The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Psalm 22:6 “ I am a worm not a man”

Im not sure this post can really be considered as your usual typology. But I think typology
Is the most reasonable heading to post it under.

I am sure this prophetic psalm of Christ’s future suffering and glory doesn’t need any introduction. I have read this profound psalm many times, but it is only recently I discovered the slightly deeper meaning of verse six. For many of you who have had this pleasure already, I’m in no doubt you must have been amazed like I was, to the finer details with in Gods word, yet hidden in front of our very eyes.

Psalm 22:6

“But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised by the people.”

Why dose Christ in this prophecy call him self a worm ? What is this worm that Christ is likening himself to ? Well the Hebrew word used for worm is [rimmah] = maggot/ worm. In psalm 22:6, the Hebrew word to discribe this worm is [towla] or [tola’ath] :- Strong’s definition as follows.

Strong’s Definitions

תּוֹלָע tôwlâʻ, to-law’; and (feminine) תּוֹלֵעָה tôwlêʻâh; or תּוֹלַעַת tôwlaʻath; or תֹּלַעַת tôlaʻath; from H3216; a maggot (as voracious); specifically (often with ellipsis of H8144) the crimson-grub, but used only (in this connection) of the color from it, and cloths dyed therewith:—crimson, scarlet, worm.

It is said that this crimson/scarlet coloured [tola’ath] worm is mainly found in the Middle East, especially in Israel. And it’s within the life cycle of the tola’ath worm/grub that we find a deeper meaning pointing to the work of Christ upon the cross of Calvary. It is said that once a year, to lay her eggs, this worm climbs up a tree, were she attaches her self to it and forms a hard crimson shell, the shell becomes so hard and firmly fixed to the tree, that any form of removal would have to be forced and result in its body being torn apart causing instant death. When the time comes for her eggs to be laid, she lays them underneath her body Under the protection of her firmly fixed hard shell. When the larvae hatch they remain under the mothers protective shell, And for a few days/ it is said to be three days,
the larvae feed on the mothers living body. When the mother worm dies, it is said she excretes a crimson/ scarlet dye that heavily stains the part of the tree she was attached to, and also further stains her baby worms scarlet/crimson in colour, and this staining is to last through out the rest of the young worms life. After this it is said the tail of the mother retracts up into her head, forming a kind of heart shaped body. The remains of her body are no longer red in colour, It turns into a white looking patch of wax it then begins to flake of and drop to the ground.

Similarity’s between the [tola’ath] worm and Christ.

The tola’ath worm wilfully climbs and attaches itself firmly to a tree/wooden post with death being the [only] end in sight. Christ wilfully took himself to the tree/ cross with death being the [only] end in sight. Acts 5:30. As the tola’ath worm gives birth, the new creation of young feed on her living body.Those who are a new creation in Christ are to symbolically
eat the flesh and drink the blood of Christs living body. Jhon 6:53. At death the tola’ath worm Releases its scarlet/ crimson colouring from inside itself, to cover her young in a crimson red colour for the rest of their life, All the while creating a crimson stain upon the tree she is attached to. Christ poured out his inner man on a blood stained tree Isaiah 53:12. his blood covers and stains those who are a new creation in him 2 Corinthians 5:17 + Ephesians 2:13 It is through his blood we are washed clean . Isaiah 1:18 :-

“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”

When the tola’ath worm has completed its process, it loses all its colour and turns like a hard lump of white wax then drops off the blood stained tree.Christ when he had fully emptied himself Until nothing left to give, gave up his breath and it was finished only then was he taken down from the blood stained tree. Jhon 19:30 + 19:38.

There are many other uses of this worms red dye through out the bible from the dyeing of the tabernacles curtains/ high priest clothing to the cleansing process of the leper. It’s an interesting little read.

1 Like