The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Sodom's Sin and Restoration

Yes DaveB you CAN”T repeat this often enough… this Christianised ‘yin yang’ mindset is pervasive within churchianity.

I agree, Hermano. God does not administer penalties. He corrects,and when a person is corrected, He becomes reconciled to God.
See my signature statement.

Daniel, the sin of the people of Sodom included homosexuality. That is why anal sex between two men is called “sodomy.”

In the Biblical account of Sodom prior to its destruction, some men of Sodom (both old and young) wanted to “know” (have sex with) the two angels that came to Lot. Lot tried to prevent that by offering them his virgin daughters, but they insisted on having the angels:

I definitely think Satan, whether a real person, or just a representing of our selfish desires is definitely in a ‘reap what you sow’ way… I like what Paul said, I think it was Paul. “IF you Judge yourself you would not be judged” I think, there is something to be said that if you self-analyze and correct your behavior/mindset, then you likely won’t have to face it when the sin is full grown and brings force death. This death, may be figurative. But when sin grows, the consequences with it grow as well. If we judge ourselves before we give birth to full grown sin, we spare ourselves from great suffering and chastisement.

@Paidion
I am aware of the fact that men of Sodoma wanted to gang rape the angels which came as men.
But this IMO is something diffrent than homsexualiy/same-sex-attraction.
And I think it is very sad and hurting that people with same sax attractions are linked to that story.
And that people with same sex attrection/ homsexuals were and are brand as Sodomites caused and causes more harm than help!
Are there any scripture passages in original language that call people wit SSA/homosexuals Sodomites?

Agape and Shalom
Dani

Daniel, you asked, “Are there any scripture passages in original language that call people wit SSA/homosexuals Sodomites?”

Perhaps the word “sodomy” is of later origin in English, but the practice of sodomy is mentioned in 1 Cor 6:9 through the use of the word
“ἀρσενοκοιτης” (arsenokoitās).

The Online Bible Greek Lexicon gives the definition of this word as, “one who lies with a male as with a female, sodomite, homosexual.”

The first part of the word means “male,” and our English word “coitus” might be derived from the last part “koitās”, or possibly from the Latin “coition”
So the word “arsenokoitās” in 1 Cor 6:9 can only mean “coitus with a male”, that is anal intercourse with a male, commonly referred to as “sodomy.”

I do understand Paidion and qaz but as is said SODOMY does NOT one single time accure in the bible related to homosexuals.
And I think in history it caused so much harm that we should stop using it. I do really doubt that we are heping anybody.
Why would you help a person telling him/her that he/she is a Sodomit?

Shalom and Agape
Dani

Daniel, who is suggesting that a man can be helped by calling him a Sodomite? I think you are making assumptions far beyond what anyone has said.

Also, it is impossible for a woman to be a Sodomite. The word “Sodomite” is not synonymous with “homosexual.”

ONLY in terms of how we ‘moderns’ have come to use/apply the word… however, willingly or unwillingly many a female has engaged in the practice of anal sex i.e., <ἀρσενοκοίταις> – that in itself in terms of “committed heterosexual” relationships raises interesting implications in terms of what is considered “kosher” in terms of THAT relationship, as such, does anyone have the right to prescribe what is mutually acceptable between a “committed heterosexual” couple?

IF then a ‘blind eye’ be turned in this regard (because private matters are NO one else’s business) where does one feel obliged to impose or impinge one’s personal preferences contrariwise upon “committed homosexual” relationships where the same <ἀρσενοκοίταις> might likewise be practiced? Non-hypocritical consistency folks! :astonished:

Now to two clarifying points:

1) The ‘Sin of Sodom’ was grievous and gross inhospitality – of which <ἀρσενοκοίταις> was a major factor, BUT again, this practice of <ἀρσενοκοίταις> was one of dominance and degradation… a COMMON practice of ancient (and not so ancient) times against one’s considered enemies. Israel was called to be far and above this heinous practice or aggression; and “aggression” is the context of Gen 19.

**2) **Further to this… in Paul’s day the ban on <ἀρσενοκοίταις> was linked NOT to apparent “committed S/S relationships” (such as is popularly viewed today was not even in the picture) BUT to “idolatry” – which was public fair in pagan Corinth where many a male prostitute (quite apart from the females) engaged in said activities RELATIVE TO pagan temple worship; thus to be engaged in such <ἀρσενοκοίταις> was viewed (as it was under the OC, of which Israel at time in rancid rebellion partook) as being joined to Belial (2Cor 6:15-16) etc.

