The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Rejecting Christ And Eternal Annihilation

Part of what determines the weight of a sin doesn’t depend on the greatness of the person sinned against but on the greatness of the type of being sinned against. For example: smacking a tree, a dog, and a human would have increasing penalties. This is so because humans are made in God’s image. The Bible says Christ is an infinitely greater type of being than any other being. Therefore, rejecting Him and His gift of salvation is a sin that merits an infinitely greater penalty than any other type of penalty. The penalty here is eternal annihilation. This is the sin that leads to death. This of course would apply only to those who are aware of what they were doing. Eternal punishment is for those who consciously reject Christ and commit the eternal sin by hardening their hearts. For those who haven’t heard of Christ I believe they go to a purgatory of purification.

If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. - 1 John 5:16

The Bible describes the New creation in Isaiah 66:24. The gate is open not so those outside can come in. But so those inside can go out and see the dead bodies:

This isn’t a reference to eternal annihilation but to the purgatory of purification.

Hi Michael,

As I understand it… John’s “There is sin that leads to death” is a simple reference to the consequences of a capital offense i.e., the death sentence being imposed for committing a capital crime, no more no less.

CAPITAL CRIME. One for the punishment of which death is inflicted, which punishment is called capital punishment.

Davo,

I go along with the Orthodox Study Bible:

This isn’t a reference to either Michael, but rather an example, a story, related very much to THIS LIFE.

I tend to go along with what John and his audience would have understood as common sense in their day and age.

Davo,

I disagree. The passage speaks of a time when the Master will come unexpectedly. This is a reference to the return of Christ.

Prove it.

In which case Jesus was speaking directly to them… NOT over their heads to some nebulous crowd beyond, i.e., what Jesus was saying was applicable directly to HIS generation.

Davo,

I don’t see your point. It’s referring to the return of Christ and final judgment. Some of His followers receive many blows. Some receive few. This is clearly a purgatorial disciplinary punishment.

Anybody who understands history knows capital crimes were a reality in their day as ours. John was not suggesting God be implored as a magician to excuse someone’s potential due punishment. Yes God forgives sin eternally and yet in THIS LIFE there can be certain consequences for certain actions that likewise play out in this life.

Feel free to prove contrariwise.

“a purgatorial disciplinary punishment” does NOT require, as you are claiming, a postmortem reality. You can ONLY get that by reading that IDEA back into the text.

Dave,

We are talking about sins that don’t lead to death and a sin that does. I appreciate your opinion but the Greek scholars of the Orthodox Study Bible disagree with you. I go along with them. Your free to your opinion.

Yes… and the sin that led to death was a capital offense – simple! I’m ok that your opinion is in line with others opinions, we all have them.