The Evangelical Universalist Forum

So sad it's amusing...

triablogue.blogspot.com/2008/11/ … y-god.html

Calling it an article is far too kind…

Steve Hays, much to my not-surprise.

You’d think he’d bother to get the quote from the Hebrews Epistle correct in the title at least. (Jonathan Edwards counts more than a canonical author, I guess… :wink: Plus, sinners in the hand of the LIVING God doesn’t sound fearful enough. :mrgreen: )

{{Conversely, some sons have stern fathers. The strict disciplinarian. Never lets you get away with anything at all.}}

And then, some sons have Calvinistic fathers. The ones who never intended for you to be any better than you are, but who have always intended to either wipe you out of existence or else torture you unremittingly. :unamused:

Steve forgets to mention that kind of father. The strict disciplinarian who never lets you get away with anything at all but who loves you anyway and will never give up trying to get you to grow up and be a good son–that’s a universalistic Father. Which seems to be the kind of father (and Father) he’s promoting. Until it’s time to promote the other kind of father instead.

Oh well. Not my problem.

ETA: when I was reading through the end of Isaiah just now, this verse hopped out as being especially appropriate: “Hear the word of the Lord, you who tremble at His word: 'Your brothers who hate you, who exclude you for My name’s sake, have said, “Let the Lord be glorified, that we may see Your joy!”–
–but they will be put to shame.”