The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Post feedback/questions about the new forum in this thread

I thought I just added a long post. And edited it several times. But it seems to have disappeared. Any ideas, administrators? It was added and edited - in this forum threadā€¦Several minutes before I added this one. And I normally donā€™t accidentally delete threads.

In it, I just volunteered to help answer questions - when Alex is not available. By researching the appropriate discourse discussion. And giving some software engineering and writing background, that qualifies me as an SME (Subject Matter Expert). I like to know, what happened to my thread post here.

Or should I, as a precautionā€¦edit and save a copy, in Google Docs - before posting?

Also, I asked Alex if there was a wayā€¦to check the word count, on a PHPBB and Discourse post. As I embed many of my posts, in my theology introduction here. And many additions I save from other posts, appear to be missing there.

If you wish to know, what I am about theologically. Just click on my name and follow the links given. They explain everything, like Eastern Orthodoxy, Zen and Zombies - and how they relate to Christianity.

And there are people out there, with better qualifications than I have. The character Eugene in The Walking Dead, has 3 PhD degrees. And Bruce Banner (AKA Hulk), has 7 PhD degrees. But there is a Roman Catholic saint (I forget the name), who just rang church bells. And at the end of the day, God will see that person as MORE accomplished than the 2 fictional, PhD holders.

ā€œThe happiest people donā€™t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.ā€-- Author Unknown

i found the thread referred to, in my prior post. It was under the dialogue with Alex box, but NOT reflected in the current thread. Hereā€™s what Iā€™ve said:

I use my theology thread, as a place to hold interesting things I say - in other threads. Iā€™ve included other thread info in it. Like the discussion I added, regarding a miracle in Non-Christian religions. Which I did in the thread, here entitled Salvation For the Dead. It looks like things were truncated. But I could be wrong. But Iā€™m sure my memory, doesnā€™t fault me yet. Is there a way, to compare the word countā€¦between a PHPBB post and the migrated Discourse post? Thatā€™s probably the easiest way to check.

Just a note to everyone. Alex is the person, with the REAL answers here. As he is the SME (Subject Matter Expert), discussing these things. But I have a deep understanding, of what goes on - behind the scenes. And can point folks to, the right discussions on Discourse forums.

For the record, I used to be involved - in all phases of software engineering. As a consultant, for companies like United Airlines, Allstate and Discover Card. And did things, as an employee of Motorola. Like run Apache web servers on Unix. And work on Oracle and Microsoft SQL Servers. Which means I can understand, the Discourse discussions - before I post them.

Iā€™m committed to help be, a source of information. To make things here a success. But Alex is the MAN.

Regarding a previous question on edits. I have taken many courses, on creative writing at COD. And have worked, as a technology copywriter. Perfecting writing, involved a series of editorial efforts. If someone gets EVERYTHING right the first timeā€¦ they probably donā€™t have anything interesting to sayā€¦ Especially on long posts.

Now, I am officially retired. And spend my time, doing relaxing things. Like creating a balanceā€¦between doing things, like perfecting popular romance and Asian languagesā€¦with watching non-redeeming shows, like The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead.

Ditto.
I was just wondering, where we can we send our contributions?

1 Like

Folks can find a large selection, of Profile backgrounds and User Card backgrounds - royalty free - at Pixabay.

No idea, Alex. I must have accidentally hit some button somewhere. Sorry, Randy. I didnā€™t intend to hide any posts.

1 Like

No problem, Cindy. We are all getting used, to the new softwareā€¦Both admins and users alike. :smile:

2 Likes

Is there a way when I click on a thread that I skip to the very latest post?

Thanks.

The bar on the right allows you to zoom to the end or even faster, click on the date/time stamp there (see arrow below):

Thanks for asking, please see Forum running costs :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve just put a frozen copy of the old forum on my ā€œ.orgā€ domain in case anyone really needs to check the formatting or whatever of an old post. However, please donā€™t share or link to it from anywhere else as Iā€™m not sure how long Iā€™ll be able to keep it up and I donā€™t want it to have much traffic or to affect our Google ranking.
http://evangelicaluniversalist.org/forum/

I did a search on the old Forum. And nothing came up for my posts, when I clicked on view your posts. So I canā€™t really compare, the old My Holy Fool Theology and this new forum version. Iā€™m working on 2 theories:

• Either the post is too long and got truncated in the export

• Or the new software limits, what can be seen - in the migrated post

What I did is cut and paste, what was displayed here (on the new forum). And put it into Word Counter - 56,932 words 342,497 characters. Unless I can acess the old post via a search. And run the same test. I canā€™t tell which hypothesis (if any) appears correct - of the two mentioned above.

But if I can access the old post - via a search. Or you provide me the direct link. I can then run the same test, on what is displayed there. And we should have a VERY CLOSE, word and character count.

ā€œI love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.ā€-- Douglas Adams

This is very interesting! Since I have inquired about the order of posts when we log in, now my log ins go to the last postā€¦ Is there AI involved here?

Hmmmm :neutral_face:

I always just have my bookmark set atā€¦ https://forum.evangelicaluniversalist.com/latest and it always just has the most recent posts come up ā€“ with the shortest minutes ago of posts made higher to the top.

Thanxs Brother. Iā€™ll try the ā€˜latestā€™ :grinning:

The default is 20 characters but Iā€™ve just changed the ā€œmin post lengthā€ to 2 so weā€™ll see how that goesā€¦ :slight_smile:

The logic behind the default:

Yep! Thereā€™s 40. At first, I thought there were fewer.

LARGE SQUARES:
4X4ā€”1
3X3ā€”4
2X2ā€”9
1X1ā€”16
TOTAL30

SMALL SQUARES
2X2ā€”ā€”2
1X1ā€”ā€”8
TOTAL 10

GRAND TOTAL 40

Hi, Paidion. In the GIFā€¦if you watch it long enoughā€¦they go through and count the squares - and get 40. So let me pose a question to everyone. Who is right? Paidion? The GIF? Or neither? And if neither, then what is the answer?

Randy, in the first attempt which I posted, I didnā€™t add the large squares correctly.
Please see my revised version.

Being the mathematician, Paidion - you are probably correct. Letā€™s see what others sayā€¦if they want to take a shot. :wink: