The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Relation to facebook?

Hi everyone - Ive been on the facebook site, and wonder how the facebook site and this forum relate to each other - same admins/different admins, same posters? It seems this forum is much more in depth. Also (some of you may have seen) I had a small “uncomfortable” situation emerge on facebook where someone with very extreme views was using my thread as an opportunity to share his thoughts about the RC Church (of which I’m a member, and his thoughts were very unkind). Even acknowledging the wide debate about the merits or lack-there-of of my Church - it was not a comfortable interaction. The admin was great, btw, and handled it in an excellent fashion. That whole uncomfortable thing has never happened when Ive posted here, and Im just wondering if “in general”, this is a more “safe” space to be. Maybe its just a case of the typical “facebook” trajectory into unkindness lol!

Blessings!

Zaida

It’s unfortunate that an extremest engaged you and criticized your RC faith. I have friends who are members, of both the RC and EO churches. And I have great respect for both - especially the EO churches (and their Eastern Catholic counterparts). Although folks can get stuck here, in their ways and position… But they NORMALLY don’t attack you…unless they PERCEIVE you are making a direct attack, on their embraced position.

Sorry, friend, i don’t do “facebook” & am not privy to that info.

The determination of “safety” & “comfort” is quite a subjective thing. And not being aware of what goes on at the facebook site you refer to, i have no info to compare it with this site.

Discussions here do, at times, get a little bit heated. After all, we are “only human”, have our “bad hair days” (or weeks, months) & may have gone off (need to be on, or forgot to take) our meds ;

Perhaps we also are a bit like the Corinthians:

11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
3 for you are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and dissension among you, are you not worldly? Are you not walking in the way of man? 4For when one of you says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?
For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
5 What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? They are servants through whom you believed, as the Lord has assigned to each his role.…

Except here it would be more like:

“I am of Pantelism”
“I am of Futurism”
“I am of PU”
“I am of UU”
“I alone am of Christ & all you unies are gonna - burn foreva!”
etc