The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Possible exegesis for Phillipians 3:21

Hello, I have a possible suggestion for your exegesis series, if you’re still continuing it. If not, I suppose you could answer here, it’s not a very detailed question. Besides, I’m not much of an exegete, so I might be way off base here haha :laughing: The question is about Phillipians 3:21.

He will transform the body of our humble condition into the likeness of His glorious body, by the power that enables Him to subject everything to Himself. (HCSB)

who shall transform the body of our humiliation to its becoming conformed to the body of his glory, according to the working of his power, even to subject to himself the all things. (YLT)

Now, ignoring the possible universalist interpretation of the language “even to subject to himself the all things”, my question is if this may be reinterpreted to hint towards post-mortem evangelicalism. This is a topic that I have seen around the forum,including your exegesis series. The original reading, which is in most modern bibles, uses the word kai to tie “according to the working of his power” to the last part of the sentence, which makes it say that He uses the same power to transform the body of believers as He does to “subject to himself the all things.” What I want to know is if that same word (Kai) could be used to tie the transformation of the believers body to the subjection of all things to himself, which would hint at post-mortem evangelicalism. The word seems to have wide variety of uses, including so (18 times in the KJV) which would seem to be the best word if this view is correct. Like I said, I may be way off here, but let me hear your thoughts. :slight_smile:

I haven’t put up a Phil 2 ExCom entry yet because it gets discussed a lot anyway; but yep, I’ve had a note on the connection to 3:21 for a while in my private compilation notes.

Alrighty, thank you :slight_smile:

Cool :slight_smile: