The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Secret Universe- The Hidden Life of the Cell. BBC

Guys, I have just watched the most amazing, mind blowing film. It was shown on BBC 2 Sunday night, but I missed it. It is on BBC iplayer but I think you have to be in the UK to access it. If you love science fiction or a good war film then this will blow your mind- because it’s **true. **

I’ve found it on Youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=P1XUJDl-9Uc

Johnny- please watch this and let me know what you think. An interesting statement is made at 11:36 minutes . :wink:

There are two conclusions that come from this film (for me):

life is surely designed

pain and suffering are a built in part of the design.

Thanks for the link, Catherine! :slight_smile:

(The link may be kind of illegal… I’m not sure what permission “Aurora” has to rebroadcast it on YouTube. :confused: It isn’t available yet for legitimate download anywhere so far as I can find either.)

fascinating conclusions, Catherine! makes me definitely want to see it. i may try and catch this on iPlayer this weekend if i can!

Stunning video. Of course, materialists hold by faith that this staggering complexity all came about by undirected, purposeless, material processes. :laughing:

What boggles my mind, is that we are comprised of between 10 and 50 trillion cells, and in each of these cells there are thousands of molecular machines that look after the cell and run all the functions etc. If you just concentrate on one of these machines, it itself is very complex and needs a blueprint to produce it and machines to make it. The calibration that is needed to ensure the smooth running of the cell, is far more complex than anything we have designed. Everything is dependant on everything else. I can’t comprehend how even one molecular machine could have arisen gradually never mind the thousands of machines that all have to be produced in the same cell? The cell is indeed a secret universe so stunning that if Darwin could have known this, I wonder what he would have thought. As I watched the film I kept saying to God 'yes, we are indeed ‘fearfully and wonderfully made’. Psalm 139:14- no doubt about that at all. :smiley:

I saw part of the programme too and was pretty awestruck by the scale and complexity of life.

I’ve just received an email from the Discovery Institute and there’s an interesting article, most of which has gone over my head, but it mentions something that is shown in the film: protein folding- a truly awesome thing to behold. When I watch the proteins folding into certain combinations, it strikes me ‘how do they know which order to fold?’ Here’s a snippet from the article:

‘‘Put simply, the Levinthal paradox states that when one calculates the number of possible topological (rotational) configurations for the amino acids in even a small (say, 100 residue) unfolded protein, random search could never find the final folded conformation of that same protein during the lifetime of the physical universe. Therefore, concluded Levinthal, given that proteins obviously do fold, they are doing so, not by random search, but by following favored pathways. The challenge of the protein folding problem is to learn what those pathways are. That’s the classical version of the paradox.’’

evolutionnews.org/2012/10/a_ … 65521.html

So, doesn’t it seem mathematically improbable, that all these amino acids are able to fold things in the right manner and order at all, if they’ve had to rely on a ‘hit and miss’ mechanism initially? It seems to be the case that the ‘end result’ is known before the folding begins- which reminds me of irreducible complexity. :wink:

Isn’t it mind boggling to think God will be doing all this over when we get our immortal bodies in the New Earth? Our new cells will have to function somewhat differently I think. No death, no illnesses maybe even some new abilities.

God may well have made the first cell, but who made the first virus?

If anything’s an image of pure evil, that virus would be it. But if those scientists are right, and we are the evolutionary result of the 4 billion year war between cells and virus, it may well be that virus’s are necessary, and without them God himself would be unable to achieve a higher good, namely humankind and the glory we all shall become. If a doctor can be justified in hurting his patient in order to bring them to full health, God also can be justified in hurting us, for the same reason.

The video has been removed, as it was no doubt illegal. There is a kosher 3 minute snippet from it, for those who can’t access the BBC Iplayer:

youtube.com/watch?v=v1MnNO4I9aU