The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Romans 8:38

This is the verse for the day that popped up in Bible Gateway. It’s really quite extraordinary. Be it death, the devil, the future, the depths (hell), nothing in all creation can separate us from God’s love.

But who’s this referring to? “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.” Who does God foreknow and predestine?

The area of a circle is piR2. This truth is eternal, uncreated, indestructible, profound and very beautiful. This eternal truth about circles was revealed to us long ago when some clever mathematician saw the light. What had been hidden in the mind of God was revealed. Whenever we draw a circle, we actualize (imperfectly) a divine idea. Time and eternity meet.

In the same way, the truth about each one of us is eternal, uncreated, indestructible, profound and beautiful. We are foreknown. We already exist in the mind of God, and since all God’s thoughts are pure, the truth about each one of us also is pure. As Paul says, our life is hidden with Christ in God. Through creation and redemption, God actualizes the eternal truth about us. Every one of us will one day conform to the image of his Son. ie. Like Christ, each one of us will reflect and reveal some facet of God’s glory. God’s perfect idea will be perfectly actualized. (It’s very like the incarnation, where God’s Word was made flesh.)

I agree. I also find this passage very encouraging because even when Calvinists try to restrict it to just a few people, I still think the passage shows how extraordinarily great God’s love is, which implies He will love more than just a few people :sunglasses:

Gosh what a verse, eh? Amazing.

T