The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Quote for today

“I’m convinced of this: Good done anywhere is good done everywhere. For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they’re stones that don’t matter. As long as you’re breathing, it’s never too late to do some good.”-- Maya Angelou

“If ever I want to amuse myself with an idiot, I have not far to look for one. I laugh at myself.” -Frederic Farrar-

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/farrar

“Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It’s quite simple, really: Double your rate of failure. You are thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn’t at all. You can be discouraged by failure or you can learn from it, so go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because remember that’s where you will find success.”

– Thomas J. Watson

The most unnoticed of all miracles is the miracle of repentance. It is not the same as rebirth; it is transformation, creation. In the dimension of time there is no going back. But the power of repentance causes time to be created backward and allows re-creation of the past to take place. Through the forgiving hand of God, harm and blemish which we have committed against the world and against ourselves will be extinguished, transformed into salvation.
Abraham Joshua Heschel

1 Like

Divine love is God’s very essence, while omniscience and omnipotence are only attributes of that essence. -Peter Kreeft

1 Like

“Grace creates liberated laughter. The grace of God…is beautiful, and it radiates joy and awakens humor.” -Karl Barth-

“Once you change, change happens. This is a big lesson. Expecting someone else to change is like pleading with a manufacturer to turn Twinkies into a green smoothie.”-- Sadiqua Hamdan

I am far of course from denying that every article of the Christian Creed, whether as held by Catholics or by Protestants, is beset with intellectual difficulties; and it is simple fact, that, for myself, I cannot answer those difficulties. Many persons are very sensitive {239} of the difficulties of Religion; I am as sensitive of them as any one; but I have never been able to see a connexion between apprehending those difficulties, however keenly, and multiplying them to any extent, and on the other hand doubting the doctrines to which they are attached. Ten thousand difficulties do not make one doubt, as I understand the subject; difficulty and doubt are incommensurate. There of course may be difficulties in the evidence; but I am speaking of difficulties intrinsic to the doctrines themselves, or to their relations with each other. A man may be annoyed that he cannot work out a mathematical problem, of which the answer is or is not given to him, without doubting that it admits of an answer, or that a certain particular answer is the true one. Of all points of faith, the being of a God is, to my own apprehension, encompassed with most difficulty, and yet borne in upon our minds with most power. - John Henry Newman

Mindfulness is the remedy for every dis-ease of mind. Once you shift your attention to your deep breaths and see things as they are without any running commentary of judgments, you are coming closer to a calmer state that reduces stress and enhances rejuvenation and healing. Once the mind gets its clarity, the whole perspective changes, you are uplifted to a world of equanimity and bliss.
~~Shuddhaanandaa Brahmachari

“The best thing in life is to go ahead with all your plans and your dreams, to embrace life and to live everyday with passion, to lose and still keep the faith and to win while being grateful. All of this because the world belongs to those who dare to go after what they want. And because life is really too short to be insignificant.”-- Charlie Chaplin

As the sun needs an eye in order to shine, and music an ear in order to sound, so the worth of every masterpiece in art and science is conditioned by the mind related and equal to it to which it speaks. Only such a mind possesses the incantation to arouse the spirits imprisoned in such a work and make them show themselves. The commonplace head stands before it as before a magic casket he cannot open, or before an instrument he cannot play and from which he can therefore summon only inchoate noises, however much he would like to deceive himself in the matter. A beautiful work requires a sensitive mind, a speculative work a thinking mind, in order really to exist and to live. - Arthur Schopenhauer

(I think this has other implications as well)

1 Like

“Many talk much, and indeed well, of what Christ has done for us: but how little is spoken of what he is to do in us! and yet all that he has done for us is in reference to what he is to do in us.” -Adam Clarke-

“The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.” - Oswald Chambers-

“The author who benefits you most is not the one who tells you something you did not know before, but the one who gives expression to the truth that has been dumbly struggling in you for utterance.” - Oswald Chambers

“We do not see nature with our eyes, but with our understanding and our hearts.”-- William Hazlitt

1 Like

There is no sabbath. It would be glorious to
see mankind at leisure for once. It is nothing
but work, work, work. I think
that there is nothing, not even crime, more
opposed to poetry, to philosophy, ay, to life
itself, than this incessant business.
-HD Thoreau

1 Like

But if politics is personal, then life is like a game of Jenga - you pull out politics, and it can all come tumbling down. - Gret Gutfeld

“A man’s real belief is that which he lives by. What a man believes is the thing he does, not the thing he thinks.” -George MacDonald-

1 Like

You reminded me of Bert’s song in Mary Poppins:

“You’ve got to grind, grind, grind
At that grindstone
Though child’ood slips like sand through a sieve
And all too soon they’ve up grown
And then they’ve flown
And it’s too late for you to give
Just that spoonful of sugar
To 'elp the medicine go down”

So, why is it my kids still need a spoonful of sugar from time to time?

I guess it’s true: Isaiah 48:22: “There is no peace , saith the LORD, unto the wicked.”

“The idea behind a kaleidoscope is that it’s a structure that’s filled with broken bits and pieces, and somehow if you can look through them, you still see something beautiful. And I feel like we are all that way a little bit.”-- Sara Bareilles

3 Likes

“Stop apologizing. You don’t have to say sorry for how you laugh, how you dress, how you make your hair, how you speak. You don’t have to be sorry for being yourself. Do it fearlessly. It’s time to accept this is you, and you gotta spend the rest of your life with you. So, start loving your sarcasm, your awkwardness, your weirdness, your unique sense of humor, your everything. It will make your life so much easier to simply be yourself.”

– Author Unknown

It is not important what you do, how much you do, how much of it is recognized by the world, how much you are appreciated or you go unrecognized in-spite of all good intentions and great work. How people accept you or reject you. None of these are important. After all, all these are things of the transient world of changing values. But there is a value that is core. That is to realize through all these actions a state where you realize that you are not the "doer". That is a state where you no longer struggle to create a footprint on this world but you do so much for the good of Mother Earth and her infinite creations yet remain a "non-doer". That is what is nature. That is what nature is doing around us, without doing.

~~Shuddhaanandaa Brahmachari

“Money can’t buy happiness. But, it can buy a chocolate, which is pretty much the same thing.”-- Hanako Ishii

“The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.”-- Samuel Butler

1 Like