The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Poll: Can I be a Calvinist and a Universalist?

Not too fond of the Apostle’s creed?
If Nicene - which one? 325 or 381 AD?

I would accept that also. I just think more are familiar, with the Nicene Creed. :smiley:

Okey-dokey!

That topic was already addressed recently in this thread, e.g. my exchanges with davo.

You did not choose me, but I chose you (Jn.15:16a)
LORD, You will establish peace for us, Since You have also performed for us all our works. (Isa.26:12)
Why, O LORD, do You cause us to stray from Your ways And harden our heart from fearing You? (Isa.63:17a)
He turned their heart to hate His people, To deal craftily with His servants. (Psa.105:25)
“The king’s heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord. He turns it wherever He wishes.” (Prov.21:1)
Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it? (Amos 3:6)

“Verses showing God’s Sovereignty, salvific work, and man’s nature”:

calvinistcorner.com/verses- … eignty.htm

Interesting stuff from Calvinist Vincent Cheung in his book “The Author of Sin”, e.g.

“Libertarian freedom is indeed freedom, but it is unbiblical and impossible – there is no such freedom. On the other hand, compatibilist freedom is not “freedom” at all, but it is only a description of what happens when God controls every aspect of our decisions and actions, usually according to a “nature” that he has also created in us. Both the words “compatibilist” and “freedom” are misleading.” [p.14]

vincentcheung.com/books/The% … in%20(2014.pdf

“At least Cheung is consistent. Most Calvinists try to act as if libertarian freedom and determinism can somehow both exist at the same time.”

arminiantheologyblog.wordpress. … -and-evil/

I beg to differ. I would venture to guess that nearly every EVANGELICAL universalist will say that one needs to put faith in Jesus for salvation. Thus if the blood of Jesus paid for the sins of the faithful then it is limited to them. Limited atonement becomes universal atonement at the consummation when the sum total of humanity places their faith in Jesus.

This question is like the supralapsrian issue. Supras who teach that reprobation is the final fate of some are conflating the process of salvation with its ultimate end.I am a supra myself but I believe that there are no reprobates in view supra the lapse only saved sinners.

Likewise with the atonement, there are a limited number now who receive the Holy Spirit and are redeemed but in the end…God (as J.A.T. Robins said.)