Sorry Paidion. I did not intent to suggest that any of you thinks that it helps to call someone a Sodomite. It was more of a retholical phrase.
My problem is just that as far as I know in the bible nowhere people are refered to as Sodomites because of commiting male anal sex.
The greek term used in the NT wouldn’t it be better translated as “people/men who encounter in anal sex”?
I am sorry if I offended anyone. It was not my intetion.

Shalom and Agape

where does that bible say that?
Greetings

davo,

Are you saying (or is the Greek saying) aggravated rape, such as has happened in Darfur Sudan and other places?

Dani,I realize homosexuality is a hot debate at the moment, so this is just a question. Are you saying that if we no longer refer to homosexual practices as sodomy then people can’t say that it is biblically incorrect?

Well I do not know what to say. Somehow you are right. But on the other hand my point is,
that during history the term SODOMY was used to hunt and execute peopel in the name of the bible, God, maybe Jesus.
And IMO this is not acceptable.
I would like that then matter of SSA/homosexulity, etc. would be treated Jesus-ly correct.

Shalom and Agape
Dani

Although Lot didn’t initially display the same acumen for “righteousness and justice” as his uncle Abraham (Gen 18:19) he was at least in-kind with him in terms of the divine decree for hospitableness (Lev 19:33-34; Deut 10:19 Gen 19:1-3; 18:1-8])… Sodom’s way however was far from it being one of injustice and violence – hence “the outcry rising against Sodom” (Gen 18:20-21; 19:13 4:10; 6:11]).

More specifically ‘the iniquity of Sodom’ (Ezek 16:49-50) was that of in her super-abundance or “prosperous extravagance” [Gk.] cf. 1Tim 1:6; Jas 5:5 (Sodom was even compared to ‘the Garden of the Lord’ Gen 13:10) Sodom lacked any charitable graces. Sodom’s lasciviousness had absolutely no space nor regard towards the needs of the “poor and needy” even to the point of insolent “bragging” [Gk.] against such.

Thus as I understand it according to the biblical information available… the presence of <ἀρσενοκοίταις> (which actually doesn’t appear in the LXX) can be overstated as being solely “homosexual” per se in inclination, but again was part of Sodom’s broader violations of sexual wantonness possibly summed up by Judes’ somewhat vague “chasing after strange flesh”. Either way, the Ezekiel passage demonstrates the height of ignominy and inhospitality, especially so toward strangers.

Undoubtedly Chad, I’d say whatever orifices of whomever was definitely in the ball park.

I myself have not heard the term sodomy used in conjunction with same sex couples, although I’m sure there are some out there who do use it as such. To me, sodomy indicates that the sexual act is forced unwillingly upon a person, in other words aggravated rape as Chad has suggested. However, even if the term is no longer used in reference to homosexuality, homosexuality would still be biblically incorrect and not the right way according to God. God did not create man to be with man nor woman to be with woman. He created them male and female. This is the truth. To say otherwise is simply denying the obvious. We can say what we want to say, but “the emperor still has no clothes.”
That being said, people do have a right to live their own lives, whether right or wrong, as long as it does not violate another’s right to life, liberty and property. In matters such as this, we are not to judge. We are to follow Jesus by setting an example and helping others. But, we must also speak the truth, teaching others the way of life according to God. In this way, we let people judge for themselves.
I think that a lot of people have become more tolerant of homosexual couples. One thing I have noticed though, if one disagrees and says that it’s wrong, he/she is criticized and labeled a hater and bigot.

I do not want to do that. That would be the other extreme.

I just see the following problem:
If homosexual relationships are wrong and not intented by God as you indicate I do not think that we help homosexuals by pointing to Sodom and Gomorrah by demostrating that it is wrong. By doing so I think we cause more harm than help and in the end we might be responsable for the demage and NOT the healing of someones soul.

Blessings Dani

As they say “the pendulum swings”. This is why it is important to continue to work and guide people to the light of Christ. :bulb: :slight_smile:

This is interesting,

Lev_20:10 'If there is a man who commits adultery with another man’s wife, one who commits adultery with his friend’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Lev 20:13 'If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

Well, most here know the account in John 8 about the woman caught in adultery.

Dani brings up a good point, as does LLC.

But davo puts a twist that I did not realize, also that in Galatians the ‘fruits of the spirit’ really is talking about: As J B Phillips says:

The activities of the lower nature are obvious. Here is a list: sexual immorality, impurity of mind, sensuality, worship of false gods, witchcraft, hatred, quarrelling, jealousy, bad temper, rivalry, factions, party-spirit, envy, drunkenness, orgies and things like that.

Makes me start to look at this in a different light.

Quarreling?? That’s in some pretty heavy company.