The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Promoting EU & evangelicaluniversalist.com?

do you know of anyway that titles of posts can eventually autogenerate to google and yahoo? that’s how it works with my blog.

I think they send out spiders and bots to scan sites, looking for article titles among other things.

But there are ways to salt the pizza for the spiders and bots beyond just article titles (as important as that certainly is). Unfortunately, they require being familiar with (and being able to fiddle with) the invisible code of the site.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, Google’s bot/spider only finds those 3 links, which is why I think we need to fix it, possibly using some sort of phpBB plugin/script to auto-generate a sitemap.

Hopefully, auggybendoggy will see this topic and have some ideas too.

It seems we don’t have a favicon.ico for evangelicaluniversalist.com so I’ve created one (followed guide: webdevelopersnotes.com/graph … color.php3). However, it won’t allow me to attach it for your critique. It’s basically just an “E” and “U” with a similar font and background colours as the current header.

auggybendoggy if you’re interested, I’ll email it to you, although you might want to create a better one yourself :slight_smile:

I’m happy to announce that Robin has now recommended this site on his blog. This is awesome because he gets almost 6000 pageviews per month! :mrgreen:

I want to make the trickle into a flood :wink:

You mean Robin Parry?

I’m surprised if he’s only just now done so–he’s one of the two professional authors on the masthead! :laughing:

Edited to add: um… what is his website again?!? I never bookmarked it… And while I’m sure there are a couple of links to it on the forum somewhere, we don’t seem to have an official post stickied anywhere (like at Gregory’s Corner) for directing visitors to his blog. (To his own EU blog, which preceded this forum, yes. But not to his Robin Parry blog, where he does most of his posting now.)

theologicalscribbles.blogspot.com/

Yes, Robin Parry. He had wanted to link to us, but was having trouble getting it to work correctly in Blogger, so I sent him a step-by-step guide and it’s all good now :sunglasses:

auggybendoggy I found this site which might be helpful in solving the problems we’re having with the site indexing?

www.phpbb-seo.com

So I can check compatibility, what version of phpBB3 and PHP are we running and what database system are we using on the back-end?

Cheers,
Alex

I’ve now added a favicon.ico

I hope you like it, if not, feel free to send me a better one :mrgreen:

Google is slowly adding our content…

site:www.evangelicaluniversalist.com

used to only produce 3 valid results, now it’s 16! Mind you, it should be over 1000 so there’s still a long way to go :unamused:

In the last few days, since the changes, the Googlebot activity has gone from 7 pages crawled per day to 93, so hopefully it wont take too long.

Alex, I find it so ecouraging that you are as eager as I to see people learn more about EU. I, with Gene, have long been contemplating what can we do to get the word out. He has had quite a few great ideas. We would love to see some serious discussions with well respected prominent Christian leaders that would draw EU some attention and, hopefully, respect.

Gene had this really great idea to involve Lee Strobel at one point, even talked to him, but that has fallen through for now. He was a guest at my uncle’s church in LA one Sunday when we visited. He’s written all those books The Case For Christ, etc… I got a kick out of imagining his future book, “The Case for EU.” Once he was convinced, of course. :smiley: It would be such a perfect title, don’t you think?

I think, like you, if they could only hear, they would understand and what a difference it would make. I, too, feel like it’s had quite an impact on me and how I view other people and what God is ultimately going to accomplish.

I guess I just keep plugging away sharing what I know with the people around me, though they are probably more annoyed than anything. I hope there is something I say that resonates and will give them more hope and love for others than they would have otherwise had. My former youth pastor, not an EU of course, was sharing on FB tonight the vs. in 2 Tim. 2:13. If only he were as convinced of God’s faithfulness as I think that verse implies.

Thank you, Alex, for all your efforts!

Did you mention doing something with facebook? Wouldn’t that really expose our bias? There’d be no hiding then, everybody would know our bent toward EU if they don’t already.

I’m encouraged that you are encouraged :sunglasses:

My plan, one step at a time, is to make this site as good as I can, so we have an easy to find place for people to learn about EU. Equally important it needs to be a place for people to be encouraged, while they wait for mainstream Christianity to at least be willing to “relocate the discussion from being a debate between “the orthodox” and “the heretics,” and to see it as an in-house theological disagreement; indeed to see it as an issue that Christians, while they might disagree about it, should not divide over.”

That’s a shame, he strikes me as a genuine seeker of Truth. What was his reactions, why did it fall through?

Love it! :smiley:

I agree, I’d like to at least get to a stage where people fully grasp what EU is, so they at least know what they are rejecting.

I think that’s worthwhile, even for just raising awareness to begin with. I think some people will embrace it now, and that makes the effort worthwhile.

Yes (if my wife lets me :confused: ), but preferably when I’ve finished fine tuning the site. e.g. fully working with Google, a “Getting Started” section and cleaning up a few things behind the scenes with Gene’s help.

Gene spoke with Strobel only briefly at the church and, since he was limited in time, he told Gene to email him. Gene emailed him about possibly doing an interview of someone, like Talbott (or someone else), but we think maybe he receives so much email he never saw it. Or maybe he wasn’t interested? That was a little over a year ago. Maybe Gene should have tried writing again? In any case, Gene just told me that he thinks the next time he is in our area we have to make more of an effort to explain things in person. Then we will have a better feel for his reaction and whether or not he would be open to something.

Gene was telling me that on Strobel’s show he’d seen an interview he’d done with a few universalists. His opinion of that show was that it did not do justice to the ideas and EU was represented poorly. Based on what he saw, he feels hopeful that Strobel just has not heard a really solid case for it. And since he does seem like a genuine seeker, is also really well known and respected, we thought he’d be a great person to invovle.

I do get such a kick out of the thought that his next book should be, “The Case for EU.” How perfect that would be!

I totally agree with Gene, that sounds like the best approach :sunglasses:

Dude, Alex, I’m all ABOUT the promotion aspect of this stuff… I just haven’t been around.

I just made our Facebook page a few minutes ago, have a really awesome video up already, too!

facebook.com/pages/Evangelic … 8272940316

I invited you and the others I have on Facebook. Can’t wait to seeya there! :smiley: (I’ll make you guys mods as soon as I see you’ve joined)

Stellar Renegade, I love the FB page. I’ve checked like and am hoping it doesn’t get me in to too much trouble with our church. I think most people have a good idea what we believe, but there can be no mistake now. :confused: It feels good to be out with it so long as it doesn’t shut down all communication because it’s more than people can bare.

Stellar Renegade, I love the FB page. I’ve checked like
Awesome, I friend requested you! :smiley:

and am hoping it doesn’t get me in to too much trouble with our church. I think most people have a good idea what we believe, but there can be no mistake now. :confused:
It may not be too likely, but if so, then hey! Whatever’s whispered in the dark will be shouted from the rooftops someday anyway. :wink: And at least you’re not screaming it at the top of your lungs - that would probably paint a target on your back. :wink: This way you can hopefully discuss it quietly if it comes up.

Agreed! :mrgreen: I think I’m already starting to get a feeling of release. :mrgreen:

I just joined the FB group (as Rob O) because I do “Like” it, even if I can’t yet say with 100% commitment that I’m all the way in. :slight_smile:

Thus far, I hope it to be true, I want it to be true, it makes more sense of many biblical themes than does ECT.