absolute subject, God the Creator. The poem is thus a hymn of creation, praising God by praising the created world. It expresses the theological position that the great variety in the natural world is a testimony to the perfect unity of God and the infinitude of His creative power. In the context of a Victorian age that valued uniformity, efficiency, and standardization, this theological notion takes on a tone of protest.

Why does Hopkins choose to commend “dappled things” in particular? The first stanza would lead the reader to believe that their significance is an aesthetic one: In showing how contrasts and juxtapositions increase the richness of our surroundings, Hopkins describes variations in color and texture—of the sensory. The mention of the “fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls” in the fourth line, however, introduces a moral tenor to the list. Though the description is still physical, the idea of a nugget of goodness imprisoned within a hard exterior invites a consideration of essential value in a way that the speckles on a cow, for example, do not. The image transcends the physical, implying how the physical links to the spiritual and meditating on the relationship between body and soul. Lines five and six then serve to connect these musings to human life and activity. Hopkins first introduces a landscape whose characteristics derive from man’s alteration (the fields), and then includes “trades,” “gear,” “tackle,” and “trim” as diverse items that are man-made. But he then goes on to include these things, along with the preceding list, as part of God’s work.

Hopkins does not refer explicitly to human beings themselves, or to the variations that exist among them, in his catalogue of the dappled and diverse. But the next section opens with a list of qualities (“counter, original, spare, strange”) which, though they doggedly refer to “things” rather than people, cannot but be considered in moral terms as well; Hopkins’s own life, and particularly his poetry, had at the time been described in those very terms. With “fickle” and “freckled” in the eighth line, Hopkins introduces a moral and an aesthetic quality, each of which would conventionally convey a negative judgment, in order to fold even the base and the ugly back into his worshipful inventory of God’s gloriously “pied”creati

Och Cinders -

I’ve probably just gone and put the entire universe off of poetry appreciation for the next aion or two (or three or four or more):oops: :blush: Anyway I promise to put a wee bit of context detail when I post poems in future but without doing a full analysis, because this is not needed for any deep and intuitive enjoyment and understanding (I just included the ‘full monty’ analysis above to make this point – and get everyone yawning :laughing: ). As for the other stuff on Essays – which I am amazed that anyone has even bothered to glance at - take the wheat and let the chaff be still. Poetry analysis is a bit like using Microsoft Word; there’s an awful lot to know and to use, but you only have to know and use that which is immediately useful to you.

Dick :slight_smile:

Just finished your first summary of the first poem and that really helped – sorry I didn’t have time to read it right away. I thought it was beautiful before, but now it’s amazing . . . I didn’t understand a lot of the things he was saying – “shook foil” and “reck his rod” particularly puzzled me. And the picture of a new bird bursting forth with AH! Bright wings! literally brings tears to my eyes (thought to be honest, that’s not all that hard to do :laughing: :unamused: ). So I’m back to read the rest . . . .

Thank you so much for all your hard work posting this, Dick. I’ve ordered a hard copy of Gerard Manley Hopkins’ work from Amazon and downloaded a free Kindle version, so I’m looking forward to reading more. But I wouldn’t have understood these two poems you posted without your help. I really appreciate it! (And hoping there will be some hints in the book!)

Hi Cindy –

Really glad you like Gerard Manley Hopkins :smiley: – I can see that you’ll respond well to his music and images; yes – that’s makes sense. I find the imagery in Hopkins often quite breathtaking too – in fact I’ve enjoyed the wonderful images in these poems long before I bothered to find out exactly what they mean (‘shinning from shook foil’ has always grabbed me – although I think I had never completely understood it’s meaning or taken the time to do so until you asked! Digging deeper can really bring a poem to life (although too much analysis can also be destructive – ‘grey cold eyes destroy’) -and I agree with Michael (Cole’s) post that there’s more than one way of appreciating and writing poetry.

To be perfectly honest, although my context blurb for the poems with all the typos above is mine, and although I have often written detailed analyses of poems for students taking exams – the detailed analyses of the Hopkin’s poems actually comes from the website listed before them :blush:

sparknotes.com/poetry/hopkins/section3.rhtml

A lot of websites giving poetry analysis are rubbish – people sometimes say really arbitrary things that have no relation to the words of the poem; but I can vouch for this site – the analysis is sound, and avoids some of the really pretentious possibilities of analysis. And you can find analysis of other Hopkins poems there if you get stuck.

As well as experiencing great moments of joy and elation – Hopkins also suffered from periods of great sadness and near despair. Again he is striking in his articulation of the emotions of depression -

My Own Heart Let Me More Have Pity On

My own heart let me more have pity on; let
Me live to my sad self hereafter kind,
Charitable; not live this tormented mind
With this tormented mind tormenting yet.
I cast for comfort I can no more get
By groping round my comfortless, than blind
Eyes in their dark can day or thirst can find
Thirst’s all-in-all in all a world of wet.

Soul, self; come, poor Jackself, I do advise
You, jaded, let be; call off thoughts awhile
Elsewhere; leave comfort root-room; and let joy size
At God knows when to God knows what; whose smile
's not wrung, see you; unforeseen times rather — as skies
Between pie mountains — lights a lovely mile.

Me live to my sad self hereafter kind,
Charitable; not live this tormented mind
With this tormented mind tormenting yet.
I cast for comfort I can no more get
By groping round my comfortless than blind
Eyes in their dark can day or thirst can find
Thirst’s all-in-all in all a world of wet.

Soul, self; come, poor Jackself, I do advise
You, jaded, let be; call off thoughts awhile
Elsewhere; leave comfort root-room; and let joy size
At God knows when to God knows what; whose smile
's not wrung, see you; unforeseen times rather — as skies
Betweenpie mountains — lights a lovely mile.
Me live to my sad self hereafter kind.

Erm – that’s enough on Hopkins :laughing:

Blessings

Dick :slight_smile:

Good shout on Hopkins, Dick :smiley:

I studied him a bit at University but was flummoxed by his sprung rhythm metre. Now, older and just a sippington wiser, I think he’s just brilliant. Boy he had a tough life, but he pumped out some wonderful poetry. My favourite is this one, the catchily titled That Nature is a Heraclitean Fire and of the comfort of the Resurrection

Cloud-puffball, torn tufts, tossed pillows | flaunt forth, then chevy on an air-
Built thoroughfare: heaven-roysterers, in gay-gangs | they throng; they glitter in marches.
Down roughcast, down dazzling whitewash, | wherever an elm arches,
Shivelights and shadowtackle ín long | lashes lace, lance, and pair.
Delightfully the bright wind boisterous | ropes, wrestles, beats earth bare
Of yestertempest’s creases; | in pool and rut peel parches
Squandering ooze to squeezed | dough, crust, dust; stanches, starches
Squadroned masks and manmarks | treadmire toil there
Footfretted in it. Million-fuelèd, | nature’s bonfire burns on.
But quench her bonniest, dearest | to her, her clearest-selvèd spark
Man, how fast his firedint, | his mark on mind, is gone!
Both are in an unfathomable, all is in an enormous dark
Drowned. O pity and indig | nation! Manshape, that shone
Sheer off, disseveral, a star, | death blots black out; nor mark
Is any of him at all so stark
But vastness blurs and time | beats level. Enough! the Resurrection,
A heart’s-clarion! Away grief’s gasping, | joyless days, dejection.
Across my foundering deck shone
A beacon, an eternal beam. | Flesh fade, and mortal trash
Fall to the residuary worm; | world’s wildfire, leave but ash:
In a flash, at a trumpet crash,
I am all at once what Christ is, | since he was what I am, and
This Jack, joke, poor potsherd, | patch, matchwood, immortal diamond,
Is immortal diamond.

I love love *love * those closing lines, so rich in hope. Genius.

All the best

J

That is one helluva a poem Johnny :smiley: all that wonderful music with the alliteration :smiley: And those closing lines - they capture the pardox of Incarnation with so much hopefulness (and psychological precision I reckon) :smiley:

Do you reckon ‘Jack’ is Hopkins’ word for ‘Adam’? - ‘Jack the very British Everyman’? :laughing:

Here a couple of prose poems by Thomas Traherne – the seventeenth century English bard of glad day.

Vision of Childhood

The Corn was Orient and Immortal Wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown. I thought it had stood from Everlasting to Everlasting. The Dust and the Stones of the Street were as precious as Gold. The Gates were at first the end of the World, the Green Trees when I saw them first through the Gates Transported and Ravished me; their Sweetness and unusual Beauty made my heart to leap, and almost mad with Ecstasy, they were such strange and Wonderful Things; The Men! O what Venerable and Reverend Creatures did the Aged seem! Immortal Cherubims! And the young Men Glittering and Sparkling Angels and Maids strange Seraphic Pieces of Life and Beauty! Boys and Girles Tumbling in the Street and Playing, were moving Jewels. I knew not that they were born or should die…’

You can never enjoy the world aright

‘Your enjoyment of the World is never right till every morning you awake in Heaven; see yourself in your Father’s Palace, and look upon the earth and air as celestial joys, having such reverend esteem of all, as if you were among the Angels. The bride of a monarch, in her husband’s chamber, hath no such causes of delight as you.

You never enjoy the world aright till the sea itself floweth in your veins, till you are clothed with the heavens and crowned with the stars; and perceive yourself to be the sole heir of the whole world, and more than so, because men are in it who are every one sole heirs as well as you. Till you can sing and rejoice and delight in God, as misers do in gold, and kings in sceptres, you can never enjoy the world…’

Last night did Christ the Sun rise from the dark
The mystic harvest of the fields of God,
And now the little wandering tribes of bees
Are brawling in the scarlet flowers abroad.
The winds are soft with birdsong all night long
Darkling the nightingale her descant told.
And now inside the church the happy folk
The Alleluia chant a hundredfold.
O father of thy folk, be thine by right
The Easter joy, the threshold of the light.

(Medieval Latin lyric translated by the lovely Helen Wadell)