The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Sonia's commentary on "Raising Hell" by Julie Ferwerda

Is that your professional opinion? :wink:

Have you ever done a real indepth study of church history? It’s very eye (and mind)opening. Power, murder, sex, revenge.etc…etc… a real page turner :astonished: It’s so good that BravoTV here in Canada has a series (The Borgias) based on church history that had to be rated R :laughing: And they didn’t even have to makeup anything. :astonished:

You’re talking about the Catholic church denomination and not the body of Christ in general. Genuine disciples and representatives of Christ do not know such names as “Power, murder, sex and revenge” in the way it is described. But I guess you all ready knew that, huh?

I assume you are a protestant. Your church is a daughter of the catholic church. Many of the doctrines and your KJV bible come from the RCC. The church service you have is nothing but a protestant version of mass. The doctrine of ECT came from the RCC. But I guess you already knew that, huh.

I guess that you haven’t read much of all the power, murder, sex, revenge…etc…etc… found on the Protestant side of the fence since the Reformation…

But I agree with you that such should not and would not be part of geniune Believer’s life.

But I have a question for you Revival… if we were having this discussion about UR about 300 years ago or more… might you be calling for us to be whipped, loose our freedom or burned to death for what we beleive?

Raising Hell, Part 3: Hebrew Perspectives on Scripture, Chapter 13: Hebrew ABCs

Julie’s focus for Part 3 is on the importance of viewing the scriptures through the lens of Hebrew culture and thought in order to correctly interpret and understand the Bible and God’s plan of the ages. She lists three things in particular which have been largely neglected: the Covenants, the Feasts, and the Harvests. The symbolism of these things will be discussed in detail in the chapters of this section.

The Hebrew mindset saw history unfolding in repeated cycles and prophecy as having multiple fulfillments. The Greek and Western mindset is of a linear history and single fulfillment of prophecy. With this in mind, Julie rejects dispensationalism, arguing that the idea that God works differently at different times in history and with different groups of people is a partial truth that results in portions of scripture being dismissed as no longer relevant. Instead, she writes, “God’s plan is all about unity among His creation and fulfilling all Scripture in many repeated, unfolding layers throughout history.”

A single symbolic prophetic image will unfold in repeated layers. Julie writes, “Let me give you an example. The Tabernacle, or dwelling place of God, was first established in the Garden of Eden. Next, it moved into the wilderness as a temporary shelter in the days of Moses, following the people around before they settled in the Promised Land. Later, after their entrance into the Promised Land, it became a somewhat more permanent structure, with the construction of the first and second Temples (Solomon’s Temple, and Ezra’s Temple, respectively). Jesus became the fifth fulfillment of the Temple of God. The sixth dwelling place of God is within all of those who have put their obedient trust in Jesus in this lifetime. And finally, the seventh (number of perfection) dwelling place of God will be permanently established in all people, after the plan of the ages has been consummated with restoration of all. “And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, ‘Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them…’” (Rev. 21:3). As you can see, these layers of fulfillment of the dwelling places of God started many millenia ago, and continue being fulfilled throughout the plan of ages.”

Julie argues that prophetic fulfillment progresses from the physical realm in the Old Testament, to the spiritual in the New Testament, and will encompass both in the future ages. This was a stumbling block to the Jews who were looking for a king who would defeat their enemies in physical Old Testament style.

The next phase of fulfillment in Julie’s paradigm will be the union of physical and spiritual with Jesus ruling in his Kingdom on earth. She sees this recorded in Revelation 11:15: “The kingdom of the world has become the Kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ (Anointed); and He will reign into the ages of the ages” (MLT).

Another important factor to consider is that our concept of “eternity” would have been a foreign concept to the early Hebrews. Both Hebrew and Greek speak in terms of generations or ages – long periods of time rather than “eternity” as we think of it today.

In the next chapters, Julie will elaborate on these things and on her understanding of what she calls “God’s Plan of Ages.”

