The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Quote for today

"Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody. -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow-

“How could the Bible possibly speak of the perfect victory of God our Creator who loves righteousness and cannot bear evil, if that victory really means that He cannot bring His own creatures at last to hate evil as He hates it, but must confirm multitudes, indeed the majority of them, in their choice of evil for ever and ever?.. What sort of victory is it to be able only to subdue evil and prevent it harming any but those who choose it, and to be unable to bring human souls to abominate it and desire to forsake it, so that the evil itself ceases to exist?” –Hannah Hurnard-

“When you’re stressed, you eat ice cream, cake, chocolate and sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is desserts.”-- Anonymous

2 Likes

Only God has ultimate, eternal significance, and the only way we mortals get it is by joining our lives to His, instead of spending our days struggling for significance, living under the shame of failure, and watching what temporary significance we do achieve fade away, Christ offers His significant life to us all. We cannot earn it; we simply receive it by faith. He is our significance. ~~ Anonymous

“The only way to win with a toxic person is not to play. Leave their playground.”-- Author Unknown

1 Like

“What we do in the crisis always depends on whether we see the difficulties in the light of God, or God in the shadow of the difficulties.” -G. Campbell Morgan-

It’s when I feel like I’m somebody special that I feel separation. It’s when I’m nobody special that I’m united to everything. I lose myself in love. There’s no more separation. ~~ Holly Tree

I’m hidden in Christ

“It is easy to be a slave to the letter, and difficult to enter into the spirit; easy to obey a number of outward rules, difficult to enter intelligently and self-sacrificingly into the will of God.”-Frederic Farrar

“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.”-- Jerry Rice

1 Like

Only one who is nobody is not drunk. Only one who is nobody is fully awake, fully alert. And in his alertness he gains the whole world; in his nobodiness the whole universe can disappear. It is so vast. Your somebodiness is so small. The more you are somebody, the more small you are. The more you are nobody, the bigger… Be absolutely nobody, and you are one with the existence itself.

OSHO.

ST JOHN OF THE CROSS
(1542-1591)

To reach satisfaction in all
Desire its possession in nothing,
To come to the knowledge of all
Desire the knowledge of nothing.
To come to possess all
Desire the possession of nothing.
To arrive at being all
Desire to be nothing.
To come to the pleasure you have not
You must go by a way in which you enjoy not.
To come to the knowledge you have not
You must go by a way in which you know not.
To come to the possession you have not
You must go by a way in which you possess not.
To come to be what you are not
You must go by a way in which you are not.
When you turn toward something
You cease to cast yourself upon the all,
For to go from the all to the all
You must possess it without wanting anything.
In this nakedness the spirit finds its rest,
for when it covets nothing
nothing raises it up and nothing weighs it down,
because it stands in the centre of its humility.

“The true way to be humble is not to stoop until you are smaller than yourself, but to stand at your real height against some higher nature that will show you what the real smallness of your greatness is.”-Phillips Brooks-

“Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.” -Oswald Chambers-

“If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.”-- Sir Ken Robinson

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. ~~ Eccl. 1:9

“Life isn’t about having, it’s about being. You could surround yourself with all that money can buy, and you’d still be as miserable as a human can be. I know people with perfect bodies who don’t have half the happiness I’ve found. On my journeys I’ve seen more joy in the slums of Mumbai and the orphanages of Africa than in wealthy gated communities and on sprawling estates worth millions. Why is that? You’ll find contentment when your talents and passion are completely engaged, in full force. Recognise instant self-gratification for what it is. Resist the temptation to grab for material objects like the perfect house, the coolest clothes or the hottest car. The if I just had X, I would be happy syndrome is a mass delusion. When you look for happiness in mere objects, they are never enough. Look around. Look within.” -― Nick Vujicic-

1 Like

We make great contributions not because we are separate and special but because we are so intimately connected to our world and thus able to embody empathy and compassion for all living beings. ~~ Sandy Boucher - a writer, teacher, and editor who leads Buddhist retreats in California and the Pacific Northwest. Her latest book is She Appears! Encounters with Kwan Yin Goddess of Compassion .

I always stress the need for Mindfulness as the sadhana (practice) that should go on during the waking hours. 6 or 7 hours of sleep is essential to allow the body to recuperate. Take it easy, just become increasingly mindful of the small little chores of daily life, and see that instead of any stress you are in a state of relaxation. Evoke the relaxation response where there is a possibility of a stress response. That is a wonderful practice for you all.~~Shuddhaanandaa Brahmachari

"How would your life be different if… You stopped allowing other people to dilute or poison your day with their words or opinions? Let today be the day… You stand strong in the truth of your beauty and journey through your day without attachment to the validation of others."-- Steve Maraboli