Chapter 14, Eternity vs. Ages, will explore the words which are translated in our Bibles as “eternity,” “everlasting,” “forever,” etc.

I think we’re kind of getting off the topic of Sonia reporting (though not commenting much per se) on Julie’s book.

For what it’s worth, Aaron, I think Hanson (although he has some interesting material that also shouldn’t be daffed aside) rather overreaches trying to prove the early prevalence of universal salvation soteriology in the church. Even if he proved it, that wouldn’t necessarily mean it was an accurate understanding of doctrine (a point he often conveniently ignores, despite disagreeing with several other doctrines dating back at least as far as the 2nd century and rather more clearly prevalently so.)

So no, not all of us think Hanson is the bee’s knees. :slight_smile: (Although I do have a higher opinion of his case after actually reading his book.)

As to Catholic and/or Protestant (and/or EOx for that matter) ecclesial and political abuses, let’s not gunk this thread up with that, please, unless it’s directly related to something being claimed by Julie.

I agree to stick to the Topic. And as I initially mentioned I look forward to the write ups on the Chapters regarding the Covenants and the Feasts, ingathering etc. I plan to have alot to say when we get to those Chapters because I find Julie to be the First Universalist author I have read to bring up these Topics, while Most of the rest of her chapters have been covered in previous universalist books.

Regarding Hanson, I Could care less what he thinks but some of the evidence he brings up is noteworthy in making a case that the first two centuries of the Church was flooded with Universalist though by Clergy and church leaders. When we see the Catecombs, the prayers for the dead which Paul also speaks of, the preerved early Creeds and the preserved writings which quote or make reference to Clement and Origin’s views then we have some pretty outstanding Evidence to stand on as Universalists. These are not just unsupported viewpoints by a Universalist (Hanson) trying to push his Agenda, this is Emperical Evidence that can be analyzed and in which we can draw conclusions. But agreed some of his other findings are unsupported and possibly stretched in some cases.

Regarding the Roman Catholic Church I apologize if I shed a bad light on that Church, I think the History speaks for itself to make my point that politics affected Doctrine and Church service. But I see that happening with virtually every Institution including Protestant Churches etc. And I believe God works through even what man Corrupts, so no need to single out the RCC. I am sure there are many RCC’s that God works through and many strong Christians in these Churches just as in the EOx and Protestant Churches. And for the Record I went to my first Church service in over 11 years this Last Weekend and felt the presence of God even though the Doctrine of the Preacher wasn’t exactly Sound in my opinion :slight_smile:

But back to the Topic, Thanks for doing this Sonia, I have a few family members reading Julies book and consider it a good book for people interested in Universalist thought.

Thanks, Steve! Yes, there’s some interesting stuff coming up in these last few chapters.

Jason, when I started, I meant it to be much more commentary than has turned out. Partly that’s because I’m not very good at it, but also because of my Facebook audience that I’m aiming at. This project has been challenging for me – I recently picked up Mortimer Adler’s How to Read a Book to hopefully beef up my skills at evaluating books – I should’ve gotten it years ago!

But the challenge has been to keep it short, to help clarify things for people completely unfamiliar with UR and who might find it hard to follow her reasoning, to balance Julie’s more often Arminian perspective, and to try to draw attention to the points I find more important. How well I’m succeeding at that is debatable.

One of my Calvinist friends has purchased, is reading, and will be sending me “Hell under Fire” and “Hell on Trial” and I’m thinking of doing something similar with one of those books – also on Facebook. If I do, that will be much more of a commentary, since I expect I’ll have a lot to disagree with. :mrgreen:

Sonia

Sorry Jason :cry: me bad :blush: :wink:

Again… great job Sonia… I have been enjoying your post very much. Your getting into the part of the book that I enjoyed the most, because I always felt that there was a connection with all the feast with God’s prophetic plan for His creation and Julie put down in words thoughs that were in the back of my mind for a long time.